Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Eldorado" model

Motor City

On 17.8.2018 at 3:17 PM, dino246gt said:

As far as that Caddy kit goes, I never planned to build it as is, but I bought 2 as soon as they came out, for the kit bashing potential.

Here's the chassis, engine and running gear that I'm fitting to the Eldo Brougham kit.

I appreciate every new kit even if I'm not interested in the subject, there's always some great parts that I can use for other creations!

These pics are from some time ago, I've since repainted that Caddy black, leaving everything else Tamiya AS-5.

IMG_1081.JPG

1:25 Scale Brougham?  Where on earth could i find one of these?

I love what you doing to this,the wheelbase seem spot on.

10 minutes ago, om617 said:

1:25 Scale Brougham?  Where on earth could i find one of these?

I love what you doing to this,the wheelbase seem spot on.

Yeah, if you want a "real" Cadillac, go with "Can-Con's" suggestion.

It's not the best kit in the world, but at least it resembles a Cadillac. ;)

Steve

4 hours ago, om617 said:

Thanks for the info. 

If vintage there might be some quirks ^_^

Not sure i dare look for one if this is vintage,i always had this idea this kit where 1:30 scale-ish.

Every time I see one of these built, I kind of wonder how they did it!

Seems to me it will be a very finicky build.

With it's 2 piece body with the lower half molded to the chassis and separate top with trim molded to the glass, just to name a few weird features, it doesn't look like an easy one.

Not sure what the scale is exactly, but it looks to be too short to be 1/25th. 

Steve

2v2JFGHFuxwUbWP.jpg2v2JFGH8QxwUbWP.jpg2v2JFGavaxwUbWP.jpg

OK, I guess I will have to be the oddball in the group as I bought a few of the Foose Caddy's. One will be built box stock, as I think this is probably Foose's best work. The others are admittedly parts kits. One for the aforementioned Revell Caddy chassis conversion (way back burner project) and the last one for uhmmmm, whatever! Now if it had been stock only, well probably none would have made it to checkout in my hands. So not everyone wants only stock versions.

Edited by socal76

image.png.ce468df3f48035f2a61995e8f24225e7.png

Does not look to bad here,from the other angle the wheels seem a tad too big,maby just the pictures.

Steven. Sure looks overcomplicated,will have to give it some thought. I missed out on a resin 60 Brougham so

this will probably be my only chance to have one of these fantastic Broughams.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:56 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yup, you're correct.

There is nothing wrong with doing a one off kit.

The hobby is full of them and I have no problem with it.

But if the manufacturers feel comfortable producing one off kits, then there would be very little risk in "one off" stock kits either.

Especially since any stock kit is never really "one off".

They can always be massaged into something else.

Steve

Like the Bronco? But I haven't heard a lot about it from the custom/hot rodder, off road guys about how it would be better if it was done as one of those versions instead of stock.

1 hour ago, om617 said:

image.png.ce468df3f48035f2a61995e8f24225e7.png

Does not look to bad here,from the other angle the wheels seem a tad too big,maby just the pictures.

Steven. Sure looks overcomplicated,will have to give it some thought. I missed out on a resin 60 Brougham so

this will probably be my only chance to have one of these fantastic Broughams.

I've heard and read several knowledgeable people say that this kit measures out very well as a 1/25 scale replica.  It's not as long as a regular Cadillac.  The only big issue is that the front fenders, hood, and front bumper are slightly short ahead of the front wheels, with the bumper bullets being longer to make up the overall length.  I'm planning on plumbing some of the parts from the Foose custom into one of these, once I get a second body to correct this kit.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Luc Janssens said:

It's my understanding that Walmart picked up the tab for these and a slew of post promo developed model kits, solely due to their buying power.

Now that said, I'm sure there's a market for those Classic Cadillacs, as well as '50s Buicks, but I suspect companies are gunshy, because they' don't know the numbers, and they do need numbers in order to get their investment topped with profit back.

BTW are the US modelers prepared to spend $50 for a model kit of "non-muscle" cars, the 250K question ;)

Buy the time these were out Walmart had already stopped stocking models at every store in the chain and had tried putting them back into a few stores on a trial basis that lasted less than a year and was discontinued after Christmas of that year. And NEITHER of the Foose kits (other than the ones that were just wheels and decals) showed up in ANY of the stores that I saw in California.

