Model Cars Magazine Forum

My introduction to Wellys and Diecasts

Gramps46

20 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Yup, that is the same Mustang I bought at Walmart and sent you photos of this afternoon.  Oh well, I will just keep it in the background in some photo shoot.

Thanks Rex.

You can always repaint it and make a Sprint or an Eleanor.  Change the grille and wheels and give it a whole new look.

IMG_2950.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to see some Maisto diecast today at Rite Aid in amongst the toys.  I had seen Maistos at Walgreens before but never Rite Aid.  These are a little out my lane but could not resist the Nissan 370Z and Shelby Series 1 at $9.99 each.

100_1069.JPG.c34bee5c7276f084a9742bdb9823167f.JPG

34 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I was surprised to see some Maisto diecast today at Rite Aid in amongst the toys.  I had seen Maistos at Walgreens before but never Rite Aid.  These are a little out my lane but could not resist the Nissan 370Z and Shelby Series 1 at $9.99 each.

100_1069.JPG.c34bee5c7276f084a9742bdb9823167f.JPG

Those are both cool, and have been added to my "Buy On Sight for $9.99" list. B)

On 10/3/2018 at 8:23 PM, Tom Geiger said:

For the most part, if a plastic kit exists I'd prefer to have that, but I have no issue with diecast of a car or truck I'll never see in plastic!

Same here, as long as the shape looks right. Of course, there are a couple cars like first-gen Camaros and C2 Corvettes that I"ll buy just about anything in plastic OR diecast if it looks good. Just got a new (First Gear) '69 Camaro, even though I already have AMT, MPC, Monogram, and Revell kits, and Round 2, Classic Metalworks and Johnny Lightning diecasts. 

Just got back from my bimonthly Rite Aid run and scored a Welly 2007 Shelby GT500 Mustang, red with white stripes, that looks darn nice and shouldn't take much Snake-Fu to get on the shelf. It just rose to the top of my To-Do list, and I might go ahead and Snake-Fu a Johnny Lightning '67 Shelby I got a few months ago at the same time. 

• 2 weeks later...

The mail man was very good to me today!  Orders I had been waiting on came in today plus a surprise at Walmart. The Ferrari 166MM Barchetta is by Deagostini In the Ferrari Le Grandi Collection and has been one of my holy grails.   The Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Tour de France is by BBurago but had been in the Le Grandi collection originally.  I gave up on the 166MM Barchetta transitioning to a BBurago release and spent the money on the original issue.  Both of the Ferraris will need some detailing especially to tone down the wire wheels.

The Welly 911 GT3RS is a new release and I could not resist it and the Motor Max 2002 Thunderbird was a surprise at Walmart.

I am a happy camper today.

100_1089.JPG.252317349abf5d0852e4daa5b4ffca29.JPG

A few years back, I bought a couple of Welly '55 Olds kits, as the only game in town for that particular subject. Most of the stuff is pretty well useless to a "serious" modeler, and the scale is

some oddball 1/ 26.587723...but the bodies are definitely a place to start if one wants a reasonably accurate '55 Olds, and doesn't want to start with a block of wood.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

The mail man was very good to me today!  Orders I had been waiting on came in today plus a surprise at Walmart. The Ferrari 166MM Barchetta is by Deagostini In the Ferrari Le Grandi Collection and has been one of my holy grails.   The Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Tour de France is by BBurago but had been in the Le Grandi collection originally.  I gave up on the 166MM Barchetta transitioning to a BBurago release and spent the money on the original issue.  Both of the Ferraris will need some detailing especially to tone down the wire wheels.

The Welly 911 GT3RS is a new release and I could not resist it and the Motor Max 2002 Thunderbird was a surprise at Walmart.

I am a happy camper today.

100_1089.JPG.252317349abf5d0852e4daa5b4ffca29.JPG

I've seen that T-Bird at my Walmart before, but my Walmart hasn't had anything new for 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe yours is a sign that they're being restocked, so there's hope. 

I wouldn't order that Porsche but if it shows up at Rite Aid next week, I'd get it, 'cause it would look great with my yellow Boxster and red Carrera S. B)

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A few years back, I bought a couple of Welly '55 Olds kits, as the only game in town for that particular subject. Most of the stuff is pretty well useless to a "serious" modeler, and the scale is

some oddball 1/ 26.587723...but the bodies are definitely a place to start if one wants a reasonably accurate '55 Olds, and doesn't want to start with a block of wood.

Yup, I did same.   Got mine for about $5 plus shipping.   Waited patiently and was able to pick up a Danbury mint later for like $13,.  Pictures were awful, had some kinda black spot on fender in paint in photos, looked bad in general.  Modeling skills to the rescue!  Blob in paint was ON paint and buffed out easily.   The white paint on my Welly was badly cracked.  

