Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 Pontiac convertible glue bomb

59 Impala

Thanks guys and yes Steve, this is another custom fer sure.  There is just to much damage to it to make it stock.   This is how it looked after stripping it.  The hood is cracked and the body is a mess.  The windshield frame is broken and I tried to save it but that's a no go.  I have to use other parts for that.

IMG_4984.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

I have one of these, nearly as bad. Didn't have the skirts but was brush painted with auto lacquer that bonded to the plastic.

I cut it up with the hot knife in order to kill any lingering fantasies about making something out of it :P

'59 Pontiacs and '60 Oldsmobiles are practically impossible to make right after they've had skirts welded to them. '58 Pontiacs can be saved but they take up a lot of hours to fix the craters.

BTW i fix broken W/S frames like that all the time by grooving the underside of the frame on both sides of the break then supergluing in a section of sewing straight pin.

Edited by Rat Roaster

Thanks guys.  I tried to save the windshield frame, but it was broken in the middle and on both sides.  Plus the windshield itself was cracked in two places.  What I did was use the frame and windshield from the Revell 59 Impala.  I had to adjust the frame a tad and it turned out very good.  Here are three more pics to show some of the filler I had to use and fix the windshield frame.  I am able to use the Revell windshield this way.  I had to adjust the frame to fit the cowl trim and that worked out fine.

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

Edited by 59 Impala

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Dan, I don't envy you that job! Does the bottom of the '59 Chevy windshield line up with the Pontiac's cowl OK?

Here's mine, someday to become a hardtop:

P1110426.JPG.16066afe3fb619691c63564c97a87b06.JPG

On all these Pontiacs, the tops of the front fenders need surgery to line up with the grille. Good luck!

I wish that mine looked this good at the beginning cause I wanted to keep it stock, but because of how much this thing was damaged, I had to make it custom.

I had to fix the grill.  The original one had something glued on both sides and was a mess.  I used two grills (custom) from the AMT 53 Ford truck to make new ones.  I did save the head lights from the original grill.  I also had to repair the rear bumper.  More to come.

Dan

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

57 minutes ago, 59 Impala said:

I had to fix the grill.  The original one had something glued on both sides and was a mess.  I used two grills (custom) from the AMT 53 Ford truck to make new ones.  I did save the head lights from the original grill.  I also had to repair the rear bumper.  More to come.

Dan

IMG_5009.JPG

This might have been a great opportunity to replace the grille with some fine mesh & possibly find some headlight buckets with clear lenses.

But on the other hand, if you're building it as a curbside, you really don't need an open grille.

But the headlights might be something to think about.

Steve

On 20/08/2018 at 4:32 AM, 59 Impala said:

Thanks guys.  I tried to save the windshield frame, but it was broken in the middle and on both sides.  Plus the windshield itself was cracked in two places.  What I did was use the frame and windshield from the Revell 59 Impala.  I had to adjust the frame a tad and it turned out very good.  Here are three more pics to show some of the filler I had to use and fix the windshield frame.  I am able to use the Revell windshield this way.  I had to adjust the frame to fit the cowl trim and that worked out fine.

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

Nice save! That's the part that sprang to mind when I saw you had a dodgy frame. I kept one in my stash, for the same reason.

It's great to see old kits or builds, given new life. It'll be interesting to see how it's going to look, when you're done.

Thanks guys.  I wanted to save as much of the grill as I could and the lights were the only parts that I could save.  I'm using only lacquer paint on this build and I sprayed a very thin coat of Red Oxide primer, then another thin coat and lastly a heavier coat.  No crazing.  I had to fix the wavy sides of the body where the chrome used to be.  Who ever carved this sure did a very bad job of it.  More to come.

Dan

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

Thanks Steve.  Here are some more pics of more work on the rear end.  I had to fix the carvings on the rear of the body.  These were really in bad shape.  I wish somebody wouldn't have removed the inner fins on this car.  The Pontiac looked perty good with both of them.

Dan

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG