Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT MPC Put Out the Good Stuff!

regular guy

Ran across these two kits.

MPC Ramchargers Dragster w/Transporter and MPC Gasser w/clear body.

That's right. You CAN get all three kits right now.

EXCEPT No clear body for the gasser. MPC Hey! run off some clear bodies for some of these kits! It won't kill you to do that!

The dragster is packaged as some other version.Ramchargers mean Mopar. It has a Hemi engine in it.So that's a good way to build the kit.

AMT and MPC needs to put some punch into these kits!

They get all the way to the one yard line and just don't put it over the goal line!

Also.MPC did not make enough Daytona Transporter trucks.

Notice the Transport is for hauling slingshot blown Hemi DRAGSTERS which were hugely popular and new when kit came out.

5b797d4ea9a7c_MPCRamchargerandTransporterTruck.jpg.ff84fc3ddb90df3c1af51a800e69a74d.jpg

5b797e61b209e_MrGasketAAGasser.jpg.535011c56ff5705bcdcdb6cae6a9a04a.jpg

Edited by regular guy

1 hour ago, regular guy said:

Ran across these two kits.

MPC Ramchargers Dragster w/Transporter and MPC Gasser w/clear body.

That's right. You CAN get all three kits right now.

EXCEPT No clear body for the gasser. MPC Hey! run off some clear bodies for some of these kits! It won't kill you to do that!

The dragster is packaged as some other version.Ramchargers mean Mopar. It has a Hemi engine in it.So that's a good way to build the kit.

AMT and MPC needs to put some punch into these kits!

They get all the way to the one yard line and just don't put it over the goal line!

Also.MPC did not make enough Daytona Transporter trucks.

Notice the Transport is for hauling slingshot blown Hemi DRAGSTERS which were hugely popular and new when kit came out.

5b797d4ea9a7c_MPCRamchargerandTransporterTruck.jpg.ff84fc3ddb90df3c1af51a800e69a74d.jpg

5b797e61b209e_MrGasketAAGasser.jpg.535011c56ff5705bcdcdb6cae6a9a04a.jpg

I don't think the Mr Gasket kit has been reissued any time recently. The closest thing to what you are talking about here is the Ohio George 67 Mustang gasser, which was never molded in clear. The body in the Mr Gasket kit was returned to stock and reused for the 69 Mustang kit. You can get the Transport Truck, but the Ramchargers dragster isn't included in the most recent release.

MPC800-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

' I don't either of these has been reissued any time recently.'

All three are kicking around now.

Yes. What you show is the Mr Gasket AA Gasser. No. You don't get a clear body.

Give MPC credit they did make it with colored body.They are getting warm.

Transporter was reissued pretty recently. Ran out quick.They didn't make enough and price was too high.

Dragster is on used market dressed up as something else.

Here's a super historical car. Ford J version of GT40. With CLEAR body!

C'mon MPC! Have a heart. Sideline the 4 or 5 humdrum kits you are working on now and put this out!

5b799df391e17_MPCFordJCar.thumb.jpg.b6a2a32367590a3211bff53b62ea7e31.jpg

Hey Bob, aren't you aware of that Round 2 Corporation owns both the AMT and MPC brands together with Polar Lights, Lindberg and Hawk, so MPC is not a separate company and hasn't been for a long time, all these brands are under one and the same roof and they use the MPC brand on old MPC kits.

The Ramchargers Dragster was reissued 1998 in the Buyers Choice Limited Edition Series and the Daytona Transport Truck was reissued in 2012, but they have not been reissued together recently as on the boxart you show.

The Ohio George Montgomery Mr Gasket Gasser has not been reissued for a long time as Dave says in his reply, it's the Malco Gasser that has been reissued recently and are available.
Both kits use the same chassis but different bodys, the Mr Gasket Gasser has a 1969-70 Mustang body wich originally was molded in one piece with the front clip attached and in clear plastic, the Malco Gasser has a 1967-68 Mustang body molded with a separate flip front and was never molded in clear plastic...they are similar but different, so it's not only that one body is molded in clear and the other isn't, the bodies for these  two kits are different alltogether and the decals are not the same either.

