Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Jard's 1955 "Bird of Prey" T-Bird

curt raitz

At one of our club meetings I was browsing through the May 2018 edition of "Hot Rod Deluxe". I came across an article on the "Bird of Prey" a 1955 T-Bird street-able gasser owned by Jim Jard. Showed the car to the guys and stated "this would be a fun build". That's all it took...got my hands on an AMT 1956 T-Bird, rounded up all the parts needed to build this car. Just had to do a few modifications to the 56 T-Bird to make it look like a '55. Filled in portholes and side vents. reworked the front end of the chassis and installed aftermarket straight front axle and springs. Moved the engine back in the chassis, opened the trunk, hinged the trunk lid and engine bonnet. Decals were home printed. Overall I had fun building this model and it kinda looks like the real car.

The real car:

irdgasserfrontthreequarteralt3-vi.jpg

asserrearthreequarterhighangle-vi.jpg

The model:

DSC_0024-vi.jpg

DSC_0022-vi.jpg

DSC_0021-vi.jpg

DSC_0014-vi.jpg

DSC_0013-vi.jpg

DSC_0169-vi.jpg

DSC_0029-vi.jpg

DSC_0030-vi.jpg

thanx for looking...

Edited by curt raitz
spell-check

Curt.... I saw this Wonderful build at the IPMS  Nationals a couple of weeks ago and told you then that you did a great job replicating the real 1:1 Car ......  you are so good at replicating  1:1 cars and Bikes.....that’s why  the GSL Museum alwAys ask you to build a Replica for the Clone  a  model replica ......love your work Buddy??