Model Cars Magazine Forum

My introduction to Wellys and Diecasts

Gramps46

Two especially nice Welly models are the '63 split-window Corvette in red or light-blue metallic with realistically opening doors:  https://ck-modelcars.de/de/welly-1-24-chevrolet-corvette-baujahr-1963-hellblau-metallic-24073b/p-48877/

and their 1976 Porsche turbo which has been done in - I think - 6 different colors (4 of them in Porsche museum packaging): https://ck-modelcars.de/de/welly-1-24-porsche-911-930-turbo-baujahr-1975-hellgruen-map02493014/p-26184/

I have both in my collection and find the proportions spot-on; the detailing is also not bad and  offers some upgrading possibilities.

Nice Lebaron.  I've thought about it but the wife says no way!   LOL    She actually approves of MOST of my die casts.   The weird Cobra from the Mint being the exception.   I hated it too, but it was bought for resale and left for about twice what I had in it.  

The LeBaron wagon needs its own thread.  Just saying...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

All the diecast models on here look great!

I was looking to see if anyone had tried the 1:24 Rastar Range Rover Sport, and saw the welly.

I got 4 from Ali Express, gave two to my nephews for Christmas, and kept two. It was cheaper to buy four than one, because of the slow boat shipping.

I see that you can get them from Amazon too...still ships from China.

I gave up watching the NFL five seasons ago because of all the on field disrespect to rival players, fans, officials etc. and the off field criminality (but that's another story)

I began to watch more and more Rugby Union, after only catching a few matches over the last 40 years. But because of the internet, I have been able to see tons of matches, especially the annual international tournaments each season, including the last Rugby World Cup RWC2015.

I decided to customize one of the RRs in tribute to the New Zealand All Blacks.

I'm not too happy about the lighting today, and the air is full of static because of the rain (lint etc.)

But here they are.

The All Blacks emblems and "mokus" are waterslide from Max-Models in Italy, the Hawaii state flag is a sticker from B.E.C.C. in England, the Adidas emblems on the headrests and rugby ball are waterslide from Grand Prix models also in England, and the NEW Hawaii registration plate is a print out on heavy stock from our good friend Bill at Spencer1984

IMG_20190115_130004.jpg

IMG_20190115_120046.jpg

IMG_20181202_112743.jpg

IMG_20190115_115938.jpg

IMG_20190115_120442.jpg

Edited by NuovoSFPD2n3/4
Cropped photos

Just got a delivery from American Excellence in NC; 1/24th Welly Porsche GT3 RS and WhiteBox Citroen Ami 6. I got the Porsche because I love the real car (and there's no sign of a kit), I got the Citroen because it's the most hilariously fugly car ever made :D and there'll never be a kit. Got an extra Porsche so I can paint it a cool color.

2v2EQsFUhxvKa6.jpg

2v2EQsFvFxvKa6.jpg

2v2EQsFEWxvKa6.jpg

2v2EQsFHGxvKa6.jpg

14 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Just got a delivery from American Excellence in NC; 1/24th Welly Porsche GT3 RS and WhiteBox Citroen Ami 6. I got the Porsche because I love the real car (and there's no sign of a kit), I got the Citroen because it's the most hilariously fugly car ever made :D and there'll never be a kit. Got an extra Porsche so I can paint it a cool color.

2v2EQsFUhxvKa6.jpg

2v2EQsFvFxvKa6.jpg

Bob, I am now confused, (so what else is new?)  Your Welly GT3 RS is different from my Welly GT3 RS.  Any idea what gives?

100_1226.JPG.5a3982bdc2e87be41a0c1169a26acddc.JPG

15 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Bob, I am now confused, (so what else is new?)  Your Welly GT3 RS is different from my Welly GT3 RS.  Any idea what gives?

Different generations...the white one is newer.   The orange one appears to be a 997 from about 2008. The white one appears to be the 991.2 from 2016-17..

Edited by Rob Hall

The new Welly GT3 RS is the 2016 991 generation; the old one has been available for many years. The new one is also available in Lava Orange, kind of a burnt orange. I'm scheming a "paint to sample" version w/some Studio27 GT3 RS decals that were done for the old Welly variant; a handful of Porsche customers have custom ordered their GT3 RS in vintage paint to sample colors w/various vintage GT3 RS graphics. Seinfeld's GT3 RS is paint to sample in the liquid chrome blue that was offered on the 918 Spyder...looks pretty sweet. No kit? No problem! For $20 I can rip it apart, repaint it, and have just as much fun w/a bit less stress.

Thanks guys, when I bought the orange one I thought I was getting the latest.  Dah!  Should have done my research.  I did a  quick check on American Excellence who I have used before I did not find the new one listed.   Maybe it was too quick a check.