Edited by Force

' Hey Bob, aren't you aware of that Round 2 Corporation owns '

Sure.Makes more sense to me to refer to them as what they are AMT and MPC.

' have not been reissued together recently as on the boxart you show. '

Yes.They are available that way.

Give AMT or whoever credit for the Cobra and carhauler set they did just come out with.Step in the right direction.

The box art was a mis step though. The box art in these pictures here is the best approach I say.

Especially with the special feature parts on the side of box.That's the way to go.

' Both kits use the same chassis '

When faced with choosing Mr Gasket on Ebay for two bills or Malco in light blue clearanced at Hobblinc for $15 I choose the Malco.

Has the Ford Cammer 427 and it's a funny or altered chassis.Good enough.

Kit did say 'Parts restored'.Another way of saying 'It's not the hard to find Mr Gasket kit'.

That is what I'm saying.

Why does AMT MPC get right to the finish line and self destruct?

Incomprehensible.

To be fair about it. I give okay Round 2 credit for doing a very good job!

I give them 9 out 10 stars really.

I'm saying go for that tenth star!

Problem is they put out the special kits and they don't sell.

Hemi dragster in retro box.Molded in kandy apple.

1/16 Petty Nascar Charger. Special body.

And a dozen others.

All in all they are doing the best they can.Gotta pay the bills.Keep the doors open.Tough business.

' have not been reissued together recently as on the boxart you show. '

Yes.They are available that way.

No I don't think they are...at least not now anyway, otherwise it would be all over the internet by now but I can't find anything about this kit on any site that sells models and not on the Round 2 website...so I can't understand where you got it from.
The only place I find any of them for sale is on ebay...and they are original issue kits from 1969.
But you can get the kits separate as both has been reissued, one in 1998 and one in 2012 as I mentioned before.

' Both kits use the same chassis '

When faced with choosing Mr Gasket on Ebay for two bills or Malco in light blue clearanced at Hobblinc for $15 I choose the Malco.

Has the Ford Cammer 427 and it's a funny or altered chassis.Good enough.

Kit did say 'Parts restored'.Another way of saying 'It's not the hard to find Mr Gasket kit'.

Well you did use the clear body Mr Gasket Gasser picture in your first post and said it was available now...that it ain't...and the "parts restored" on the Malco Gasser kit means that the flip front is redone to better resemble the original as it was modified from the first version earlier in it's life and some other parts was also redone, so it has nothing to do with the Mr Gasket Gasser.
MPC did both the 1967 Malco Gasser and the 1969 Mr Gasket Gasser back in the day and as I said in my earlier post, they are NOT the same kit with just different decals, the bodies are also different as one is a 1967 Mustang with a separate flip front molded in regular plastic and the other is a 1969 Mustang molded in clear plastic with the front clip attached (no flip front in that kit)...I have both these kits so I do know what I'm talking about.
The 1967 Malco Gasser Mustang ran a blown 427 SOHC all it's life wich the MPC Malco Gasser kit has.
The 1969 Mr Gasket Gasser Mustang first ran a blown 427 SOHC, later a blown 429 BOSS wich later was converted to a dual turbo, and the MPC Mr Gasket Gasser kit is the blown 429 BOSS version.

Edited by Force

' you can get the kits separate '

That is what I meant.

' said it was available now '

A version that is close enough for me is available now.Malco Gasser. It's a Ohio George mustang altered or funny. Good enough!

What AMT or MPC kit is close to this?

The Prudhomme Green Black dragster.

That looks awfully familiar and I think it may even be out now.

5b79d060cdb45_PrudhommeGreenBlackDragster1.jpe.841f0f1de53ac6e6913a58137bb78543.jpe

5b79d08d661f5_PrudhommeGreenBlackDragster2.jpe.179596c55f2e7803cc70890f5910310e.jpe

Here they are.