The Revell Eldorado Brougham is a relic of '50's kit tooling. The glass looks "puffy", the front end proportions are too short, tires too tall. Takes a dedicated artist like Dennis to give it the silk purse treatment. It's a step above a Pyro '48 Lincoln or Auburn Speedster, but it's not a precision model by any stretch. Nice for the time period as a nostalgia piece while modern kits blow it away. 

The Franklin Mint Eldorado Brougham sweeps the floor with the old Revell kit. If you are patient and like to hunt you can snag one cheaper than a Revell kit. You can then refinish to your liking. 

I love the Foose Cadillac, have enjoyed seeing so many built and customized further-it's a great canvas to work with. I have plans for the Eldorod with my personal spin on the subject; I've always found the '53 Eldorado boring...the Skylark stole the show that year as well as the Corvette.

That old kit does have some funky proportions and no chassis, no open hood.

I lengthened the front and since the body is multi-piece, I chose to add to the fender tops above the wheel opening, but to keep that opening in tact, I lengthened the lower body at the door to fender seam.

I opened the hood and hinged it to flip forward, had to lengthen the hood as well, then added the Foose underhood stuff.

I cut away the bottom and added the Foose floor pan, so the Foose chassis fits perfectly.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0955 (Large).JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

5 hours ago, horsepower said:

Buy the time these were out Walmart had already stopped stocking models at every store in the chain and had tried putting them back into a few stores on a trial basis that lasted less than a year and was discontinued after Christmas of that year. And NEITHER of the Foose kits (other than the ones that were just wheels and decals) showed up in ANY of the stores that I saw in California.

It seems I failed to make my point

59 Eldorado or '65 Impala, or the AMT '58 Edsel or '62 Belair were developed at a time when Walmart picked up the tab for these and a whole slew of post promo developed model kits, solely due to their buying power.

IIRC Walmart pulled the plug shortly after the acquisition of Revell -Monogram by Hobbico in 2007.

46 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

59 Eldorado or '65 Impala, or the AMT '58 Edsel or '62 Belair were developed at a time when Walmart picked up the tab for these and a whole slew of post promo developed model kits, solely due to their buying power.

IIRC Walmart pulled the plug shortly after the acquisition of Revell -Monogram by Hobbico in 2007.

I don't think Wal*Mart necessarily held as much sway with Revell as it did in Dyersville.  Especially with those earlier kits like the Eldorado, Tri-Fives, '50 Ford & '65 Impala which were all done in the early/mid 90s.  AMT/Ertl however created specific packaging specifically for them, those awful checkerboard boxes, and there were rumors that several projects were canceled because they didn't impress Wal*Mart's buyers (like the AMT '50 Oldsmobile).  Those checkerboard boxes didn't come along until the 2000s.

2 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I don't think Wal*Mart necessarily held as much sway with Revell as it did in Dyersville.  Especially with those earlier kits like the Eldorado, Tri-Fives, '50 Ford & '65 Impala which were all done in the early/mid 90s.  AMT/Ertl however created specific packaging specifically for them, those awful checkerboard boxes, and there were rumors that several projects were canceled because they didn't impress Wal*Mart's buyers (like the AMT '50 Oldsmobile).  Those checkerboard boxes didn't come along until the 2000s.

In '03 a friend I was visiting and who at that point in time worked for Revell said, if Walmart stops selling model kits, Revell is out of business,.

Hobbico's less than intelligent business practices were the causes for Revell's recent difficulties, not because Walmart stopped selling models. It hasn't been an issue for Round2 or any other kit manufacturer. Didn't make any difference to me if they did or didn't sell models. I never shop in a place that sells car tires,  swimming pool chemicals and groceries from the same location anyway. :D 

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

I misunderstood you. I got that you were saying the Foose kits were underwritten by Wally World, sorry for the misunderstanding. ?

Edited by horsepower

18 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Hobbico's less than intelligent business practices were the causes for Revell's recent difficulties, not because Walmart stopped selling models. It hasn't been an issue for Round2 or any other kit manufacturer. Didn't make any difference to me if they did or didn't sell models. I never shop in a place that sells car tires,  swimming pool chemicals and groceries from the same location anyway. :D 

Post isn't the same as prior Walmart era US model kit industry, the difference is in the payroll

Numbers to corroborate that would be appreciated. Also, as mentioned in another Revell thread in General, model cars weren't the only line kits Revell produces(d). Round2 doesn't need Walmart to ensure sales of its Star Trek franchise are going through the roof, either.