Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT NYPD Chevy Police Van

Casey

55 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Question on the roof of these van's, is it really smooth?

No, the roofs on the real vans have raised ribs. At some point, the AMT Chevy Van kit's roof ribs were removed, leaving the roof smooth:

This van was  a 1 ton 30 series, so tires and wheels were always incorrect since this van introduction, however, now we have Scenes Unlimited for 8 lug wheels and tires. The hubcaps are close, but the outside edges were bumped up much too far, a little filing is in order to correct this problem, but you loose the chrome in the process. Here is a shot of what a 30 series 1 ton cap is supposed to look like. Notice period  16.5" Goodyear Hi millers in this photo, very similar to tires AMT used on the 1 ton F 350 Ford Super Camper Special pickup ( star truk )

IMG_5657.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

To add in regarding the 1 ton components the rear differential should be a GM corporate 14 bolt 8 lug for a 73 and later and the early units had a drop out carrier style that surprisingly a really good likeness can be found under the Petty Dart kit car! AMT kinda missed the mark with the what was supposed to be an 8 3/4 Chrysler differential in that kit!

2 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

To add in regarding the 1 ton components the rear differential should be a GM corporate 14 bolt 8 lug for a 73 and later and the early units had a drop out carrier style 

Good point. I guess it depends on what year the build is. If it has a blue bowtie on grill and hubcaps it would be a '72 with old style round heavy duty Eaton differential, if the build is a '73+, the grill bowtie and hubcap bowtie is gold with the GM corporate style axle. Check out this rare open road version, much more details to pin point year to '71 or '72 model year van.(not mine).https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-Chevy-Van-Open-Road-Mini-Motor-Home-Stock-Chevrolet-Camper-or-Custom-Van/323413916267?hash=item4b4cf8ba6b:g:-zYAAOSwEDtbgXgZ

Edited by leafsprings

Great old kit. Never thought it would be reissued.

As for what the year of van it is, the dashboard says it's a 71 or 72. Dashboard for a 73 is 1 year only and is a little different because they

mounted the heater controls horizontal. Also, the wiper switch,ignition,& lighter & in different locations.

71 GM vans had clear front turn signal lenses in the grill,but that would be easy to do.

Mark, I don't think it will be a re-issue of the original. I am guessing that it will be a reissue of the recent "Fire Chief" van, with new decals, and possibly a couple new parts. The window van glass and body are gone for good, I fear.   I would be happy to be proven wrong, of course.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:54 AM, alexis said:

The window van glass and body are gone for good

^This. Sadly, the correct ribbed roof seems to be long gone as well. This is one of those cases where buying a vintage, original kit is not only the best option, but the only option if you want a correct roof and side windows. was never there to begin with.

Edited by Casey

Bummer...!  I have the old Window van but it needs a lot and work...missing a few things.   I also have the camper van Mini motorhome but its missing all the overhead camper parts and camper interior parts to it..has a huge hole in the roof where they had cut it out...another bummer...I really like the camper one.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 27, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Casey said:

^This. Sadly, the correct ribbed roof seems to be long gone as well. This is one of those cases where buying a vintage, original kit is not only the best option, but the only option if you want a correct roof and side windows.

Any idea when it might come out. I would sure get one....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, Casey said:

^This. Sadly, the correct ribbed roof seems to be long gone as well. This is one of those cases where buying a vintage, original kit is not only the best option, but the only option if you want a correct roof and side windows.

The only issue with the ribbed roof was the AMT/Ertl A-Team GMC.  The earlier ones (including those with separate window/no window side panels) all have the smooth roof.  I put the ribs back on with Evergreen strip styrene, using an A-Team kit as a guide.

10 hours ago, Mark said:

The only issue with the ribbed roof was the AMT/Ertl A-Team GMC

Yes, I didn't realize that until after looking over the images of the earlier AMT Chevy van kits, so I will update my post. Still puzzled why AMT decided not to include the ribs. 

13 hours ago, Jim B said:

Mark, how difficult was it to re-rib the van roof?  I have the Rescue Van issue of this kit.  At least, I think it's the same kit.

s-l1000.jpg

Not tough at all...I used the A-Team van to match up some Evergreen strip styrene with the rib detail, and to figure out where they should go.  Establish a center line on the Chevy van roof, and measure outward to spot the placement of the ribs.  I also used some smaller strip stock to add a better defined rain gutter around the perimeter of the roof.  My van was the earlier Dirty Donny custom, but all of these are the same basic kit.  

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Not tough at all...I used the A-Team van to match up some Evergreen strip styrene with the rib detail, and to figure out where they should go.  Establish a center line on the Chevy van roof, and measure outward to spot the placement of the ribs.  I also used some smaller strip stock to add a better defined rain gutter around the perimeter of the roof.  My van was the earlier Dirty Donny custom, but all of these are the same basic kit.  

Interesting.  Do you have any WIP photos?  Did you have to cut the roof off?

No photos, it's pretty simple really.  It might be more difficult (not impossible) if you haven't got an A-Team kit to copy from.  I just went through my packages of strip stock and matched one up for width and thickness.  I took the van out and looked at it, looks like I used .020" x .040" for the roof ribs, and .020" square for the drip rail.  

There are six roof ribs, they are equally spaced 3/8" apart, on center (the center of the rib would be 3/8" from the center of the next one).  So you would first establish a line running lengthwise down the center of the roof.  Measure 3/16" out from the center line on each side, then 3/8" and 3/4" further out on each side to establish where the other ribs go.  Make sure these lines are parallel to each other and to the centerline.  I drew another line perpendicular to these, 3/8" in from the rear edge of the roof (not including the rain gutter).  That's where the ribs should end at the rear.  I let them overlap a bit, then trimmed all of them after installation to make sure they were even.  At the front, the outermost ribs end about 7/16" from where they would run into the end of the roof.  I can't tell you about the inner ones, as I used the sunroof (moved forward from the cut line provided) and that interrupts the inner ribs.  It's far enough forward that none of the ribs would be left forward of the sunroof where I put it. 

For the rain gutter, if I remember right I used one continuous piece of the smaller stock, and first attached just one end to the existing drip rail.  Make sure the part that is cemented down is on straight.  After the cement dried, I pulled it taut, then put a drop of liquid cement at the end furthest from the already glued end, and let it flow back to the already-glued area.  Once straight, I taped it down and let it dry.  I then repeated this until I ran out of strip to attach, as 12" won't get you all the way around the roof.  Let that dry, then cut the first strip clean at the end so you can butt the second one right up to it.  Then keep going until you get all the way around.  I can't remember where I started/finished, bit I definitely didn't join two pieces together at a corner.  I think I started somewhere over the sliding door area on the passenger side and worked forward, so I'd have that sliding door mechanism to help straighten out the strip at the last join.  Hope this helps...

• 2 months later...

I'm still hoping the NYPD decals are accurate for the era. I could use them on other projects. Because the box art doesn't accurately depict what an NYPD van would have looked like in the 1970's and 80's. And yes, I do realize that they just took the old box art and added the NYPD stuff.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:18 PM, av405 said:

I'm still hoping the NYPD decals are accurate for the era. I could use them on other projects. Because the box art doesn't accurately depict what an NYPD van would have looked like in the 1970's and 80's. And yes, I do realize that they just took the old box art and added the NYPD stuff.

Not sure there will be overlap or borrowing from the AMT NYC Auxiliary Services sheet and the Police Van, but there are some NYPD decals on it.

Edited by Casey