AMT TV Tommy Ivos dragster and Hemi Sphere Top Fuel dragster.

Could be same kit or Hemi Sphere could be Prudhomme car. Anybody know?

AMT should bring out it/them. Early 60's dragster with Prudhomme connection one way or the other. He drove Tommy Ivo dragster.

5b79d841cb70e_AMTHemiSphereDragster.jpg.a014bc439161fde4aefd88911c687c50.jpg

5b79d9ec73bd7_AMTTVTommyIvoDragster.jpg.595b03fc0e432e9e1a8181d570b0139f.jpg

The Hemi Sphere's first life was as the Don Garlits rail by AMT......it was molded in clear, just to add confusion to this discussion. Overall its a much better kit than the Ramchargers kit which was molded bt MPC. The biggest shortcomings of the AMT kit is the engine according to some is undersized but they're comparing it to a 426 when its actually a 392. That never bothered me but the blower scoop, like most kit blower scoops just seems wrong to me. The Ivo dragster dated to 1969 and was much later than the Greer Black and Prudhomme car. In my opinion it is the best front engined dragster in 1/25 although the Tony Nancy double kits are quite nice.

' you can get the kits separate '

That is what I meant.

' said it was available now '

A version that is close enough for me is available now.Malco Gasser. It's a Ohio George mustang altered or funny. Good enough!

You have to have the facts straight to avoid confusion, by that I mean when you are talking about kit releases and what's available right now you have to show the correct pictures and not old ones from the original issue 40-50 years ago, and of course show pictures of the correct kit.
If we take the Ramchargers Dragster it was last reissued in 1998, that's 20 years ago, and the Daytona Transporter 6 years ago in 2012 so you will most likely not find them at the hobby shop today if it isn't well stocked with old outdated kits...so I would not call these kits currently available everywhere as none of them are currently in production.

For the record, "Ohio George" competed in the Gas class with his 1967 and 1969 Mustangs and was very successful, he raced in the Altered class and BB/Funny Car (Alcohol) class later with other cars...so the Mustangs were Gassers like the 1933 Willys he had before them and nothing else.

2 hours ago, regular guy said:

What AMT or MPC kit is close to this?

.The AMT Don Garlits Wynns Jammer/Hemisphere is probably the closest, but the Greer-Black-Prudhomme car was earlier at 1962 and the Wynns Jammer 1964-65.

' Hemi Sphere's first life was as the Don Garlits rail by AMT. '

What was it called?

' 426 when its actually a 392 '

There were 392 and new hemi dragster kits.Got it.

I just blew a deal for a 392.Thank you for reminding me of THAT.:)

' Ivo dragster dated to 1969 '

Wait a minute.Don Prudomme drove the Tommy Ivo dragster in the early 60's before the Green Keith Black dragster.

Kit came out in 69?

' best front engined dragster in 1/25 although the Tony Nancy double kits are quite nice '

Will keep that in mind.Thanks. As far as Revell I look but don't touch.

Just stick with Lindberg/MPC/AMT.

Keep things somewhat organized.Under control.

' not call these kits currently available'

If someone wants to build the kit and it can be gotten then it's available.

There is a slight qualification  to that. If it has fallen into the over $20 asking price for kit on Ebay. Forget that!

Then for all intents and purposes it is not available.

Let's say readily available.

' Gas class with his 1967 and 1969 Mustangs '

It took me all this time to catch Mr Gasket has blown 427 and current Malco mustang no blower.

Solution is to get Malco kit and stick a blower on the engine.Ship it!

Still better than paying two bills for Mr gasket on Ebay. Still no clear body but oh well!

6 hours ago, regular guy said:

2 hours ago, regular guy said:

Don Prudomme drove the Tommy Ivo dragster in the early 60's before the Green Keith Black dragster.

