Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting, the few Cobra kits from US manufactures

Greg Myers

I have the 1/43 Monogram.  Nice.  I haven't finished it but see it often.  The car actually fits in one of the drawers on my little storage thing on my bench.   I have the Fujimi.  Not impressed really.  THe parts seem so smooth and undetailed - no textures like the American mfrs seem to include.  I like the Revell/monogram better.   Have built a couple of those, including the drag car.  But I also recently bought a Wix diecast Cobra and it is better than any of those, if you don't mind not getting to build it.  That's a whole other issue here (yes I'm a heretic), but slide down to the diecast/resin page and we had a recent discussion about it.   Excellent replica.  Where can you get a model with functioning suspension, opening doors, hood, and trunk and all sorts of detail for less than $30?  I also have the Frankilin mint Boris version - almost as nice as the Wix car, but the paint is so over the top.  It's on eBay now.  I only bought it to resell.

I also have the 1/32 slot car.  Those were fun to race when I had a layout to run.  And well detailed.   Put that and a Corvette GS on track and it looked great!  

It is my firm belief that the Revell 1/24 slot car body "fathered" almost all resin cast 289 USRRC/FIA versions.  As well they should have as the body is accurate.  Revell at that time was only a few blocks away from Shelby's Princeton Ave facility, an easy walk to get measurements and photos, or better yet have Ken Miles drive one over to the plantRevell_cobra_57.thumb.jpg.4caf3c75119a3a3150a16d93cfc9e2fd.jpgRevell_cobra_58.jpg.0592b72121fe089445339c387f8c7978.jpg.

These photos are from the web.

100_1030.JPG.600398d7ae2fbc6246439ccefc3540d1.JPG

This one is a UMI FIA early resin.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

And last but not least :huh:

4116984420_9731178c4d_b.jpg.209f4b26247d8526dccf0c43be5520f9.jpg

5b7f611dbe0fc_MPC-721-2(1).jpg.bdb533ce5140bee06dfe47dae481c657.jpg

5b7f62b67d64f_MPC-1-0725-2(1)(1).jpg.21453a16c1292b85f710deb6deae5780.jpg

Interesting side story, and a sad commentary of the automotive conciseness of the time. 

When I started teaching Auto shop in the late seventies, if the Cobra subject came up talking to my students from the north west phoenix area, these were their visions of what a Cobra was.

I had my work cut out for me.

58 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Interesting side story, and a sad commentary of the automotive conciseness of the time. 

When I started teaching Auto shop in the late seventies, if the Cobra subject came up talking to my students from the north west phoenix area, these were their visions of what a Cobra was.

I had my work cut out for me.

That is an interesting story, kinda funny too.

Hard to imagine that within a decade, the real Cobra legends were already forgotten about. Especially in an automotive class with car enthusiasts. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Yeah, it was just a matter  of time someone would post up another Cobra thread. :P

Let's tack this on to one of the other Cobra threads too, as you know they are all the same. :D

Here's a link to more information and pictures ; https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/09/04/a-shelby-king-cobra-of-a-different-color-the-1965-lang-cooper-super-king-cobra/?refer=news

Shelby Super King Cobra.jpg

6-970x655.jpg

5-970x1318.jpg

It's sort of a cross between a GT40 (rear engine) and a Cobra (open car) but since they did not do a street version it falls into the same category as an Allard or Chapparel one of the many limited hand made race cars of the late 50's and early 60's

A number of years ago Tamiya offered a number of their 1/24 slot bodies through their website, the King Cobra being one. Was lucky enough to pick up multiples of all the bodies offered at the time. Planning on restoring some of my vintage slot cars and turning some into static kits. They can be found on the auction sites but may be listed as "K" body (King Cobra) or "M" body (McLaren) etc... That's how they were listed through Tamiya, probably to avoid licensing.

At the time they had reissued the Lotus 30 and 40, McLaren M1B, Ferrari 330 P2, Porsche Carrera 6, Lola T70 spyder and the King Cobra. Their '65 Plymouth was also listed but seemed to have sold out almost immediately.

Edited by Phirewriter