Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '71 Plymouth Duster 340

Casey

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

side view of an original MPC 1971 Duster

s-l1600.jpg

To be honest, Ive never really paid close enough attention the modern version to really say its better , equal to or worst than an original. I have several original issue MPC versions ( 1971 and 72's ) but never compared them side by side .

I have an unbuilt MPC '71 (or maybe '72--I never can remember which it is, but it's the one with all the goofy, Zinger-like parts). If I get serious about correcting the AMT body, I suppose I could take silicone molds of the affected roof areas off the MPC body, cast them, and mold the pieces into the AMT. 

4 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Can you show me what part you are talking about that needs to be fixed . Please ?

On the real car, there's a kink/bend/corner where the section along the roof transitions into the rear quarter window opening's edge. On the AMT model, that transition is a nice, smooth arc, with no kink nor bend to it:

71dustside.jpg.383fe7013c38660c873150cd220741fb.jpg

amt71dusterside.jpg.b3e5b78fa350df253e050c133a37a6e0.jpg

Ironically, the new box art drawing seems to show the upper corner with a proper kink. -_-

Edited by Casey

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

On the real car, there's a kink/bend/corner where the section along the roof transitions into the rear quarter window opening's edge. On the AMT model, that transition is a nice, smooth arc, with no kink nor bend to it:

Ironically, the new box art drawing seems to show the upper corner with a proper kink. -_-

Ok Casey thank you I now see what everybody is talking about ,that is an easy fix .

Anyone have pictures showing the AMT kit after altered ?

has anyone actually fixed it . Ive built one of the AMT kits and never really noticed this issue, till now.

I gave the kit to my brother as a replica of his actual car.

I have several of each the 71s and the 72s so its not likely I'll ever attempt to repair one myself

Snake, the 71 was the one with all the goofy add  on stuff.

image.png.cfb50f9368bb5e429223032055926454.png

the 72 is boxed art as the Arlen Vanke pro stock kit

image.png.09a0e76074e39a53d8dca87504525ccd.png

3 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Anyone have pictures showing the AMT kit after altered ?

has anyone actually fixed it . Ive built one of the AMT kits and never really noticed this issue, till now.

I gave the kit to my brother as a replica of his actual car.

I have several of each the 71s and the 72s so its not likely I'll ever attempt to repair one myself

... but still has the goofy parts as well ; the exact parts as its 1971 predecessor . Too bad that the '72 didn't include a Hemi --- that would have made the Vanke version look closer-to-correct ( excepting , of course , the stock interior and chassis ) .

72-1972-duster-akron-arlen-pro-stock_1_2b6e5b58d46fa4a60dc6a2df38eeee14.jpg.25ffc7c0adaa7bff0b13a7ff0483b977.jpg

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I see it, exactly as you describe! No way to fix that on a pre-painted without vinyling the top, but I'm pretty sure I could carve/file/sand the right shape out of naked styrene (i.e., the kit body).

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

Thanks! I don't still have the box for some mysterious reason, but have everything else. I should go down and check the instructions/decals and see. But it's molded in a bright lemony yellow, if that's any clue. 

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks! I don't still have the box for some mysterious reason, but have everything else. I should go down and check the instructions/decals and see. But it's molded in a bright lemony yellow, if that's any clue. 

Both were molded in yellow. the 71 seems to be more a subdued toned down yellow and the 72 is a brighter yellow

I also have a 1972 that's molded in a color very similar to curious yellow ( more a greenish yellow )

Biggest and most notable difference between them is the taillights ( as well as sidemarkers and interior patterns )

1972 only

1972-duster-1.jpg

1970 and 71 were the same

2.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

50 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Both were molded in yellow. the 71 seems to be more a subdued toned down yellow and the 72 is a brighter yellow

I also have a 1972 that's molded in a color very similar to curious yellow ( more a greenish yellow )

Biggest and most notable difference between them is the taillights ( as well as sidemarkers and interior patterns )

1970 and 71 were the same

2.jpg

Okay, I went down in the Snakepit and looked. It's a '71, "DUSTER 6 PACK" decals. 

