Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '71 Plymouth Duster 340

Casey

5 minutes ago, Smitty said:

I didn't find it to be a difficult change to make. I removed the drip moulding and filed and sanded the window to what I hope is a more accurate shape. Then I glued styrene strip to the sides to recreate the drip moulding. Then again, this car was important enough to me to go through this exercise!

AMT Duster side window.jpg

Now that works .....Nice job !

One of the most-obvious fixes that can be made to the body is to file the inside of the body , just-below the doors' upper-edge . For whatever reason , the body's too thick in that region ---- the issue ? The completed interior / platform doesn't want to sit-properly inside the untouched body . I have seen this malady on quite a few completed kits --- this is something that affects the way the car sits ; cockeyed and raised on one side .

The other issue is that the windscreen and backlite are undercut and too thick . Other than performing a "roll-your-own" approach via clear acetate sheeting ( Mr. Mike did this very thing on his 1970 conversion --- hopefully he'll chime-in on this ) .

Then there's the wonky wipers ( Palmer-esque "blobs" ) and the so-so door handles (an easy fix / replacement) . Wipers ostensibly require complete removal via tedious filing --- whilst avoiding damage to the cowl ... :unsure: 

Edited by 1972coronet

Great to see that the Duster is coming back! These are great kits, but they're not so easy to find anymore. I've had one 1970 grille laying around for a few years, as a friend of mine cast a few of those in resin and I got one of them. So now I can finally put that into a good use.B)