Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting, the few Cobra kits from US manufactures

Greg Myers

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

This is the only slab side in 1/24th scale that I have or am aware of.  Of course it is a diecast and the wire wheels are not so great.

100_1017.JPG.4a6b0b0cc0fe1ecce346f1f3d23f2492.JPG

I was mistaken about the slab sides, RMP from Japan did a resin 289 slab side transkit years ago.  I converted it to a Sebring roadster with flairs added to the back fenders from the front fenders of a Monogram 427Cobra_Sebring_003.jpg.6525a0480de3037a60b71621dcfae0e9.jpg.

40 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I was mistaken about the slab sides, RMP from Japan did a resin 289 slab side transkit years ago.  I converted it to a Sebring roadster with flairs added to the back fenders from the front fenders of a Monogram 427Cobra_Sebring_003.jpg.6525a0480de3037a60b71621dcfae0e9.jpg.

Gary, is this 1/24 scale?  I'm aware of a resin body of what I think is the best 1/24 scale version of an early Cobra I've ever seen.  The owner of the kit doesn't know the source - looks very much like your build before you added the fender flares.  Did you also add the hood scope?

In one of the modeling mags from the late '80s - early '90s, there was a listing in the new kit section. It was for a 1/43 Daytona Coupe kit from a Japanese manufacturer. This wasn't your average resin model. As a matter of fact, it was made out of brass. The whole model. Brass chassis, drivetrain, suspension, the works. Oh, the body panels were formed from almost paper-thin brass, too. You had to assemble this yourself by brazing or soldering the parts and everything you could possibly imagine was functional. What really made this kit stick in my mind was the price...............$1699. I've been trying to find more info on this for years. 

18 hours ago, Casey said:

A member sharing or asking for others to share the history of a particular kit(s) was one reason the Kit News & Review section's description was expanded by Harry:

Considering there are already two existing topics in that section discussing these exact kits, it would make sense to keep all the info together and easily found:

Yeah, why again are there suddenly a bunch of threads on the same topic that cannot be combined with each other? :wacko:

I've been told the Sunny Cobra kit is neither fish nor fowl.  It has aspects of the 289 and 427 Cobras all in one package.  Oh, and the Fujimi Cobra kit  is not a true Cobra.  It was referenced off of a kit car, and has a massively oversized windshield frame.

Edited by The Junkman

5 hours ago, Brett Barrow said:

From what I've heard the Academy kit would have been the project AccMin had started.  

I believe the  Academy kit is a Coupe and the Accurate Miniatures kit was supposed to be a roadster ?

daytona-coupe.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

1 hour ago, The Junkman said:

I've been told the Sunny Cobra kit is neither fish nor fowl.  It has aspects of the 289 and 427 Cobras all in one package.  Oh, and the Fujimi Cobra kit  is not a true Cobra.  It was referenced off of a kit car, and has a massively oversized windshield frame.

The Sunny kit most closely replicates an "AC 289".  When the Shelby contract expired AC Cars had left over 427 bodies but no 427 engines, so the stuck in a 289 and called  them an "AC 289"  The kit suspension however is still wrong as the AC 289 retained the 427's coil-overs with dual swing arms in lieu of the kits transverse leaf springs.   

Don't right off the Sunny kit however.  With work it can be built both as a...

FIA Roadster:

DSCN4457

or a 427:

DSCN3533

6 hours ago, Brett Barrow said:

From what I've heard the Academy kit would have been the project AccMin had started.  

Let's say the two would be related for sure.  My brother in law was AMII art director and helped with kit design before he unexpectedly passed away while working for AMII. What could have been.......

17 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Don't forget this "Cobra"

6fbfa2d1eac5646184f57365f61fd49d.jpg.7b6b027bc72f5cc273e3bf2973da286e.jpg

The car was built on a Cobra chassis!

True......albeit the 1:1's engine was set back a bit further towards the middle than the standard Cobra. That's one of those little tidbits I discovered when I built that kit years ago.

Please let us not forget the excellent Daytona Coupe  kit by Scale Motorsports in 24th scale.

The AMT kit was issued under the Frog brand name in the UK under licence as was the MPC by Airfix a number of years ago. I have the Frog kit still in my stash and am considering converting it back to what the Cobra was spawned from, the AC Ace.

11 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Let's not forget the Gunze kit and the MiniExotics resin body.  They are next to a Revell, Monogram and Wix cobra.

Good looking builds Rex.  I provided Mini Exotics a Bondo one based upon a vacuum formed slot car body.

Vacuum Formed   -  Bondo --  Mini Exotics in photo

100_1023.JPG.50058ba5cbac9aa5f2f3b0f36ca58a4e.JPG