Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Woody modifications

dino246gt

I used the front clip to make a '41` coupe years ago, on Revell's '48 body, so I had this AMT woody body left over.

Here it is totally stock, I don't want a 4 door!

So I removed the B pillars and tried to scribe the lines back in for future development.

I thought that if I removed the roof and "sectioned" it about a scale 3 inches it might look sleeker.

Then I removed the other pillars, the roof has been sanded down 1/8th of an inch, approx 3 scale inches but it's not glued back on yet.

I'm not sure of where I'll go with this, IF I decide to chop it, now is the time to do that! I do want to make it into a 2 door with modern chassis and interior, wheels etc.

All suggestions and wild ideas are encouraged to be posted, please!

IMG_4344 (Large).JPG

IMG_4346 (Large).JPG

IMG_4403 (Large).JPG

IMG_4424 (Large).JPG

You are correct, now is the time to chop the top if that's the way you want to go. So far I really like how you removed the "crown" from the roof. That in it's self is a vast improvement. The two door idea wouldn't be hard to do at this point. Use some Plastruct moldings to outline the door opening and going up to the roof. I would take a guess at the size of the side window for the back seat passengers and add a post between that window and the window for the area behind the back seat. The front end is an area that you could do something really interesting making it something other than a Ford.

• 4 months later...

I"m thinking of light tan, which I've already painted it in, but I've dropped the hood 3 times and each time it chipped, so a repaint is in order.

I've re-designed the rear wood configuration and fitted the Chevy dash, still making interior panels, remember it started as a 4 door Ford.

IMG_5992.JPG

I've looked at the pictures several times trying to figure out how you took the Crown out of that roof section. I see where you removed it with a saw but nothing after that until it's back in place.Did you widen it by cutting it into sections then spreading those out to the sides and fill in the gaps? That looks great but surely not a simple thing to do.

Tom, I removed it at the drip rail, then using an emery board, sanded the roof section down just a bit, then glued it back on, keeping the rear where it belongs, only shortage was where the windshield header mates. The roof was vinyl, now it's smooth so blending it in at the top of the windshield header was easy. In scale, 1/8th of an inch equals about 3 inches!

So at first it was going to be a high end modern custom, then I thought maybe better as a '60s surfer woody, but I also thought about making it into something like a Dodge Power Wagon, 1 ton!!! Still dreaming and working on the interior panels, slowly between other projects!