Model Cars Magazine Forum

Haven't heard from Ace Garage Guy for awhile

High octane

Bill last visited here on August 6, and his last post was on August 5, in that thread about locking threads which turned pretty nasty at the end.  Maybe he is tired of some of the attitudes here, and simply is taking a break from the forum.  Or at least I hope that is the case, and he's otherwise ok.  I like his assertive (suffer-no-fools) personality and usually find the knowledge he is sharing with others here very educational and right-on-the-money.

Edited by peteski

I PM him every so often and sent him one about a week or so ago. I have not heard back from him which is unusual. Hopefully he is ok. The man really knows his stuff and has helped me out with things on models as well as my real cars and truck.

Any word from Bill..?

On 8/21/2018 at 2:37 PM, cobraman said:

I PM him every so often and sent him one about a week or so ago. I have not heard back from him which is unusual. Hopefully he is ok. The man really knows his stuff and has helped me out with things on models as well as my real cars and truck.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:55 AM, Casey said:

Maybe someone could try contacting him through facebook?: https://www.facebook.com/william.engwer

Well, with you being a moderator here, I guess we can assume that he hasn't been banned or told to go sit in the corner for a while, or something? 

So he's either taking a voluntary "walkabout" from here (have seen others do it on other forums, many times), or he's away on vacation or the like. I don't want to contemplate other possibilities at this point. :unsure:

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I haven't been a mod here for almost three years now.

Huh. As my Dad used to say, "You learn something new every day if you're not careful." B)

You do still seem to be pretty plugged-in here, though. B)

On 9/1/2018 at 6:51 PM, Snake45 said:

I guess we can assume that he hasn't been banned or told to go sit in the corner for a while, or something? 

You know what they say about assumptions? ;)

You're on the right train of thought there. I'm sure Bill is just fine right now, and will probably be back soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the concern of those of you who noticed I was MIA, and commented on it.

I was suspended from posting for 30 days due to an accusation of "abusive" behavior, which I vehemently deny, and was told to think about how my posts "hurt people".

I have thought about it in depth, and have concluded that this is a load of hypocritical, double-standard-encrusted bovine excrement.

First, here's the double-standard hypocrisy part. I have been PERSONALLY verbally attacked on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS, with the SOLE INTENTION of insulting me, calling me an outright liar regarding my accomplishments, stating that my presenting, in effect, a resume to give credence to my technical advice was in fact intended to HURT others...by members as well as at least one moderator. I have also been physically threatened and in one instance, told by a member that he wished I'd DIE. In MY mind, THIS IS ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR, directed UNAMBIGUOUSLY AND INTENTIONALLY TOWARDS AN INDIVIDUAL...yet I've never received an apology from ANY of the perpetrators of these actions, and to the best of my knowledge, none of them have been disciplined or called out in any manner whatsoever (in part because I usually do NOT go running to the moderators).

Now for MY supposed transgression. The only "hurt" I could possibly have caused would have been to a crybaby snowflake actively LOOKING for something to be offended by, and totally lacking any sense of humor or reading-comprehension ability.

The "offensive" post (and the post I responded to) are reproduced below. My little joke must not, apparently, have been deemed sufficiently egregious to have been removed, as I just NOW copied it from an existing thread...which makes me wonder at the logic behind my temporary suspension.

Post I responded to:  "One thing a lot of celebs do to foil potential autograph sellers is to only sign personalized messages including the person's name, which essentially makes the item practically worthless to anyone except that particular individual."

My response:  "Yeah, like "Good luck with your gender reassignment surgery, Felix. Much love, Winnie the Pooh"."

As far as I can tell, my reference to gender reassignment surgery, which was simply a humorous way of individualizing an autograph so completely that it would have very limited resale value (and was NOT IN ANY WAY DISPARAGING, INSULTING, OR NEGATIVE TOWARDS ANY INDIVIDUAL OR GROUP) was apparently considered as "abusive" and "hurtful" to the transgender community. Really?

So...if I had said instead "Good luck with your foot fungus, Felix", would THAT have been abusive and hurtful to those suffering from athletes foot? Somehow I doubt it.

I believe the politically-correct muzzling of free speech both here, all over the internet as a whole, and all over the WORLD has gone WAY BEYOND ANY REASONABLE BOUNDS.

In this time of perpetually-wadded panties, comedy like Monty Python and George Carlin delivered would not be tolerated, and we as a free-thinking society are the poorer for it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozNKwaqdlA8

Online commentaries by journalists, scientists, and philosophers whose ideas conflict with the party-line of the now Liberal, Left Wing-dominated media and social networks are quashed, reporters and commenters are shadow-banned or banned outright, and in some cases their accounts are permanently closed and their funding streams are intentionally cut. 

People are being charged with criminal offenses for using the wrong personal pronouns (deemed offensive by the more-than-2-gender community)  https://bjhspatriotpages.com/news/2018/01/15/controversial-gender-pronoun-laws-in-canada/  jokes that hit close to the truth are being labeled as "hate speech", and many who simply tell the truth are labeled as "racists" and "fascists" and "nazzis" (intentionally misspelled to clear the bad-word algorithm).

These behaviors would have been expected in openly Communist countries like the old USSR or China, but they should be abhorrent to anyone living in a FREE country.

And these actions are clear violations of the SPIRIT of one of the basic tenets of Western civilization, FREEDOM OF SPEECH, but are increasingly being allowed to stifle open expression of ideas, ideals, and beliefs.

IT HAS TO STOP, and I personally will NOT support any platform that engages in any form of censorship whatsoever...including Facebook and Twitter...that is the result of an effort to appease overly-sensitive political-correctness promoters at the cost of one of our BASIC AMERICAN LIBERTIES.

NOTE: Harry Pristovnik was able to make the distinction between "politics" and "civics" when judging whether a post was "political" or not. Here's hoping the current administration is capable of the same.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines civics as "the study of the rights and duties of citizens and of how government works." The definition from dictionary.com is: "the study or science of the privileges and obligations of citizens."

Holy carp, Bill, it is good to have you back!!  I for one appreciate you, brother.  You and I have a lot in common on many levels.  Several years ago, I sent you a PM more or less stating this same sentiment.  As is the popular saying these days, You keep doing you!  Welcome back!

Glad to see you back, Bill. 

You're dead on target with your comments. Too many sneaky cretins smiling in your face then complaining from under the table that they were "offended" about your, or other posters' comments. Grow up and act like adults. If you're so sensitive, and obviously lack anything remotely resembling a sense of humor, here's some advice.....stay off the internet, social media sites and lock yourself up in your house. Evidently, you aren't mentally or emotionally mature enough to interact with real adults in any type of social setting. This is how the real world operates. Yet, as you have pointed out, these are the same bums who have no problem insulting you directly and worse. I don't see them taking a board-mandated hiatus. I've said it before, and I'll repeat it ad nauseam, there is an elitist clique here, and at other fora. It's a small group which feels it has "earned" the right to get away with impugning another member's character and making disparaging remarks without fear of any penalties. We all know that occurs here. The number of posts questioning your knowledge, accusing you of acting as if you are smarter than anyone else in the room, etc. are more than enough proof of that "insider" attitude. 

I see remarks which imply that this site should be safe for younger members to feel comfortable . Younger members?!? Get real. The average member age is in the mid 40s. Even if there were teens, has anyone actually paid any attention to the way they talk? I was a soldier, truck driver and a teen at one time or another. I heard language from the Catholic Military Chaplain which would make your heads explode. I worked with female linehaul drivers who could make a friggin' longshoreman cringe when they snapped off some savory comments. You got a problem with somebody's sense of humor because it went over your head, don't reply to the post. Maybe listening to some Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Don Rickles or Richard Pryor might teach you something about what funny is and the importance of the First Amendment. You don't have to agree with anything someone says or writes; but, you have to respect their right, not privilege, to either form of expression.

Well well well Bill when you come back you sure know how to get every ones attention,I am not the one who banned you ~but~ if I got to your so call humorous remark you better believe I would have done the same.....I am sure I am gonna get banned,points or what ever for what I am about to say but I am sick of having to listen to this stuff over and over usually the same members complaining that their rights have been taken away and the fact as you some snowflake gets hurt well her its is Jack...you need to GROW UP as well,you constantly want to complain about the mods and the poor job they do and how the double standards are always going on,you yourself just thought you could slightly stick in

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

bovine excrement

….really?????? again lets see how Bill can push the rules,simple rules I may ad but RULES which you accepted when you joined the forums as well as the rest of you,DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!! and further more yes Harry was awesome indeed,I loved the guy as much if not more as the next but to keep bring up the fact of how he was this and he was that is ludicrous,he is no longer a mod and none of us 4 claim to be him or better but I said it before and I am gonna say it again,this mod job IS NOT EASY and we cant enjoy the forum as you because we have to babysit things like this and make decisions on whats right and what isn't but NOOOOOOOOO you sit behind you screen and act all knowing and all Mr.tough guy and argue and argue about how wrong we are and then your faithful followers chime in and make it that much more difficult ...This is a MODEL FORUM ...its about models.....so my advice to you is follow the rules and go build a model or start your own forum and have at it and see how flippin' easy that is.....again I am sure this will be my last as a mod because the board is gonna light up on our end because of your post and mine.....all I can say now is Bill and you too Joe,I wish you the best of luck and we will see who gets banned first,my money is on me...….and its been real....as Paul Harvey would say "Good Day"

I will only add that most folks who have been issued bans (temporary or permanent) were also give several warnings and reminders about the rules. Continued infractions is what gets most folks banned. Some blatant violations will get immediate bans as well.

Like Mike stated, this is a model forum. The man who owns and runs this site wants it kept as clean as possible so that kids can come here and enjoy the site. Doesn't matter if they do or not, the owner wants it kept clean so that they can. That is one of the fundamental rules of this board. If you cannot abide by it, this isn't the place for you.

The Off-Topic area was created to give folks a place to chat about some things other than models. It wasn't created so folks could just say anything they wanted. Maybe it is best if that section is removed, then maybe the conversations would stay model related.

Bill, you disappoint me. 

It should be obvious but, humor is much better when other people think it’s funny too. That wasn’t funny. Maybe you should get to know some transgender people? And you’re right. If you’d mentioned athelete’s foot, it simply would have been tasteless. Gender reassignment surgery is a sensitive subject. It’s unfortunate that you don’t understand that. 

And yes, I can speak from familiarity here. Much to my own surprise, I know two transgender people. 

Bringing in stuff from other contexts does little more than fuel someone’s sense of outrage without actually providing relevant information. Nobody’s getting charged with anything. But, if you really can’t abide by the guidelines we set down, you’re welcome to go elsewhere. You don’t pay for the servers or software maintenance.

I expect you to follow the guidelines. If someone is attacking you in a posting, report it. I don’t recall seeing any reports from you regarding that, though I could have easily missed them.

Thanks for bringing the original post to my attention. I intended to hide it, but apparently forgot. 

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

As far as I can tell, my reference to gender reassignment surgery, which was simply a humorous way of individualizing an autograph so completely that it would have very limited resale value (and was NOT IN ANY WAY DISPARAGING, INSULTING, OR NEGATIVE TOWARDS ANY INDIVIDUAL OR GROUP) was apparently considered as "abusive" and "hurtful" to the transgender community. Really?

Yes, really, Bill. When you use a group of people, especially those who have been marginalized by society for their choices or lifestyle, as part of a joke, insult, or slur, yes, that is hurtful, immature, insulting, insensitive, etc. Hopefully you (and anyone else who didn't or doesn't) now realize(s) that. 

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

Maybe it is best if that section is removed, then maybe the conversations would stay model related.

:)

Bill, one thing I've learned over the years on the net is that arguing with mods or trying to re-litigate some offense and punishment will get you into even more trouble than the original offense. Let it go, and move on, and try to stay out of trouble. We NEED you around here, old friend. B) (And don't forget to email me.) 

• Xingu locked this topic