Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mobile Starting Gate

Hi-Po

Three or four months ago I was looking through the an issue of Hot Rod Magazine when I came across a short article about a 1954 Buick Mobile Starting Gate.  The subject matter really caught my interest and I saved the article for later reference.  It was a month or so later when I decided that I was going to attend the IPMS Nationals in Phoenix, AZ.  It was at this time that I decided to build the mobile starting gate.

I was not able to find a suitable '54 Buick, injected or resin, so I did some research and discovered that any number of different vehicles have been used as starting gates.  I settled on the MPC 1970 Pontiac Bonneville because I wanted a LONG vehicle to accommodate eight gate positions.  Note:  the Pontiac is really showing its age.  Lots of flash, soft moldings, warpage, etc.

The entire starting gate was scratch built using styrene rod, tubing and rectangular tubing.  Other items that were scratch built include the control pedestal, chair, loudspeakers (front and rear), gate supports and the clipboard on the front seat.  The Pontiac was modified by scratch building a trunk lid cover that hides the supporting framework and mechanicals for the starting gate.  The kits molded in headlights were drilled out and replaced with clear lenses.  I used various sizes of wire for the electrical and hydraulic lines.

The model was painted using Tamiya Light Sand Metallic (TS 700) for the car body.  The interior was painted Model Masters Leather.  The starting gate is a mixture of Tamiya and Model Masters paints.  The decals were produce on my home computer and transferred to Microscale Decal Paper using a laser printer at the local FedEx store.

This was a fun and enjoyable build and I was able to finish it in time to enter it in the Nationals were it took first place in its class.

Enjoy the photos.

P8140084.JPG

P7230004.JPG

P7230005.JPG

P8140076.JPG

P8140078.JPG

P8140079.JPG

P8140080.JPG

P8140081.JPG

P8140082.JPG

P8140083.JPG

This is really something special. Beyond the paint and interior finishes, the making of the swing gates is perfect. I remember see this type of vehicle used at the Arlington Race Track out side of Chicago when I was growing up.

I had a great uncle that went to the horse races a lot.  I went with him a number of times.  I had forgotten about the track using a car like this to start the races until I saw your model.  Thanks for bringing back some memories.  Superbly built model!