Model Cars Magazine Forum

WW II-ish Jeep by MPC

As near as I can tell from looking at the model kit, this version is based on the Ford... or Willys Jeep that would have been manufactured in 1942... or as late as 1955. There's just not enough detail to chop it that finely.

This Jeep came with three options: A mounted recoilless rifle, which I don't believe was implemented in WWII, a .50 cal MG, which ended up on the Pacer Recon, and an ambulance option. Obviously, I chose the latter.WW_II_Jeep_10.thumb.jpg.2159e897b149e951c3c71d909a29597c.jpg

I hand painted the bumper markings and if my research is correct, this Jeep is Third US Army, Medical Battalion, Vehicle 4.WW_II_Jeep_09.thumb.jpg.45af953f51e97861a838b03ea5ed9568.jpg

The Red Cross markings on the rear quarter are supposed to be placed on the sides just ahead of the rear wheels beside the seats. They were much too big to be placed there so I improvised. I think it still works.WW_II_Jeep_11.thumb.jpg.cbf97054af97a0de11fda2b144c56323.jpg

In my research on ambulance Jeeps, I found a number of different modifications for accommodating stretchers, most involved angle-iron frames bolted or welded to the front or rear. I considered going that route but I decided to keep it simple.WW_II_Jeep_12.thumb.jpg.df646fbc9259931eee9849897db7f073.jpg

Even with the inaccuracies, it still captures the feel of the original.WW_II_Jeep_13.thumb.jpg.898d68becbd3eba3566b7f8ed33b4aff.jpg

And of course, the Display Case shot.WW_II_Jeep_14.thumb.jpg.a08c8e984d4755b14dc91aa5baa66d71.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to visit and please feel free to comment.

David G.

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

VERY nice! You did a great job on this ancient kit, and it looks the part. Well done and model on! B)

Thanks Snake.

19 hours ago, alexis said:

That is Great. Jeeps are a favorite of mine. You nailed the look.

Thanks Alan, I'm glad you like it.

17 hours ago, bbowser said:

Very nice!  I can almost picture Radar coming into camp.

I kind of thought the same thing Bruce. "Does anybody else hear the theme from M*A*S*H?"

16 hours ago, peekay said:

You did a fine job on that!

Thank you Peter.

11 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Extremely nice work on your Jeep, the windshield glass looks great.

Thanks Keith, I cut templates for the wiper tracks from masking tape then dusted the windshield with powered pastels for the dirt. 

11 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Great job

Thanks Ron.

11 hours ago, D. Battista said:

Always a pleasure looking at your builds..!

Very nice job on the Jeep..!!

Thank you Dave.

~

David G.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:17 PM, mikemodeler said:

Nice work! With the news that Modelhaus tires will be available , you will be able to source the correct military tires.

Thanks Mike, I do have a second kit so that is certainly an option worth considering.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:59 AM, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thank you Chris.

David G.