Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cummins v12

Hello guys.

Is there such a thing avaliable anywhere as the Cummins v12 engine?

Have only seen the Detroit,both in kit and resin,but never a Cummins.

The ideal engine would be late 60s early 70s as the VT-1710

(Pic only for fun.)

40219630_1892259147526759_2236450730145742848_n.png

Maybe try Cummins? I know CAT has scale engines like that. We use giant natural gas powered engines to build compressor stations where I work and the CAT guy always drops off a couple scale models of the different engines. Surprisingly highly detailed too. Finding a scale model of a vintage engine might be a little more difficult though. If you cant find a Cummins I bet you could make a CAT look like a pretty convincing Cummins with a little red paint and a few decals. The engines and scale models we have around the shop look VERY similar to the one you have pictured, but obviously they are painted CAT yellow. I know they sell the scale model engines to the public, they tend to be a little pricey though. Last time I looked they were going for about $100 or so depending on the model.

Edited by mphostetler2008

The Caterpillar scale engines are very nice,but as you said,expensive,and probably very heavy since they are made of metal.

If the Caterpillar came in v12 configuration i would maby consider,they all seem to be v16.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Now if i only could master CAD,it could be 3D printed.

Edited by om617

• 3 weeks later...

That Cat is called 3412.
It's possible to do a 3412 out of two 3408's, the 3408 have two cylinder heads and two rocker covers, one on each side covering four cylinders, the 3412 also has two cylinder heads, one per side but it has four rocker covers, two on each side for three cylinders each....so you can do it if you want to but you have to do some cutting and splicing.