Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 388 - Finshed

11 hours ago, carsntrucks4you said:

It seems that this weeks challenge will be the one with the most correct answers since I had take over the quiz   :D

Probably an American car that is not too new or too old - just right from the group's demographics.  It looks familiar to me too, but I don't feel like doing the research.

14 hours ago, peteski said:

Probably an American car that is not too new or too old - just right from the group's demographics.  It looks familiar to me too, but I don't feel like doing the research.

It looked familiar to me and was the quickest search I've ever done for one of these quizzes, but I'm sure my search terms would offend many enthusiasts of this type of car.

Thanks guys for giving the hint to bandit1.  I didn't see his post. I'll leave this thread because I it is not fair to close it due fact that I forget the reminder not to post the answer in this thread. I had started a new thead with the rules. In the any future auto quiz thread  will be closed immedately if someone post the answer in th ongoing thread.

This time we had a 24 correct answers these were submitted by:

ChrisR

sjordan2

matthijsgrit

Pete J.

dshue76

blunc

Phirewriter

Earl Marischal

Matt Bacon

dw1603

Thom

MrObessive

1930fordpickup

Bucky

bobthehobbyguy

Bainford

Xingu

El Roberto

Deano

otherunicorn

landman

Badluck13

Dave Ambrose

slicks56

Congratulations to all winners

The body panels were made in an unheated warehouse in my home town and final assembly was done an hour away.

Unheated in the middle of one of the worst winters we had. People who see the cars always remark on the poor quality of the body. It's a miracle any were made at all.

But they could still hold thier own with the Vettes sold at the time and I'd have one in a heartbeat. 

11 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

I always thought they looked like a cheap kit car.

Yep, I thought they were. But from what I have read their crash impact tests were some of the best of the times.  Their downfall was due to lots of reject bodies and their reliance on engines from AMC and Ford which caused delays.

I used the search term "ugly 80's supercars" 

Jay Leno has said that cars of this very style produced in the 80's were really designed in the 70's but were too far ahead of their times. It seems that my thinking it was from the 80's means that there is some merit to that.

26 minutes ago, dshue76 said:

Yep, I thought they were. But from what I have read their crash impact tests were some of the best of the times.  Their downfall was due to lots of reject bodies and their reliance on engines from AMC and Ford which caused delays.

I used the search term "ugly 80's supercars" 

Jay Leno has said that cars of this very style produced in the 80's were really designed in the 70's but were too far ahead of their times. It seems that my thinking it was from the 80's means that there is some merit to that.

The "downfall" is that Malcolm Bricklin was a con man and sucked our provincial government into a deal that couldn't work in the time allotted to it. A lot of politics and back door dealings went on.

Yes, there were a lot of reject body panels ,, A LOT.  But you try curing fiberglass and laminating acrylic to it in an unheated warehouse in January in New Brunswick  when the daytime high is about -20 C.

There was no way they could meet production quotas under the conditions. Things got farther and farther behind. Eventually the whole deal just fell apart under it's own weight. 

But hey, at least out Premier at the time, Richard Hatfield got his free bright orange SV-1. 

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

The "downfall" is that Malcolm Bricklin was a con man and sucked our provincial government into a deal that couldn't work in the time allotted to it. A lot of politics and back door dealings went on.

Yes, there were a lot of reject body panels ,, A LOT.  But you try curing fiberglass and laminating acrylic to it in an unheated warehouse in January in New Brunswick  when the daytime high is about -20 C.

There was no way they could meet production quotas under the conditions. Things got farther and farther behind. Eventually the whole deal just fell apart under it's own weight. 

But hey, at least out Premier at the time, Richard Hatfield got his free bright orange SV-1. 

It seemed odd that an American got Canadian Government funding to build a car in Canada that would be sold in the US, what I read never mentioned Canadian sales. I think they proposed a $3500 car and when all was said and done the retail was closer to $7800. A base 74 Corvette coupe started at $5700.

11 hours ago, dshue76 said:

It seemed odd that an American got Canadian Government funding to build a car in Canada that would be sold in the US, what I read never mentioned Canadian sales. I think they proposed a $3500 car and when all was said and done the retail was closer to $7800. A base 74 Corvette coupe started at $5700.

Yes, it was all very odd. And is wasn't even Canadian federal government funding, it was the province of New Brunswick funding the deal. 

No, they were never officially sold in Canada but there are quite a few here. There were at least 3 here in Fredericton, which is the provincial capitol, alone. You're much more likely to see a Bricklin on the street here than a '50s or '60s Vette.

I was in high school when these were new and I always thought that is WAS a kit car and not a real car company! :blink:

For whatever reason, the car reminds me of the Kelmark GT kit car that a guy I knew was building in our shop class back when these were on the road. Maybe that's what made me think kit car!

$7800?? You could have bought a new Caddy for not much more than that, and at least you'd have the full backing of GM for whatever that was worth considering that period of time. ;)