Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walmart Prices ?

Walmarts site is just like a Google Shopping search result. He who manipulates the search engine optimization the most gets the best position. I rarely ever look at Walmarts site just because the details of an item are so generic that weights and dimensions are nearly always for a case of the item. Walmart is as much of a digital dinosaur as Sears. 

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

U.S. Wal-Marts haven't had kits in the store since 2008 or so.  The link above is all third-party vendors selling thru Wal-Mart, the same as Amazon does with a lot of stuff. 

You beat me to it. 

My Walmart has some good deals on budget diecasts. M2s, which are pretty decent models, are around $20, and Motor Maxes are even less than that. You never know what's going to be there week to week, but it's always worth a walk down that aisle to check it out. I've probably bought a dozen or so diecasts there over the last two or three years. 

6 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Some of our WM's have kits...none near me.....about 2 hours away do.....

I haven't seen a kit in WalMart for at least 8 or more years.  Big Lots used to get them around Christmas time, but I haven't seen any there in at least 6 years.  Right now the only 'big-box store' that carries any models around here is Ollie's, and then only sporadically.   Now I have seen some fairly nice 1/43, 1/18, and a few 1/24 diecasts is WalMart, but I am into plastic so they don't appeal to me that much.

45 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Even with third party venders , $145 for a Dragula kit is over the top. I wonder how many they sell ?

It's fishing.....if someone bites...good...if not..no cost to seller.  You see it on ebay a lot when they offer no fee selling days.

WalMart has always sold kits online - with free ship to store - even when they sold them in store.  If you go through, some of them are legit Wal*Mart listing - they're the ones with free in-store pickup.  Beyond that Walmart has turned their online "store" into a version of Amazon where 3rd Party vendors can fulfill orders as well.  Which is why the prices are sideways on a lot of things, just like they are on Amazon.

Edited by niteowl7710

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

My Walmart has some good deals on budget diecasts...

Mine too. I always check that aisle myself. 

Once I went into a California WM and they had the 1/32 scale Signature Models die-casts clearance priced. I think they were $5 each and I snapped up a bunch.  I know, wrong scale, but those die-casts are little jewels.  They put a lot of 1/24 die-casts to shame: separate chrome door handles and trim pieces, nice paint,  close-fitting door lines etc.

Their '39 Lincoln Zephyr convert has optional up or down tops.  Since I also do military stuff, one of my faves is their '41 Plymouth 4-door sedan.  Perfect as a WWII staff car in a 1/35 or 1/32 diorama.

Here's their '41 Packard Darrin convert. Pearl Harbor diorama!  Not my photo, but I found one of these at flea market for $2, IIRC.

sig_pak_.jpg

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

WalMart has always sold kits online - with free ship to store - even when they sold them in store.  If you go through, some of them are legit Wal*Mart listing - they're the ones with free in-store pickup.  Beyond that Walmart has turned their online "store" into a version of Amazon where 3rd Party vendors can fulfill orders as well.  Which is why the prices are sideways on a lot of things, just like they are on Amazon.

Wal-Azon

On 8/19/2018 at 9:03 AM, Ben said:

LOL, they’re outa their minds with those prices!!

No different than eBay and Amazon sellers.  The sellers are hoping for fools who will buy those overpriced items.  If you look on Amazon for specific item (with real cost of  $20) you will often find it priced by various sellers from $20 to $200!  It is crazy!

59 minutes ago, peteski said:

The sellers are hoping for fools who will buy those overpriced items.

This is a photo of Mary louise Cecilia Guinan, famously known as "Texas". She was the Queen of the Speakeasies during Prohibition. Her famous catchphrase was, "Hello, Sucker! Come on in and leave your wallet on the bar." I believe she is the patron saint of online sellers.

Image result for Texas Guinan "hello suckers":