Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garbage Truck Update 10/15/18 Under Glass

New project, this is the inspiration, a 1946 Mack I saw at a show a few years back.

165745969.jpg

I started with the Monogram garbage truck, just to get the packer body.

168012275.jpg

This isn't going to be a replica of the one I saw, but more of a representation.

Extra stuff was removed from the body and holes patched.

168012270.jpg

Rear hatch was modified to be open.

168012273.jpg

And installed on the body

168012268.jpg

I added a couple of details inside the back, to smooth out the floor and added the packer blade.

168012266.jpg

This is a 1/24 scale kit and will go on a 1/25 scale chassis.  I'm not worried as the packer body is on the small side anyway.  I have not chosen a chassis/cab yet.  I thought the Ford C600 would work, but I think the cab will look too big.  Next, I thought the Lindberg Dodge would look good, so I'm waiting on one to arrive.  I suspect it might still be too large so I have a 41 Chevy coming that I think will be the one.  Then I'll choose some wheel/tire combos to complete the look.  Packer body still needs a few details but I'm holding off in case I need to make some more mods to get it to look right.

Edited by Warren D

I've never had the garbage truck kit in hand and I've always wondered how involved it would be to do this with it. I'll be keeping an eye on this build for sure. As a teen I used to work for my cousins' uncle, he had a trash hauling business and his workhorse was an early 70's International Loadstar 1600 single axle with a packer body. I've often wondered if this packer body would work to recreate that truck.

4 hours ago, dshue76 said:

I've never had the garbage truck kit in hand and I've always wondered how involved it would be to do this with it. I'll be keeping an eye on this build for sure. As a teen I used to work for my cousins' uncle, he had a trash hauling business and his workhorse was an early 70's International Loadstar 1600 single axle with a packer body. I've often wondered if this packer body would work to recreate that truck.

I can get you some measurements if you want.  The packer is small for a full sized truck.

I'm currently measuring and photographing a packer body from the local waste management , plan was mount the scratchbuilt packer onto the reissued Autocar . 

Cant wait to see what ya come up with , always thought these would make an interesting project 

10 hours ago, Warren D said:

I can get you some measurements if you want.  The packer is small for a full sized truck.

Measurements would be great. It wouldn't be too hard to lengthen and/or widen it if need be. The truck I want to copy didn't have a very high capacity packer if I remember correctly it was only a 10 to 12 cubic yard capacity.

1 hour ago, dshue76 said:

Measurements would be great. It wouldn't be too hard to lengthen and/or widen it if need be. The truck I want to copy didn't have a very high capacity packer if I remember correctly it was only a 10 to 12 cubic yard capacity.

The front end is 2.8" wide by 2" tall.  Body along the bottom from front to where the down slope starts is 2.5".  According to my calculations, that makes capacity in 1:1 of about 5 CY.  Adding height would be the hardest.  It looks well proportioned, just small.

I have the 3 kits in that I needed to decide how to proceed.  Pics are below for comparison.  The first is the Ford C600.  Cab looks too big for the small packer body.  Next is the Dodge and it might be ok, and I do kind of like the look.  Finally is the 41 Chevy pickup.  I like this one the best as it's close to the look of the Mack in the first post.  Now I have to figure out what to use for wheels and tires.  The kit tires with the P/U are way too small.

168039701.jpg

168039702.jpg

168039705.jpg

16 hours ago, Warren D said:

...Now I have to figure out what to use for wheels and tires.  The kit tires with the P/U are way too small.

One option to keep an eye on when various kits don't have the right wheels/tires is the growing number of diecast collectibles out there, especially when some can be gotten for cheap or for parts. Here's one example.

5b8625c435f65_GMCtoywheels.jpg.f049739b69c99729a9d4f88e863016bf.jpg

4 hours ago, Russell C said:

One option to keep an eye on when various kits don't have the right wheels/tires is the growing number of diecast collectibles out there, especially when some can be gotten for cheap or for parts. Here's one example.

5b8625c435f65_GMCtoywheels.jpg.f049739b69c99729a9d4f88e863016bf.jpg

Thanks I think I have the wheels figured out.  Something about me doesn't like to take something whole and break it down into parts.

18 minutes ago, disabled modeler said:

What about using a pickup cab in front of it..???

Could do that too.  That's what the 41 Chevy is.  It's the size for a Ford F350-650, we have one at work.  I'm looking for an older look so I'm going with the 41.

Just now, Warren D said:

Could do that too.  That's what the 41 Chevy is.  It's the size for a Ford F350-650, we have one at work.  I'm looking for an older look so I'm going with the 41.

I agree with you on them Warren....Id like to build one myself its just too cool of an idea not to.  For me I could use an older truck or a newer one but not past a 1976 model year.   One would have to have the stuff to start one anyway..LOL..!

• 5 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, clayton said:

The garbage truck kit is it still on the market or a once in a lifetime find?

They can be found out there yet but with the Tom Daniels show rod series in limbo for any future releases if you want one id try to get a hold of it soon...just in case.   id like to have the rear 1/2 of one myself for this kind of build too.