Model Cars Magazine Forum

The wrong "Actor" for the part.....

I'm always catching vehicle anachronisms in movies...little things like the creaking doors on a '64 Impala when the movie was set in '64 (Mississippi Burning),  or an early 80s Olds 88 in a scene set in 1966 (The Debt),  or a car changing years in a chase scene (the Contour going from early to later version and back and forth in Arlington Road). 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

I'm always catching vehicle anachronisms in movies...little things like the creaking doors on a '64 Impala when the movie was set in '64 (Mississippi Burning),  or an early 80s Olds 88 in a scene set in 1966 (The Debt),  or a car changing years in a chase scene (the Contour going from early to later version and back and forth in Arlington Road). 

I love how when any car speeds away, you hear squealing rubber, even if it's on a rain-slicked street, or gravel, or dirt, or grass. :lol:

The absolute worst violation I've ever seen of this was in the craptastic movie Pearl Harbor. When the B-25 cuts loose on the practice short-field takeoff, you hear squealing rubber. From what? Airplane wheels aren't driven! :blink::lol:

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I remember the movie "Radio" set in 1977 or 78. Ed Harris plays a high school football coach who drives a primered, beat up 76 or 77 Ford pickup. What a bad driver to ruin such a "new" truck.

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I love how when any car speeds away, you hear squealing rubber, even if it's on a rain-slicked street, or gravel, or dirt, or grass. :lol:

The absolute worst violation I've ever seen of this was in the craptastic movie Pearl Harbor. When the B-25 cuts loose on the practice short-field takeoff, you hear squealing rubber. From what? Airplane wheels aren't driven! :blink::lol:

They do squeal upon touch down. Ever see the end of a runway ? The wheels aren't turning when they land until touch down

1823669.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

and in any 1960s-1970s show or movie when a car starts up.... any brand car... the sound was a Chrysler starter?

In any Quinn-Martin Production show, EVERYONE drove a brand new Ford.  Except when a criminal drove an old Chevy you knew it was going  to go off a cliff! 

24 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I remember the movie "Radio" set in 1977 or 78. Ed Harris plays a high school football coach who drives a primered, beat up 76 or 77 Ford pickup. What a bad driver to ruin such a "new" truck.

Kind of like Starsky & Hutch, premiered in '75, Hutch drove a '73-74 Galaxie that looked worn out..

What I find off-putting is when a show is set in present day and they want someone to be driving an "old beater". 

The "beater" is usually a car from the '60s or '70s. I don't think someone would be so lucky as to find a car that old, 40 or 50 years, cheap and in good enough condition to be a daily driver beater. Not very often that would happen in real life.

I would expect a 10 to 15 year old Civic, Focus or Impala to be a lot lore believable.

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

They do squeal upon touch down. Ever see the end of a runway ? The wheels aren't turning when they land until touch down

Yes, I know. Everybody knows. :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about a landing. I was talking about a takeoff from a standing start. And they had that B-25 making sounds like the Duke Boys going somewhere in a hurry. :angry:

I admit to being insufferable about the anachronisms at times - back in '81, I was watching the excellent TV movie Crisis at Central High, set in 1957 Little Rock. The cars were period-correct almost to the very last scene, when I spotted this white '66 Catalina:

5b7b791949350_centralhigh.jpg.ea96d57e7dfebb35862ab291d247b9ec.jpg

I'm sure it thrilled everyone else in the room when I pointed at the screen and said "A-HA! Gotcha!" :rolleyes: 

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

What I find off-putting is when a show is set in present day and they want someone to be driving an "old beater"... 

Yep, see that a lot. It reminds me of all the shows featuring a Broke & Struggling Young Actress who comes to L.A., driving a mint-condition convertible from the 1950s or Sixties.  She will struggle a lot harder just to buy gas, since she'll be burning up an awful lot of it getting to her auditions while sitting in traffic jams on the 405 or 101 freeways.  And she better find a boyfriend who's a good mechanic specializing in old cars. She has a long commute because she always lives alone in an apartment right on the beach, usually Santa Monica or Malibu.  In real life she'd need 4 or 5 roommates just to pay the rent on that studio or 1-bedroom apartment.  Or very rich parents/sugar daddy.

Jeep has a series of TV commercials running right now, with some idiots using GPS to find a One Republic show at the Greek Theatre in L.A.  When they arrive at the Greek, they just jump out and leave the Jeep sitting on the street. After the show, they'll find their Jeep gone, towed to an impound lot, which will cost them a couple hundred bucks for the tow, storage and "processing fees."  Plus the cost of the LAPD ticket for illegal parking.

Edited by Mike999
omit

1 hour ago, sfhess said:

I like the Subaru commercials where they show a family at various stages over the years, driving a 2018 Forester or whatever at every stage.

Yeah, I liked how they started w/ the puppy and ended w/ the older dog w/ gray muzzle.    I also like the Mazdas ads where the guy started with a used Miata, then a Mazda 3, a Mazda 6, a CUV then a new Miata...for remembering 'when you were you'...