Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sanding Questions

I have a model that I'm going to be needing to do a lot of sanding on and was wondering, is there something out there that would allow me to "block sand" panels?  I know there normal sandpaper and sanding sticks but I can never seen to get a smooth and unified finish to what I'm working on so thats why I'm asking.  I'd imagine there has to be a something out there thats more rigid and allows for flat finishes

I assume you’re wet sanding? You need a little give under the sand paper. I use a Staedler Mars radiergummi for most of my sanding needs. 

I keep thinking that one of these days, I’m going to sit down and design some proper sanding blocks for model cars, then, sanity returns. 

Sanding blocks can be made out of flat blocks or sticks of wood of various shapes and sizes. Hard rubber pencil erasers also make good ones. 

It sounds like something like a good 10" flat fine-cut single-cut mill file might work well for you, too. I keep one on hand at all times and use it VERY frequently. 

1 hour ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I keep thinking that one of these days, I’m going to sit down and design some proper sanding blocks for model cars, then, sanity returns. 

PLZ.. ....add me to the list when the sanding blocks are available! :D

Since most bodies have a small amount of contour you might use sanding pads and sticks. The sticks are foam backed with sanding surface on both sides. They are offered in a wide range from very course to very fine. The pads are 2" square and are designed for the final finishing.   MOst good Hobby Shops should have them and I have also seen them at Hobby Lobby.

16 hours ago, espo said:

Since most bodies have a small amount of contour you might use sanding pads and sticks. The sticks are foam backed with sanding surface on both sides. They are offered in a wide range from very course to very fine. The pads are 2" square and are designed for the final finishing.   MOst good Hobby Shops should have them and I have also seen them at Hobby Lobby.

Thanks for the tips.  Gonna have to look into those options.  I have sanding sticks but need to replace them.  Kinda worn out.  LOL

For precision block sanding you want something with a ground finish or close to it.

Various solid tungsten carbide shapes. Triangles are really good for gripping the sandpaper and they come in various sizes and various corner radii.

But i'll use steel dowels, high-speed tool bits with sharp corners, a 6" stainless rule and even sandpaper wrapped over the edge of a single-edge razor blade.

The beauty of the carbide is that it does not rust. Good because nearly all my block sanding is done wet.

dFfKoVb.jpg

Edited by Rat Roaster