Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Eldorado" model

Motor City

1 minute ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeah that Foose FD-100 is such a lousy choice for a kit that the new Revell decided to do another run of it on it's first dozen kits to be re-stocked.  I bet all the manufacturers wish they could have such a failure.

"New Revell", I hope its better than the "New Coke"

:lol::lol:

( I never tried new coke)

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Steve, you make very valid points, and normally that would apply, but in the case of the Fooseball kits, it doesnt,  this was a one and done kit is my understanding and there was never going to be stock versions offered.  There is nothing wrong with doing a one off kit once and awhile.

Yup, you're correct.

There is nothing wrong with doing a one off kit.

The hobby is full of them and I have no problem with it.

But if the manufacturers feel comfortable producing one off kits, then there would be very little risk in "one off" stock kits either.

Especially since any stock kit is never really "one off".

They can always be massaged into something else.

Steve

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Coke went down that road as well, but they disguised the idiotic decision by marketing it under the "Tab" name.

image.png.0e29b52c7afb1a9df2520dd8b0b25ff0.png

But it can always be worse! :wacko:

image.thumb.png.bc762a69c1c9f1f225ff9b7ca4129200.png

image.png.09266c0f8623c8b1ced6028515df4e43.png

Wow, never knew about that those, but I am a Coke guy( but I do , do the Dew) 

Uggg, that Pepsi Pink:wacko:

:lol: Clear Tab,  what year was that ?

Edited by martinfan5

11 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I did.

Tasted just like Pepsi. :)

I'm a Pepsi guy anyway, so I really didn't care what Coke did.

Steve

You see, I was 4 in April when New Coke debuted,   I dont think I was drinking soda yet.

Edited by martinfan5

For what it's worth, there were a number of Foose models in different categories at the IPMs Nationals in Phoenix. Cadillacs and the Ford pickups.  

Don't underestimate how popular Foose is. Box stock or detailed, they are great kits.

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Wow, never knew about that those, but I am a Coke guy( but I do , do the Dew) 

Uggg, that Pepsi Pink:wacko:

:lol: Clear Tab,  what year was that ?

If you look closely, you will notice Japanese writing on all of these Pepsi products.

Not available on the American market.........Thank God!!!

I believe the Tab Clear was sometime in the early 90s.

I assume that it lasted about as long as Crystal Pepsi.

Steve

Revell had a contest where they asked fans to vote on what Chip Foose vehicles they wanted to see made as models and they would make the winners.  The Eldorod and the FD-100 pickup won, so Revell made them.  They both have sold great, he Eldorod is our #3 best-selling car/pickup behind only the Bronco and 83 Olds and the FD-100 would be a lot higher if we didn't run out of them so early in Revell's troubles.  I think they made the right call with these, I don't think bone-stock versions would have done anywhere nearly as well (the pickup, maybe, but definitely not the Caddy) 

As far as that Caddy kit goes, I never planned to build it as is, but I bought 2 as soon as they came out, for the kit bashing potential.

Here's the chassis, engine and running gear that I'm fitting to the Eldo Brougham kit.

I appreciate every new kit even if I'm not interested in the subject, there's always some great parts that I can use for other creations!

These pics are from some time ago, I've since repainted that Caddy black, leaving everything else Tamiya AS-5.

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

BTW, it's good to hear that the Foose kits did well, and I hope they'll continue to make more money for the new Revell.  If things go well enough, maybe they'll be willing to take a risk on some new kits.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to put my two cents in on the sort of kits I want to see when the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

But it can always be worse! :wacko:

image.thumb.png.bc762a69c1c9f1f225ff9b7ca4129200.png

On 8/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

If you look closely, you will notice Japanese writing on all of these Pepsi products.

Not available on the American market.........Thank God!!

What's that?!

1346_small.jpg.8dee67be76a1e4010b8c2ac2b905d866.jpg

Edited by Oldcarfan27

On 8/16/2018 at 1:23 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Something makes me think that Revell would have been better off giving us a stock Eldorado from this era.

I believe that it would have appealed to a much larger audience.

Most customizers that I know would rather do their own work anyway, & you would have had all of us who would like to see a stock kit.

Seems like a wasted effort to me.

I won't waste my money on one.

Steve

X2!

On 8/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, SfanGoch said:

There was none in my comment. I was stating my personal preference.  Personal preferences, and opinions are always correct and aren't stated as talking points for a debate on the merits of what these kits are. If I, or anyone else for that matter, cares to opine one way or another about a particular kit, no big deal in the larger scheme of things. These comments won't sway anyone else's decision whether or not to buy a kit. 

Those of us on this forum that prefer stock, according to some, our opinion doesn't count or is simple whining.

58 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Those of us on this forum that prefer stock, according to some, our opinion doesn't count or is simple whining.

I also love replica stock, and agree that the kit manufacturers would do great offering us stock kits and let us do our own customizing, but once in awhile, a custom kit is good to have. We need both, stock and modified kits, new tools too please! (and no whining) LOL

Here's a resin Caddy I built stock!

from under.JPG

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

I'd love to have a stock '48 Eldorado too.  But I think what frustrates people is when new threads are created whining about tools (this and the FD-100) that are over a year old, combined with the rabid Anti-Foose nonsense within those threads.  We had all of this debate and discussion leading up to the releases, and then after the release.  What purpose does it serve to continue to lament what these kit are or aren't at this point?  

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, Mark said:

The two all-new Foose kits generated more buzz than nearly anything else Revell has done in the last few years.  They're somewhat simplified yet have good detail.  They're accurate as the finished 1:1 vehicles yet leave meat on the bone for those who would do things a bit (or a lot) differently.  And, both kits have chassis, wheels/tires, engines, and interior parts that are adaptable to other projects.  Anyone I know who bought one, bought more than one.  These kits, and the new-tool modified Model A coupe and roadster pretty much knocked it out of the park for Revell. 

A stock '56 Ford pickup would probably sell well...stock Cadillac would sell well among the fanatics, but there just aren't enough of them around. 

FWIW, I agree 100% with Mark on his take about these kits and their market appeal. 

The majority of the core audience here at the MCM forum would no doubt prefer stock-bodied kits, but Revell as we know sells (or at least was selling) to a much broader audience, and the Foose name and design expertise guaranteed a far broader immediate acceptance/appeal for a kit series with that link.   

As to whether these two kit tools will enjoy a long, productive life, that remains an open question.  On the other hand, who would have thought that Revell's 1960's era Roth kits would have seen production runs for five decades onward?  

Also FWIW, I recall hearing (though not the exact source) that Revell was long considering an all-new 1956 F100 pickup tool in stock form.....but that was at least 5-10 years ago.   

Having read the rest of the comments on this thread, I believe that there is a market for both Foose-type and stock bodied kits.  But the likely target for development of kits of stock bodied cars, especially those with a more targeted appeal such as late 1940's/early 1950's Cadillacs, would be appropriate be Moebius than Revell.  .  

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd