[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
randyc

garage started 20 years ago

I think I did this around 20 years ago.   I have been running across it lately so thought I'd dust it off literally and staret using it for photos.   I saw some other week that were way more spectacular than mine.   I think I'll keep working on it again.    Needs finishing and needs shoring up after all these years - walls are a bit shaky.   The toolbox was the first piece - it's all one unit.  Nothing glued down.  And I can finally sell the earnhardt car this hood goes on!!!!

IMG_20180820_185730908.jpg

IMG_20180820_185957248.jpg

IMG_20180820_190020555.jpg

IMG_20180820_190026442.jpg

As I said in the other thread I really like what you have done with the garage.  It is rare to see one with bare walls but I bet the majority of garages are this way.

I need to add a little more to it.  Maybe some solder conduit to look like power and a couple more posters, a clock, etc.   I used a friend's garage as the model, more or less.  Just a guy's self-built garage.  BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH seems to accumulate along the walls.  Things hung on walls.   Need to fill up the shelves.   Maybe a model kit box or two.  Couple more projects on the workbench.  I have a whole Fujimi tool set to use for tools and such.   Have to find it as well.  Moves and divorce means stuff is spread everywhere.   I find stuff I forgot I had everytime I open a box.  

Need to get me a mechanic or two as well.

Thanks for the compliments.

Love that grinder, is it scratchbuilt?

I think it is an old R&D Unique piece.  It's zamac, 3 pieces, the ends and the body.   Needs a power cord and some electricity on the wall.  Someday...

Funnily enough, it was the grinder on the bench that caught my eye too....... so it has to be an important feature of your diorama.

David

The grinder is cool, I like the 1/2 open drawer on the tool box.  Care to share how you did that?  Also your bench appears to be made of real wood, popsicle sticks perhaps, or just great weathering?

Nice looking garage! Nice job on the walls and tables and other details. And my favorite Muscle Car-1970 Trans Am!

All the wood is balsa, if I remember correctly.  Even the table.  Balsa is so soft, it takes thinned paint easily and you can "distress" it easily, to any shade you like.   Little greasy handprint under the grinder.  A friend of mine had a garage where we worked on his local race car and the table was modeled after his work bench.  It still needs more stuff on it to make it look complete.   Too clean right now.  The crate may be from Fujimi.  With a 66 Nova cylinder head and some plastic in it.  At the time, the Nova head was only one with rocker detail.  

The base is foamboard - poster board that is glued to the styro filler.   That also takes paint well - I think I painted it with tans and grays and then wiped the paint off, leaving the mottled appearance.  The water stain is real - not sure where it came from.  But it works.  My office buddy that does trains was amazed he said,  But that was completely accidental.  I do need to attach it to some plywood.  

As for the tool box, I want to say it was one of the boxes in the 1/24 Mongram Stock Car plus kits from the 90s.   I think.   I could be wrong though - I had a BUNCH of them - still find them occasionally in my stash of parts.  Standard hobby methods.   Cut the drawer face out.  I MAY have used 2 boxes though - one to cut the drawer face from and one that is used with the hole cut out.   Then build a drawer from sheet plastic.  Then load the drawer with junk.   And then let collect dust for 20 years.  Use a toothbrush to knock off the huge piles of dust and you're left with this.  LOL.  Looks better now than when it was clean.

There are parts from Fujimi in this too - still have the rest of the set to add to the scene.  Other than that, the tools come from other kits as well - anything that had tools in it. I added a strip to the top to make that little pocket where the decals are - just like toolbox in friend's garage.  Decals cut from race car sheets.   The rest of the items are all glued to the toolbox so it lifts out as it's own model.   And not glued to base to allow for adjustment if I ever really work on it more.  

R&D unique used to make a LOT of white metal garage details.  I still have a spray gun that needs to be assembled and added - probably hanging on the wall.  Have to find things to put on table - need a vise as well.

Both cars are recent Welly diecasts that I picked up and added detail paint to.  Not doing so many kits these days - not much time to airbrush and such.  

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by randyc

Italeri makes a Field Tool Shop, while 1/35 scale has some useful pieces.

Nice Randy.

Very nice!

Very Cool!

David G.