It's YOUR job to remember this, as I'm sure the next time this topic comes up, I'll have forgotten again. :lol: Or maybe I'll be able to remember that I do NOT have the Arlen Vanke decals, which would be '72.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Okay, I went down in the Snakepit and looked. It's a '71, "DUSTER 6 PACK" decals. 

It's YOUR job to remember this, as I'm sure the next time this topic comes up, I'll have forgotten again. :lol: Or maybe I'll be able to remember that I do NOT have the Arlen Vanke decals, which would be '72.

OR,

Just send it to me and you no longer have to remember anything ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just an option for you    . I'm a nice guy like that .  LOL

On 8/17/2018 at 3:55 PM, alexis said:

I'd be more likely to buy one if it was a 2'n'1 kit. Even with the HL 40% Coupon, on One & Done version of the kit does nothing for me. Having no building options, takes much of the fun out the whole process for me.

The other version of this was a ridiculously 90's Street Machine with Viper GTS wheels and V-10 engine style intake.  I don't know if it's possible to run this kit as a 2 n 1 some of the other kits of that era like the 41 Ford Woody were designed to only be ran one way or the other. 

Edited by Brett Barrow

The street machine version had a Viper style intake and some other new parts, but the engine was the 340.

With the original annual kits, the '71 has a smooth trunk lid while the '72 has the center peak (which was phased in during '71 from what I have read).  '72 taillight holes are more squared off also.

49 minutes ago, Mark said:

The street machine version had a Viper style intake and some other new parts, but the engine was the 340.

With the original annual kits, the '71 has a smooth trunk lid while the '72 has the center peak (which was phased in during '71 from what I have read).  '72 taillight holes are more squared off also.

That's what I get for counting the sets of runners! Thanks for the correction. 

Brett, I hear what you are saying. Either way, this kit will not get me to open my wallet. However, I'll need more Mountain Goat kits, and the Forty Sedan, and another PolyGlass Gasser, and...........ect.ect.

So Round2 will still get my money. Just not on that kit.

16 minutes ago, Brett Barrow said:

That's what I get for counting the sets of runners! Thanks for the correction. 

Then again, if you counted the molded-in rocker arms on the 340 heads, you could have come to that conclusion too...

The 1:1 Viper engine looks smaller than it is when you see one out of a car.  I've seen one off and on at one of the local swap meets, and had the bright idea to try stuffing one into a Duster kit underbody.  That thing ain't anywhere near to fitting: it's pretty long, and the oil pan gets in the way of everything... 

• 4 weeks later...

Amt did miss the mark on the greenhouse of the 71 kit but MPC didn’t get it right either . If you look at the promo the roof is actually a too tall but the 1/4 window area is a bit more accurate. Solution fix’em both ! Nice to see the kit come back either way! As for the Demon , it wouldn’t be a big stretch to see them kit it at some point, tailpanel and front clip !

On 8/22/2018 at 12:30 PM, Brett Barrow said:

.  I don't know if it's possible to run this kit as a 2 n 1 some of the other kits of that era like the 41 Ford Woody were designed to only be ran one way or the other. 

While this is true, Round2 has bypassed this issue before, with the 60 Starliner and 62 Catalina 2n1's. Man, those boxes were jam packed with parts, and they had some of the best modern boxart IMHO.

So, it can be done if they really want to ;)

Image result for amt 60 ford starliner Related image

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, Snake45 said:

They're never going to fix it. If you don't like it, you're going to have to suck it up and fix it yourself, or do without. 

I get where you're coming from. I'm constantly having to fix incorrect shapes or contours on kit bodies myself. That's what modelers do. B)

I didn't find it to be a difficult change to make. I removed the drip moulding and filed and sanded the window to what I hope is a more accurate shape. Then I glued styrene strip to the sides to recreate the drip moulding. Then again, this car was important enough to me to go through this exercise!

AMT Duster side window.jpg