I just ordered the Welly '67 Firebird and '68 Olds 4-4-2 from Diecastmodelswholesale.com. They didn't have the Firebird in stock last time I checked, a couple weeks ago, but they have them today. Better yet, the 4-4-2 was marked down from $19.99 to $14.99, almost as cheap as Rite-Aid. Even better, they're having "cyber Monday" sale--put CYBERMONDAY in the coupon code at checkout and they knock 10% off the price of everything. $9.95 shipping flat rate for any quantity of anything. So I've got two nice diecasts coming for something like $41 total. Not bad--about what I'd expect to pay at Walmart IF they ever got these two cool things in, which of course they never do. 

On 10/24/2018 at 8:14 AM, randyc said:

Great!   Can't wait to see the 4-4-2.   Be sure to report back on it.   That might be one I'd like, but haven't seen one in anything other than a listing photo and those do it no favors.  

Got it today. Have given it a once-over and I'm VERY impressed. Body profile seems spot-on. Length and wheelbase are VERY close to an AMT '72 Chevelle I happen to have on the bench, so I guess it's darn close to 1/25, although it's definitely narrower--about the same width as a Revell '69 Camaro. Paint is smooth, even, shiny, and seems to be a passable representation of '68 Olds Sapphire Blue (it's also available in a color somewhat like Cinnamon Bronze, and in a very bright red that's too bright for the factory color). 

Only gig I can find is that, like their '70 GSX, it seems to sit a little high, on tires that look a hair tall and wheels that look a hair undersize. Will try to measure these tomorrow. 

This one's going right to the top of my To Do list. Shouldn't take more than 2, maybe 3 hours of Snake-Fu in detailing wheels and trim and so forth. Hope to get it done tomorrow and have pics up ASAP. I'll try to photograph it with my built AMT '69 for size and shape comparison. 

I'm almost as impressed by this one as I was by their '70 Challenger TA. Good stuff! B)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Another trip to Rite Aid to pick up prescriptions and another Welly Porsche for $9.99.  This is a 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder and the interior detail is outstanding.

100_1171.JPG.2d3bd82c955ed2790f07edf50199e62d.JPG100_1176.JPG.cac82e93fe1dd605cab777d7c7b3a2aa.JPG

I agree. I got one a couple months ago and could find very little to Snake-Fu on it. I think all I did was sand the tire treads, and hit the rims of the wheels with a Silver Sharpie because I really didn't like the black "rimless" look. 

DCPorsche91801.jpg.5b7474b5554bc711f698d242679ce9a8.jpg

DCPorsche91809.jpg.7170535d3f7baa4123ad5b448cc3af1f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I received an Amazon gift card from my son for Christmas and was kind at a loss on how I wanted to spend it.  So I searched on 1/24 diecasts and noticed this Motor Max 1979 Chrysler Lebaron  Town and Country Station Wagon.  I wanted another tow vehicle instead of pickup trucks so I thought why not?

I am actually favorably impressed with it, better than what I expected.  The interior has no detail highlighted so some painting is called for but that is about all that I plan to do.  Well maybe a trailer hitch.

100_1213.JPG.8fed2fc81b7ea53345084a67d0fa33c3.JPG100_1215.JPG.38eab6041e578fcccdeb2e58ba81269b.JPG100_1212.JPG.aa2abd8fa675a70b929109e07456bbf4.JPG

20 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I received an Amazon gift card from my son for Christmas and was kind at a loss on how I wanted to spend it.  So I searched on 1/24 diecasts and noticed this Motor Max 1979 Chrysler Lebaron  Town and Country Station Wagon.  I wanted another tow vehicle instead of pickup trucks so I thought why not?

I am actually favorably impressed with it, better than what I expected.  The interior has no detail highlighted so some painting is called for but that is about all that I plan to do.  Well maybe a trailer hitch.

100_1213.JPG.8fed2fc81b7ea53345084a67d0fa33c3.JPG100_1215.JPG.38eab6041e578fcccdeb2e58ba81269b.JPG100_1212.JPG.aa2abd8fa675a70b929109e07456bbf4.JPG

Cool! And how else are you ever going to own a model of one of those? B)

39 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Bob,

I was turned off by the how dull and lifeless the 675LT looked but you have breathed new life into it.  Congratulations.

Thanks! One of the 4 Welly colors is like a pearl highlighter yellow, it's not at all dull and lifeless aside from all the black plastic on the chassis, interior, and ground effects. The model comes apart in about 30 seconds, the seats are gorgeous and snap in/out with relative ease, so no problem changing the color scheme. I need to order the Porsche GT3RS and the AMG GTR, both of which are only available for now in Europe but both look typically good.