Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Eldorado" model

Motor City

Curious but did you add between the door and fender also to lenghten the fender?

Yes I did, because the upper fender is separate from the lower fender I lengthened the upper fender at the smallest point, center of the wheel opening, but for the lower fender I did it where the door meets the fender.

If you have the kit, you'll see how it makes more sense this way, with the scoops on top of the fenders, and the relationship of the wheel opening to the front for the lower part.

I haven't worked on it for some time but I also made some really cool wheels and tires for it by kit bashing various kit parts.

I don't have a cool picture of it yet, but I do have this:

IMG_1337.JPG

3 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Curious but did you add between the door and fender also to lenghten the fender?

Yes I did, because the upper fender is separate from the lower fender I lengthened the upper fender at the smallest point, center of the wheel opening, but for the lower fender I did it where the door meets the fender.

If you have the kit, you'll see how it makes more sense this way, with the scoops on top of the fenders, and the relationship of the wheel opening to the front for the lower part.

I haven't worked on it for some time but I also made some really cool wheels and tires for it by kit bashing various kit parts.

IMG_1337.JPG

Something along these lines would have been a much better choice for a new kit than the Foose Cadillac in my opinion.

This is immediately identifiable as a Cadillac, custom or not.

The Foose kit could just as easily be a modified '51 Chevy!

I like it Dennis!

Steve

Some guys in the Cadillac club will hate me for this, but I always thought the '57-'58 Eldorado Brougham looked like it was designed by a committee.  From the side, the front fender and front door have tasteful use of chrome.  The rear quarter trim is a continuation of the rear bumper, and the rear door tries to blend in all of this mess.  It just doesn't work.  The Continental Mark II was much more tasteful looking.

3 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Strange that it only lasted 2 years.

Steve

They lost money on every one they sold, so maybe it's not that strange.  The Continental did survive as a separate make until 1960, albeit as a fancier version of the Lincoln,  and people seem to like to pretend the Continental Mk III, IV, and V never happened.

IMG_1337.JPG

I tried to change one of these into something more sane looking back in the late '90's,  only for the body to fall on the floor and break where I did the body work. :(

I had it all planned out/fixed where the corrections need to be.........one of the biggest errors to me is the placement/shape of the roof and rear window.

Yours looks REALLY good, and maybe I'll try to dig mine out from the pile and get working on it again someday.

23 hours ago, dino246gt said:

IMG_1337.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Sure look good.

Better start searching,since i do not have a bunch of projects already -_-

On 8/23/2018 at 10:44 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Strange that it only lasted 2 years.

Steve

Sad thing was, the next-generation '58 Continental Mark III was originally intended to have a much stronger resemblance to the Mark II :wub: :

berline7.JPG.0d848bb651e4bcc94f0e493e4fa6cebf.JPG

berline.jpg.deeeff5c6500fdeedb7826c814da2f44.jpg

Berline-1958-rq2.jpg.75a03b59b201d93933572bc2494e1a3c.jpg

Instead we got the cross-eyed monster based on the full-size Lincoln, aka "the box the Mark II came in". :(

• 6 months later...

I'm still working on this Caddy, or should I say, I've gotten back to working on it. Detailed the interior, somewhat, good enough anyway, polished that black, oh man it's smooth, got the chassis, suspension and wheels/tires on, also drilled out the headlights. I'm leaving the roof and glass for last as it certainly is terrible looking! The whole front bumper/grill will also have to be "re-imagined" as it's too wide and too tall, and just plain too funky! Also have to scratch up some kind on engine cover. Anyway, this thread sure got off track, I hope to bring it back, back to Cadillac, enjoy the progress pictures and comment away, good or bad!

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

• 4 weeks later...