Model Cars Magazine Forum

You're welcome ..... at the Crossroads Coffee house

Eshaver

The title says it all ! This was the reincarnated Crossroads Coffee house that opened in Richmond Virginia in 1968 . This was actually an extension of then Richmond Professional Institute's campus Ministry . In 1969, RPI merged with the Medical College of Virginia and hence the current name , Virginia Commonwealth University. This school which once held classes in turn of the century homes has now torn down whole blocks of these homes and have replaced said structures with some questionable and modernistic structures . Meanwhile , many grand buildings have been spared . The 1894 Queen Anne residence located at 1205 West Franklin street was never in any danger . This is actually the final chapter as I was asked by a conglomerate of people in 2015 to do this building in 1-24th scale .

Currently , there are two events to see this building ! The first is October 20th , Saturday at the VFW Norfolk Virginia at the 26th annual Tidewater Automotive modelers show . Google TAMS , you should find details there .

The second is the Holidayfest of lights and miniatures show , part of the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens in Richmond Virginia . That show opens in the Laura Robbins Library and I'll be on hand November 23rd , opening night . That show runs to January 2019 .

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

1205 W Franklin the real deal.jpg

DSC_0019.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Jim, if yer coming East during the holidays , the Crossroads will be at Lewis Ginter Botanical gardens as a part of a doll house display in Richmond Va . If ya have a face book account . pictures of all the exhibit will be kept current at the art Forms design page

https://www.facebook.com/Art-Forms-Design-717064124996145/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I was invited to an event at an art Gallery in Washington DC this past Saturday , 3-30-2019. I chose to bring a new book I'm promoting as well as the model of the Crossroads Coffee house . Considering the crowd , I'd say the event was a rousing success and i look forward to returning with something different next year . I was interviewed by the Washington Blade magazine on building this by Molly Byron

Ellen-2019_Trans_Visibility_Festival_insert_2_c_Washington_Blade_by_Molly_Byrom.jpg

1 minute ago, gasser59 said:

That building sure has a ton of character and your scaled rendition of it is beautiful. What an undertaking. I can appreciate your patience and dedication. Great job E!

Brad , thank you ! I'm just disappointing that the church who currently owns this property still after two decades wants NOTHING to do with this buildings efforts . I've been in contact with Virginia Commonwealth university and they at least have an appreciation for having the model on a possible loan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Ellen,

I followed this thread and was amazed by all the details and the craftsmanship you put into your Crossroad Coffee House. When can we expect any update on this?

We're all sitting in front of the computer screen and waiting what'll be going on at the crossroad. 

What movie and book is hindering you to go on with coffee house?

Take care