I know you have difficulty with facts and this makes your posts somewhat rambling and difficult to follow but please at least try to get the names of some of the pioneers of drag racing right. Out of respect for them if for no other reason.

The man whose name in question I'm talking about is Tommy Greer. Not green like the color. Greer with an r at the end of it.

The one dragster that you have been talking about has been called the Greer, Black and Prudhomme dragster for many years. Calling it anything else is confusing and adds to the difficulty of following your posts.

The Greer, Black and Prudhomme dragster was a  partnership between three different people. The car was funded by Tommy Greer, a machine shop owner. The engine and clutch were looked after by Keith Black one of the top engine builders of the day. And the driving was handled Don Prudhomme, who at the time was a hot shoe and went on to drag racing legend status. 

The Greer, Black and Prudhomme car and the three partners who ran it were a nearly unbeatable combination at the time. During the time that Greer Black and Prudhomme ran that particular dragster, it racked up an incredibly impressive record of 236 wins and only 7 losses.

Facts and Names are important. Please try to get them right. 

' The AMT Ivo car is not the same equipment that Tommy Ivo ran in the early 60s. '

Good.Cleared that up.Thank you.

' pioneers of drag racing right.'

There people to me.

Got my machine work done at DLI in the valley.Yes. I suppose that was Dick Landy listening to me.Do remember cigar most of the time.

I dealt with his son Robert.Guess they felt he knew what the hard core set wanted.

Was aware of Keith Black. Did not know if he was in Southern California. Never got that far with it. Did not have to.Landy seemed just fine.

Then Prudhomme I want to talk to.

It's about something else. Not nuts and bolts of this and that.

I give up.

I have tried to explain three times what the difference in the two different MPC Ohio George Mustang Gasser kits are but you still don't seem to understand...or want to. 
I suggest you go out and buy the Ohio George Mustang kit that's available on the shelfs now, open it and see what's inside before you discuss anymore about it...I have the kits and I know what's in them...appearently you don't.

Regarding the Ramchargers Dragster and Transporter.
According to your reasoning all kit's ever made are available even though some of them hasn't been in production for 60 years....for me and most of the other builders an available kit is one you can buy from the shelf at any hobby shop right now and is currently or very recently in production...not kits that has been out of production for a decade or two.

I'm not waisting anymore of my time in this topic.

Edited by Force

'what the difference in the two different MPC Ohio George Mustang Gasser  '

That is what YOU CHOSE to talk about.

You put a blower on the Malco kit and Ta Da!

It looks close enough to the hard to find Mr Gasket kit.

' for me and most of the other builders an available kit is one you can buy from the shelf at any hobby shop and is currently or very recently in production. '

Okay. Fine. YOU do it that way.

According to that system it would have been no 3 Corvette set for little old me. That'll be the day!

Does this wheelbase look a little funny to anybody else?

It looks moved in  in the front and back to me.

Maybe I never took a good look at one.

5b7a417ba4516_MPC67Charger.jpg.3044c237e8fcd7b2357d810f3959489b.jpg

Rats!

Well here.This'll fix it.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/factory-sealed-48-year-mpc-color-gone-1725479463

Slideshow of MPC 67 Charger funny.

Great.MPC puts out the namby pamby and sits on the good version!

THAT MPC funny is a kit! Note the two positions you can build it and the endorsement by the car owner.

C'mon MPC.Get with it today! Please?

5b7a4cdef0e46_MPCColorMeGoneFunny.jpg.e19a88cfe0386c3958b2c980d117d45c.jpg

MPC used whatever tools they had, however they wanted to, in order to maximize as many different releases as possible. Back in the 60's and '70's, MPC simply looked at their tools as product, so, if they made modifications to update a stock annual body in order to put a new kit out as a Funny Car or NASCAR Stock Car, they had no guilt whatsoever in making alterations. The 1970 cars were preferable to the 1969 and 1968 cars, as the market wanted the newest versions of the latest cars from Detroit, so annual updates were made (as well- the promo contracts from the Big 3 that essentially paid for the annual kits dictated that the newest cars be offered). I'd love to see the MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet back, but to date, that seems like a lost cause.   

