Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vamach1

Junkyard of 71-73 Mustangs (MPC and AMT)

Recommended Posts

Slowly making progress on getting most of these bodies ready for paint.  I thought this was a cool way to show them as one group.

IMG_2709.PNG

IMG_2710.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love these kits. The AMT is a better version IMO. Wish they would update the chassis assemblies.

Cannot wait to see these all done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 6:54 PM, vamach1 said:

Slowly making progress on getting most of these bodies ready for paint.  I thought this was a cool way to show them as one group.

IMG_2709.PNG

IMG_2710.PNG

I've read that the engines in the MPC and AMT '71-'73 Mustangs depicted above are either incorrect (FE-series 428s) or so mediocre in detail that they look like hybrids made of FE and Windsor parts.  In your opinion, would the engine and chassis from this kit provide the basis for upgrades in these areas? 

wtm.jpg.fd9624d9ce0fd753f76e6870570de7cd.jpg

I realize the induction system is race-only, but is it at least a Cleveland block?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could even say the Warren Tope has a 351C but as SAE covered in the Ford engine issues, there isn't a true 351C in 1/25 scale in any 65-73 Mustang kit.  Of course the Revell Mach1 has a 1/24 351C and the Torino the correc for 71 429CJ.    The MPC engine are 302s (ok for a coupe or convertible or base Mach1) with single exhaust or the 428 which of course last saw a Mustang engine bay in 1970.  So are there any alternatives?  I have considering having my one and only Scale Modeling by Chris 351C cloned.  I have however come across later year Mustang kits (74 to early 80's) that have a 351C that were either a drag engine or could be made to look like a street 351C.  I alos have some Nascar kit 351Cs as raced by Roush which I can probably use with some mods and took a diecast apart that had a 429 CJ .  Some of these 71-73s may end up curbside but I hope to at least have most of them have a decent looking engine.  As a test I grafted a 69/70 Revell engine bay into the MPC which of course meant chopping up some of the stock chassis.  I have not experimented with other kits to see if the engine chassis would kit (69 Shelby e.g.).  Kevin from Missing Link  and Brad from HRM cast up some very nice parts from my master pieces of seats, dashes, door panels, center consoles, space save spare, etc.. So with some old Fred Cady decals and Keith Marks I can make a decent 72 or 73 Mach1 or 71 Boss 351 (with Kevin's chrome bumper and grill), a 72 Sprint, an Europa, a coupe and convertible (my conversion) and some plain Fastbacks.  I think most of my other projects are on hold while I concentrate on build these 13 models.   I'll post updates as I make more progress.

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 6:30 PM, vamach1 said:

  Kevin from Missing Link  and Brad from HRM cast up some very nice parts from my master pieces of seats, dashes, door panels, center consoles, space save spare, etc.. So with some old Fred Cady decals and Keith Marks I can make a decent 72 or 73 Mach1 or 71 Boss 351 (with Kevin's chrome bumper and grill), a 72 Sprint, an Europa, a coupe and convertible (my conversion) and some plain Fastbacks.  I think most of my other projects are on hold while I concentrate on build these 13 models.   I'll post updates as I make more progress.

 

IMG_2721.JPG

The Revell Starsky and Hutch engine block closely resembles a Cleveland, but then they added Windsor heads.

Are those interior pieces available to the rest of us? They look great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sledsel said:

The Revell Starsky and Hutch engine block closely resembles a Cleveland, but then they added Windsor heads.

Are those interior pieces available to the rest of us? They look great! 

Check with Kevin directly.  The masters are 1/24 (from the Danbury Mint Boss 351) so it will take some modifications to the AMT or MPC interior bucket to make it work.  he biggest giveaway of a Cleveland is the upper radiator hose goes straight down into the block and not sideways into the intake manifold like on a 351W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting facts about the 351 Boss or 351 Cleveland.  Don,t the NASCAR models use the 351 Cleveland’s with correct water inlets?

Duesie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming this is one of those engines (someone can confirm) it would be an acceptable option along with some stock exhaust manifolds and oil pan.

IMG_2735.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Assuming this is one of those engines (someone can confirm) it would be an acceptable option along with some stock exhaust manifolds and oil pan.

IMG_2735.JPG

What kit is that stuff from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Monty said:

What kit is that stuff from?

I think one of the old 90's Nascar ones.  I do not have the rest of the kits - just a few engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cobraman said:

That's a lot of Mustangs.

Drop in the bucket compared to a few thousand Cobras :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Assuming this is one of those engines (someone can confirm) it would be an acceptable option along with some stock exhaust manifolds and oil pan.

IMG_2735.JPG

That is a good one to mock a Cleveland. The Nascar engines of that period actually uses a Windsor type block. A little work on that AMT intake, be sure the water pump and timing cover is blue to look to be part of the block, and it would pass. 

That's how I did these

MVC-167S.jpg

MVC-165S.jpg

MVC-756F.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...