Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Chevy El Camino "Gear Hustler"

Casey

How cool would that be if Round2 were to find the boat and I-6 tooling inserts ( if , indeed , they were actual inserts vs. "unicast" [ for lack of proper term ] moulds ) !

Yes , there are "better" choices for a six-banger , bbuuutttttt ... 

I'm just glad that the tooling exists for the '65 El Camino , and that Round2 is reissuing it .

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

This tread made me dig out my BC version and mocked it up, question aren't these camper normally a bit wider, cuz I suspect the bunk is over the roof, no?

You made me wonder, so I went and looked at some vintage and modern cab-over campers.  You're right, nearly all have a "sleeping loft" in the cabover area.  People would usually stick the kids up there.  There's often a couch running lengthwise down the side of the camper that folded out into a bed for grownups.  But most campers are on bigger trucks than an El Camino.  Having said all that, we are working in 1/25 scale and can do whatever we want.  

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, Casey said:

After looking over pics of the AMT '64 El Camino kit's contents...

...it looks to me like the areas of the mold containing the Westcraft boat and inline six-cylinder engine block parts was taken up by the camper and/or topper in the '65 El Caminos:

AMT64Elco1.jpg

AMT64Elco8.jpg

That said, IF the areas containing the boat and I6 were originally a separate insert, and were replaced by another insert-- first the slide-in camper, then the topper-- it's possible that original insert still exists. If that area was milled away and the slide-in camper was the first insert, I'd say the boat and I6 are gone for good. Round2 did find or have the Soap Box Derby car mold section/insert, and we'll have to wait and see on the forthcoming go-kart (I want to say it is vintage, and not a recreation), but maybe there's hope for the Westcraft boat. There are far better options for inline six-cylinder engines (AMT '50 and '60 Chevy Pickups) if you want a Stovebolt I-6, but maybe nostalgia is driving the want for some

In the case of the Go-Kart, it is a combination of portions of the original tooling, and a several newly tooled parts that were not found in Round 2's current tooling inventory (despite looking in depth for these parts).  If you study the original 1963 F100 kit parts trees, you can see that some of the Go Kart parts were with the pickup parts trees, and some of the parts were on their own parts trees (I don't remember the specifics at this point, but they were investigated when this particular project began several years ago).  As the pickup tooling itself is (apparently) long gone, so were those missing Go Kart parts.   

In any case, this project has been in the works for several years, and in my opinion it is going to be super-cool to have the Go Kart back!   TIM 

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

In the case of the Go-Kart, it is a combination of portions of the original tooling, and a several newly tooled parts that were not found in Round 2's current tooling inventory (despite looking in depth for these parts).  If you study the original 1963 F100 kit parts trees, you can see that some of the Go Kart parts were with the pickup parts trees, and some of the parts were on their own parts trees (I don't remember the specifics at this point, but they were investigated when this particular project began several years ago).  As the pickup tooling itself is (apparently) long gone, so were those missing Go Kart parts.   

In any case, this project has been in the works for several years, and in my opinion it is going to be super-cool to have the Go Kart back!   TIM 

I wonder if we're talking about the same kit. I think this started talking about the '65 El Camino from AMT. I noticed that this picture is of the '64 El Camino and you can see the inline 6 and intake manifold on the same tree as the boat. While having the '65 El Camino back is great, I would really like to have the '64 also.

21 minutes ago, espo said:

While having the '65 El Camino back is great, I would really like to have the '64 also.

Will never happen. The molds were altered back in the day to make the '65. 

It might be available in resin, though. I know there are a couple sources for resin '64 Chevelles (HT), but none, sadly, for the '65. Maybe I should buy a '64 Hardtop and swap you the front end to graft onto a '65 Elky body, and I'll use the rest of the body and an Elky front end to make a nice '65 HT. B)

33 minutes ago, espo said:

I wonder if we're talking about the same kit. I think this started talking about the '65 El Camino from AMT. I noticed that this picture is of the '64 El Camino and you can see the inline 6 and intake manifold on the same tree as the boat. While having the '65 El Camino back is great, I would really like to have the '64 also.

The go-kart came up in the discussion, as something of an explanation of how those accessory items are often done.  In the case of the kart, it was tooled as a separate item and pieced into the Ford pickup, so it would be more likely to survive as a separate tool insert.  The El Camino's boat may (repeat, may) have been part of the original El Camino tooling, since it was in there the very first issue.  IF that is the case, it would likely have been milled out of the tool to make room for the '65 optional parts, in which case it would no longer exist.  Has anyone ever seen a 1:1 Westcraft boat?  

As for the '64 El Camino itself, the tool was modified to produce 1965 El Camino promotional models, and later, kits.  It is what it is right now.  The only way to make a '64 again would be to either backdate everything or cut another tool, which would be unlikely.  Yes, some folks would like to see a '64 again, but Round 2 can sell enough '65 kits to justify keeping it as it is.

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Will never happen. The molds were altered back in the day to make the '65. 

It might be available in resin, though. I know there are a couple sources for resin '64 Chevelles (HT), but none, sadly, for the '65. Maybe I should buy a '64 Hardtop and swap you the front end to graft onto a '65 Elky body, and I'll use the rest of the body and an Elky front end to make a nice '65 HT. B)

I guess that would make sense for the time. Minimum expense for the next year model. I don't think anyone could have realized at that time how popular these cars and the models of them would become. I have at least one if not two of the AMT '64 Chevelle hardtop kits from long ago. I'm not 100% sure but I think the lacked an engine and opening hoods, at least on the ones I have.

1 hour ago, espo said:

I have at least one if not two of the AMT '64 Chevelle hardtop kits from long ago. I'm not 100% sure but I think the lacked an engine and opening hoods, at least on the ones I have.

Yes, the '64 and '65 coupes came as Craftsman (curbside) only. Always thought that was a bit strange. I have a '64 I modified with an opening hood, plus all the underhood pieces from a '64 wagon and a scratchbuilt radiator wall incorporating the screw posts to make it look like a real 3-in-1.

51 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I have said it before and I will say it again, Round2 needs to create something new or find old parts to make me want another box.

I'm sure Round2 would gladly accept your check for funding R&D and tooling production. B)

• 4 years later...