MPC in particular (and the other manufacturers in general), also seemed to have great engineering and artistic know-how during this period, enabling them to make these changes on a regular basis. They were absolute masters at making something out of something else. It's wasn't all good, though- sometimes you got Pro Stock kits that were more "Stock" than "Pro", and funny cars that were perhaps too funny (or not funny enough). Compromises were definitely made.

Over time, some of that know-how might have been lost. Employees move on or retire. New facilities and processes are adopted. The market changes, so that fewer models are sold, and consumer tastes change so a business case can't be made to invest in engineering and tooling like the glory days of the 60's and early 70's.   

As a result, some tools can't be reused to put out exactly the same products they were able to 40+ years ago. An example of this is the recent reissue of the Petty 1/16 Charger. The announcement originally stated that it was to be offered with a clear body. That never materialized, the rumor was that Round 2 tried it and had too many problems with the process of offering a clear body, or that the bodies they could produce were substandard.  

We did still see the Petty Charger released, which in my opinion, is a great kit. Some small things had to be redone or undone in order to get it back, and Round 2 seemed to handle that well. To me, the clear bodies were overrated anyway, as they were tougher to work with. Having that kit back at all made my decade!  

I can't think of any other type of commercial item being offered that is so dependent on tooling and trade dress that was created so long ago, except for maybe Hot Wheels. I think it's an absolute miracle that we get what has been coming out. Round 2's very existence as it is today is against any reasonable odds. That is a fire that has been fanned expertly for 30+ years.  

Now if FCA will just start manufacturing new 1968 Chargers, I would be really happy. If they don't have airbags, I won't be upset. I'll go right down to the local dealer and get one. Nick Scratch will skate to work before that happens, unfortunately... 

I did just read that Aston Martin will be making 25 continuation DB-5's, complete with 007 style gadgets. They'll only be $2.5 million each. There is hope that I will win the lottery in time to get one. Sign me up!!!

I'm really happy to see ANYTHING come back, and Round 2 does seem to do a great job of creating exciting box art and adding extra value with new or restored parts when they can. It sure beats the "repop in gray plastic and put it in an awful ugly box" stuff we had seen up until about 10 years ago...     

Edited by CapSat 6

Bill

Thank. You're Mr Positive. Sounds great!

Let me make my three points here.

AMT/MPC IS putting out the funny cars.

Another me giving them credit again.

Ford Mustang Funny Car, Chezoom, Cougar that just came out and the Piranha Dragster.

MPC has that Trojan Horse and the wild dragsters(not Funny's but close).Cosmic Charger or whatever.

So.Yeah MPC! YOU ARE doing a good job.Some of us just a little impatient.Hurry up.:)

Point two. This Ramchargers Dart MPC is an awesome kit.Probably better I knew nothing about it in the 80's.That's a long story.

Point three. MPC Funny Car was a series like Stock Car or whatever it was.

5b7ad28b4bc9a_MPCRamchargersDart.jpg.c684eb3533e36dd204e00d401406368d.jpg

Edited by regular guy

Well...the Ramchargers Dart Funny Car- that's one that would be tricky to reproduce. That body became the LA Dart/ Hemi Hunter wheelstander. The rear wheelwells, front bumper, trunk, and "Swinger" emblems were modified or eliminated in order to make the LA Dart. After that, it became the Hemi Hunter. It's doubtful that the body for that one will ever come back, as much as you and I would like to see it.

If you wanted to clone it, you might be able to take a Hemi Hunter or LA Dart body, and combine it with some bits from a Petty Dart short tracker (that's another one we thought we would never see again!). The chassis ended up somewhere, maybe under the recent Arnie Beswick GTO? So- it's possible to recreate it somewhat, but I doubt we will ever see Round 2 go to that trouble.   

• Xingu locked this topic