Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from Lorain, Ohio

Hi there everyone. Justin here. I'm one of the two owners of Haven Raceway & Hobbies in Elyria, Ohio and a long-time modeler and slot car racer. Figured it was around time to join up over here and get into some of the conversations especially with all of the neat things happening in car modeling right now.

3 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Hi there everyone. Justin here. I'm one of the two owners of Haven Raceway & Hobbies in Elyria, Ohio and a long-time modeler and slot car racer. Figured it was around time to join up over here and get into some of the conversations especially with all of the neat things happening in car modeling right now.

Welcome Justin!

What neat things are happening right now?  Being a hobby shop owner I'm sure you have a better look and insight than I.

16 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Welcome Justin!

What neat things are happening right now?  Being a hobby shop owner I'm sure you have a better look and insight than I.

From everything I've seen, the best thing going in the hobby is the proliferation of options. Not only are we getting some of the best kits we've ever had in terms of scale fidelity and detail, but we're seeing some of the best availability of kits outside of the traditional Revell and AMT options. Many of my customers are younger builders who eagerly await the chance to build the cars of their youth from Aoshima, Tamiya, and now even Beemax. 

30 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

From everything I've seen, the best thing going in the hobby is the proliferation of options. Not only are we getting some of the best kits we've ever had in terms of scale fidelity and detail, but we're seeing some of the best availability of kits outside of the traditional Revell and AMT options. Many of my customers are younger builders who eagerly await the chance to build the cars of their youth from Aoshima, Tamiya, and now even Beemax. 

Thanks Justin.. that is good to hear in general and from a hobby shop owner like you!

Welcome, Justin! I worked in Lorain back in 1996 at the old Thunderbird/Cougar plant. I had my travel trailer set up at Camp Wahoo!

I visited so many hobby shops between there and Cleveland, I can't remember the names! Was your shop around back then?

1 minute ago, Bucky said:

Welcome, Justin! I worked in Lorain back in 1996 at the old Thunderbird/Cougar plant. I had my travel trailer set up at Camp Wahoo!

I visited so many hobby shops between there and Cleveland, I can't remember the names! Was your shop around back then?

My shop is, as a hobby shop, only two years old and as a slot car track is 6 years old between two locations. 

The location, on the other hand, is pretty well known locally as it was formerly Paul and Donna Hubbel's "Slot Shop" which operated as a slot car track and hobby shop in this building from 1971 until 2006!

On 8/16/2018 at 11:13 AM, Justin Porter said:

Hope that you do visit us Dave! 

Hi Justin...

Just wanted to say I enjoyed chatting with you and Matt..!    Thanks for an enjoyabe visit at your shop  and a good deal on my purchase....   hope to stop in again soon... 

Dave

17 hours ago, D. Battista said:

Hi Justin...

Just wanted to say I enjoyed chatting with you and Matt..!    Thanks for an enjoyabe visit at your shop  and a good deal on my purchase....   hope to stop in again soon... 

Dave

Pleasure was all ours, Dave. Appreciate you made the drive to stop in and glad we could find you some stuff. Looking forward to seeing how that Cherry Bomb turns out!