Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building a Better F2005

Revell F2005.

This kit needs a lot of help.

First you have to decide if you want an early or late aero package. The late isn’t that much more work. The box art is incorrect. It shows a late aero package without the side pod splitter. The side splitter came first, but the box shows no side splitter but with the nose winglets. The kit has neither.

sidepod.jpg

When I started the kit was still relatively new and the closest PE set was for the F2003. There may be a F2005 set now, but I am not sure.

The hardest part to deal with is in the rear side covers around the transmission (part 35 & 36). For seam and painting purposes I recommend cut them in half (dark shaded to light shaded in the instructions) and attach the light shaded to the upper body, because there is no way to get to them if you build it like the instructions say.

P1010141.jpg

The engine is decent, and you will never see most of it. The only real place it needs help is the exhaust tips. They are way to small. I just heated some Evergreen rod and bent a nice radius and drilled out the ends. I seamed it the new part at the collector. You will have to do some test fitting to get the pipes to exit the bodywork in the right place and should be almost flush with the body.

exh9.jpg

P1010145.jpg

Forget about step 4 for now, you really need to build the upper body first so you can fit the engine and new exhaust. This will mean you will have to chop up the suspension bits so you can add them after the body is painted.

F12005A.jpg

The two new body aero parts are the little winglets on the nose that direct the air over the top suspension arm, and the splitter on the side pod by the radiator opening.

nose.jpg

They did run a nose camera at some of the later races and is optional.

Fcamera1.jpg

You can pretty much build the body in sequence. You may be tempted to fill the side fins, Part 8, but there is a natural seam there on the real car. I opted to open all the winglets with the back side of an Xacto.

Get your filler out because you are going to need it, especially around the radiator inlets. The fit here isn’t very good, and it will just take some time getting a smooth duct.

NOTE: leave the radiators off pt 20 & 23 for now so you can sand inside the duct.

I also cut apart the front wing, opened the snorkel scoop and the side winglets.

F2005B.jpg

The wheels are the worst part. They stick out too far, and are a snap on design.

The inside of the wheel should be almost flush with the CF brake-cooling shroud. To achieve this grind the inside of the wheel out until you get the wheels sitting where they should be.

duct7.jpg

Brake detail is virtually nonexistent; they are visible through the wheels so you can do what you think there. That is one of the reasons for getting a PE set. It has brake discs.

Wheel nuts are also nonexistent so I resin copied some from a Tamiya JACCS Honda wheel.

F2005.jpg

The brake ducts are horrible so I opened and cleaned them up.

It’s mostly clean, fitting, filling and reshaping

I have no idea what to do about the rear tires, which are too small. They appear to be wide enough but they are slightly shorter than the fronts. So they look weird.

The seat bets are molding in the seat, but there are no decals for them at all. I am grinding mine out and replacing them with a set of Eduard belts.

HTH

Edited by CAL

Thanks Cal, for starting this thread. Revell Germany's kits are ###### sure not Tamiya, but their subject matter is fantastic. You are certainly doing us F1 modeler's a great service with this thread. If my abilities, and camera for that matter, approach yours someday, I will try and do the same for others.

Needless to say, I will be following this thread with great interest.

Greg

Thanks Cal, for starting this thread. Revell Germany's kits are ###### sure not Tamiya, but their subject matter is fantastic. You are certainly doing us F1 modeler's a great service with this thread. If my abilities, and camera for that matter, approach yours someday, I will try and do the same for others.

Needless to say, I will be following this thread with great interest.

Greg

You are welcome. They are not anywhere near Tamiya F1 kits, but I have to agree the subject is great. You can build a pretty decent representation of the cars with some work. They just need a little help. Just by thinning everything down as far as you can help a lot on it's own.

Edited by CAL

Thank you very much Cal!

I have this kit and plan to start on it soon. Your information is very valuable!

Regards,

Not a problem, if I remember or come up with anything else I will let you all know.