Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beverage trailer

It wouldn't be too hard to scratch build. I bet I have enough unused rear roll-up doors from the Ford Louisville kits to make all those narrow roll-up doors. Then either the Coke decals from the Louisville kits or the Coors decals from the Bill Elliot hauler. Parts of the Louisville box and parts of the Elliot hauler could be used for the body, frame and gooseneck.

Edited by dshue76

Of course a kit would be great. As a kid I had a toy Pepsi delivery truck and it came with a full load of bottles on pallets, and toys like that were really popular then. (reference pic from ebay.) With the success that I assume the Ford Louisville kit has had with Coke livery and the lack of trailer kits on the market, I think one of these would be a success. Any branding could be added, even local distributor branding, that makes for a kit that buyers would buy multiple copies of. They could also re-tool the Louisville as a tractor to go with it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzztonka pepsi.jpg

Edited by dshue76

5 hours ago, Spruslayer said:

The above is a suggestion to R2 for the next branded kit to do

Round2 isn't really releasing new kits (save for the few modern car promos/easy assembly 'kits'), so your best bet is to hope for the Haulaway trailer to be reissued, and use it as a very basic starting point.

16 minutes ago, Spruslayer said:

I wasent really putting to much faith in the R2 suggestion but a guy can hope/wish:P

Looking around at whats available right now this might be a place to start

s-l1600.jpg 

That as well as any of the racecar (transporters) from AMT. All the same trailer.

• 2 months later...

There are a lot of great ideas on this thread, I think that if there was enough interest shown by modellers to Round 2 they might consider it, existing tooling for the truck chassis could be used so an all new tool would only be needed for body and this thing could be reissued numerous times in different liveries!

No plastic kit ever made. 

Don't wait on a new kit either. Order the needed plastic from Plastruct and start cutting.....looks like a easy build. I just started a 40's era round nose 30 foot trailer.......the Coke trailer is lots of 90 degree cuts. 

This box van body toke a few minutes to cut and fit......

2v2vLsFJrxJcANd.jpg

Scratchin one would be a interesting and fun project but in my modeling head a beverage trailer,my choice would be a vintage style versus what i posted,would be a mony maker for a R2 or Revell or anyone else who can back such a project,first would be the license for whatever subject they chose to model,then if they wanted a brand name one the side theres another hurdle to overcome but in the end what truck modeler wouldn't want a kit like that.Just my  over two years experience rookie modeler nickels worth:) 

Edited by Spruslayer
spelling

I built a beverage body years ago, it really is a very simple project, just a box with stuff glued to the outside. A trailer would be little different, but you just need to find an appropriate trailer chassis to base it on. 

I based this one on a Hackney body. In the 1990s retired beverage trucks were popular with fire departments who would convert them into hazardous materials response trucks. The last section of doors was often converted into a room for a computer and reference books as I did on this one.

The body is just styrene sheet, the drip rails, door hardware and such is just various styrene shapes. The doors themselves are formed from V groove sheet.

Ford-Hazmat1.jpg

Hazmat2.jpg

Hazmat3.jpg

Aaron is on to something with his build- the Charlotte Fire Dept uses a beverage body trailer to haul it's Haz Mat equipment to the scene here. A lot more work to make the doors roll up and functional as you would have to build the inner body structure too, but I am sure there are some builders here up to the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Im going in on this.

I have enough extras from other builds to atempt a scratch build beverage trailer

Im at the end of the White Freightliner COE i diid as a day cab to mate to this

Heres a pic of what im shootin for

I think its still to modern era but after several searches its the closet to what i had in mind.

So off i go to try to scale this pic

To the Bench:wacko:

5c06b2d51bac8_beveragetrailer.jpg.efe9adc2ad3ef45d9fa999a8310bae14.jpg

Over 40 years ago, I pulled a Royal Crown trailer just like that, well almost, all over creation. At that time I though about making a model of the trailer I pulled. Mine was a Kinnard model not a Hackney,

So I sat down and wrote a letter to the Kinnard Body Works, told them who I was,that I pulled one of there trailers and what I had in mind.This might work to day with the Hackney company, couldn't hurt. Side loaders are getting outdated through. If you have a soft drink or beer distrubutor  near you, go ask if you can take pictures of one of there side loaders, can't hurt and you could get the pictures you need to build one.

It was about 3 weeks to the month that a big fat envelope came in the mail. When I opened it up what a surprise, There was a complete blue print to one of there 16 bay tandem axle trailers. The exact one that I pllled every day.

Never did get the trailer built, but still do have the blueprints around someplace. I think there at my sons house, as is 1/2 my model stuff. borrowed but never returned till I find it missing and ask if he has it. Have to keep my stash under lock and key or they will drive out under one of the sons arms.

This thread really peaks my interest in something that has been on my mind for a long time. Going to have to go searching and see if I can find that blue print.

Will this help?  The drawing is based on a Hackney trailer for LA County FD but I modified it to fit your picture.  but I can change the bay/door sizes to 52" if you'd like some extra length or add another bay.  Send me an email and I'll send a pdf that you can print.

trailer.png