Because I liked the Citroen Ami model so much, ordered a couple more WhiteBox French cars; Renault 16 and Citroen SM. Placed order w/American Excellence last Thursday AM, their UPS flat-rate shipping had them to my door less than 30 hours later. I'll leave the Renault as-is, I want to improve the SM in stages. It needs a few minor paint touchups, I'd like to cover all the tampo-printed silver trim w/bare metal foil, and revise all the lenses to remove the mounting nibs. If I'm really brave it might get a repaint to jet black. Yesterday I turned the wire axle mounting holes into slots, lowering the model by .2" all around so it looks like it's properly parked which improves the look of the model a lot.

2v2EQWwZCxvKa6.jpg

2v2Ebu8zNxvKa6.jpg

2v2EbuMorxvKa6.jpg

45 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I'd like to....revise all the lenses to remove the mounting nibs. 

That job can be a real PITA, what with repolishing on the inside and whatnot. I've found that if you hit the very end of the stem with white paint--not chrome, not silver, not foil, WHITE--in many cases it virtually disappears and and in the rest the googly-eyed appearance is greatly reduced. WAY easier than removal and polishing, and very effective! 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

That job can be a real PITA, what with repolishing on the inside and whatnot. I've found that if you hit the very end of the stem with white paint--not chrome, not silver, not foil, WHITE--in many cases it virtually disappears and and in the rest the googly-eyed appearance is greatly reduced. WAY easier than removal and polishing, and very effective! 

I do that too sometimes, all depends on the lens/bucket itself. I think the headlights on the SM are already painted from behind, the nib will have to go in that case. The Renault has cleverly hidden nibs on the headlights and the taillights/turn signals are tampo printed transparent red/orange over chrome, they look sharp.

• 1 month later...

I had occasion to go to a Rite-Aid in a different town today. Only a couple things there I hadn't seen before--a 1980 Alfa Romeo of some kind, and a black '57 Corvette that looked a bit oversized. They had another example of the silver '71 Chevelle convertible, which at least didn't have the scratched paint that the one in my local store for months has. So I bought it. Not a GREAT diecast, but where else you gonna get a '71 Chevelle for $10. Doesn't look like it will take too much Snake-Fu to be shelfworthy, so you should be seeing pics soon. 

I have that convertible.   Used the boot for that GSX conv I did for a guy a while back.   Now he wants it to be displayable again.  So gotta work that out when weather is suitable for working at my bench.   They really aren't bad for the price and as you know, can be detailed to a really nice shelf model.    Bring on the pics.

2 hours ago, randyc said:

I have that convertible.   Used the boot for that GSX conv I did for a guy a while back.   Now he wants it to be displayable again.  So gotta work that out when weather is suitable for working at my bench.   They really aren't bad for the price and as you know, can be detailed to a really nice shelf model.    Bring on the pics.

Finishing it up even as we speak; should have pics up no later than this weekend. It responded AMAZINGLY well to 1st Degree Snake-Fu, no heroic measures required, and I'm actually surprised how good it looks. Not quite as good as the '68 4-4-2, but not far behind. 

I don't like convertibles and will be looking (eventually) for some way to change that. Thinking of whacking the top off an AMT '70 and seeing if I can fit it as a black vinyl top, or perhaps turning it into a convertible up-top. 

On 2/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, Snake45 said:

Finishing it up even as we speak; should have pics up no later than this weekend. It responded AMAZINGLY well to 1st Degree Snake-Fu, no heroic measures required, and I'm actually surprised how good it looks. Not quite as good as the '68 4-4-2, but not far behind. 

I don't like convertibles and will be looking (eventually) for some way to change that. Thinking of whacking the top off an AMT '70 and seeing if I can fit it as a black vinyl top, or perhaps turning it into a convertible up-top. 

I may still have the metal top off the GSX.  Probably have some bad gaps at cut lines though.  LOL.  

1 hour ago, randyc said:

I may still have the metal top off the GSX.  Probably have some bad gaps at cut lines though.  LOL.  

I have the impression that the GSX might be a little smaller than the Chevelle. (I can't find my GSX at the moment--a complete mystery where it is, but it'll turn up eventually.) If you have it, you might check. 

It would be easier to modify the plastic top as necessary anyway, I think. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Two especially nice Welly models are the '63 split-window Corvette in red or light-blue metallic with realistically opening doors:  https://ck-modelcars.de/de/welly-1-24-chevrolet-corvette-baujahr-1963-hellblau-metallic-24073b/p-48877/

I got one of these last week after seeing one in person--it looks a lot better in 3D than the pictures. I'm hoping to lay my Snake-Fu on it today (or at least this weekend) and get it on the shelf. It's not my favorite Welly, but I think it IS my favorite diecast '63 Vette--and I have three different kinds now.