Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius ' 61 Catalina Finished

smellyfatdude

Well, I probably shouldn't be starting any wip's, but I am commited to finishing this. Just 'cause I went out and bought this kit, simply to use the paint I found at Wal-Nuts. This is the only model I've purchased this year, and it was on the condition I get it done. Krylon satin Bright White over Rustoleum satin Seaside, and cleared with Tamiya TS-13. No factory color match, but I just knew when I saw this paint on the shelf that it belonged on this car. I was right. This is just a test fit to check the stance, and without the interior and firewall it's a perfect fit if you ask me. I removed the back bumper from the fin caps, so there'll be a natural looking seperation there, like on a 1:1. Also took off the mold lines on the front bumper, and used ultra bright bmf to recover the sides. I googled for pics of a factory stock interior, and managed to replicate it with a couple of Duplicolor and Rustoleum paints I already had in my stash. And as you can see, just your ordinary out-of-box Pontiac twin four under the hood. The full wheel covers and Firestone tires are from a ' 61 Bonneville kit.

DSCF7262.JPG

DSCF7264.JPG

DSCF7268.JPG

DSCF7278.JPG

DSCF7287.JPG

Edited by smellyfatdude

Good color choice, very much like the era when these cars came out. Your interior looks just like the photo. This is a great kit and I'm trying to get to another one this year. In addition to the window fitment the back of the headlights on the front grill want to bottom out on the radiator support.

21 minutes ago, espo said:

In addition to the window fitment the back of the headlights on the front grill want to bottom out on the radiator support.

Lots of trimming there already, too. It looks slightly off in the photos, but when I press the grill firmly in place, it sinks in all the way. So, during installation I plan to press firmly, along with some superglue. ;)

3 minutes ago, smellyfatdude said:

Lots of trimming there already, too. It looks slightly off in the photos, but when I press the grill firmly in place, it sinks in all the way. So, during installation I plan to press firmly, along with some superglue. ;)

I would suggest spending a lot of time fine tuning the grill installation before gluing. The fitment between the grill, hood, and rad. support is somewhat like a jigsaw puzzle. You fix one and then it doesn't want to line up with the others. I just now went over to relook at my '61 Ventura and the blankety blank grill fell out. This will give me a chance to try this again.

Thanks all for your interest in the Catalina. I added the foil to the hood, and stuck the pan in to the grill/bumper. You still see a slight gap in the picture, but when it's pressed firmly to where it's going to sit, everything lines up beautifully. The back edge of the hood, the trim, the gap between the pan and the hood are all a perfect fit. My goal now is to get that firewall done, then finish the interior. Going to have to hit the lhs tomorrow, for a few supplies. Yes, I will get this one done. :rolleyes:

DSCF7292.JPG

Thanks again, everyone. I did another test fit, after I finished detailing the firewall, and everything still lines up just as sweet as before. Hopefully the interior doesn't give me any grief, once it's in place. Also, got the grill washed. Time to pull it apart, finish off the engine bay, and get busy on the interior. ;)

DSCF7309.JPG