Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2018

niteowl7710

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

Only because I got the Beemax Quattro with HB tobacco secret decals, and an Auto Union C with Swastika decals from Portugal, do I find this censorship thing interesting.

Carry on....

Tobacco and Alcohol sponsorships got yanked out of model kits in the early 1990s starting with AMT/Ertl's NASCAR kit when a Rusty Wallace Miller Beer car was mid-planning changed to "Pontiac Excitement" - a livery it never ran - because a bunch of do gooder busy bodies had put pressure on the kit manufacturers that seeing such things would cause teens and young adults to stop huffing paint and glue and go get a serious adult addiction. Revell got around it for a hot second at the end of their run of NASCAR kits (early 2000s) by branding the kits as "Adult Collectibles" and not allowing them to be sold by major chain stores or anywhere else those eeeeeeevil liveries might prey upon children.

For some reason only Martini and Jaegermiester have some how survived this prohibition, perhaps because the fame of "Martini Racing" supercedes the fact that Martini & Rossi is an alcoholic beverage company.

• 3 weeks later...

Since there is not a specifically new P/E set for the upcoming Celica, it appears that AutoColour (which is also under the direction of the owners of Beemax) will be offering the tobacco supplement in delightfully broken up means.

item_82824224AC24048A.jpg.d9b484383cd8a5041d6a83aeb1aeae0b.jpgitem_73239962AC24048B.jpg.2f72a2bcd473cb4bd28e5122e3fe61c4.jpg

The decals themselves as well as a kit with the supplement included are available for pre-order at HobbyEasy. AutoColour distribution outside of Hong Kong/Macau is rather hit or miss with them occasionally showing up on eBay, along with the odd vendor here and there.

Edited by niteowl7710

On 11/17/2018 at 1:42 AM, 89AKurt said:

Only because I got the Beemax Quattro with HB tobacco secret decals, and an Auto Union C with Swastika decals from Portugal, do I find this censorship thing interesting.

Tobacco advertising is illegal in many places, and the swastika is illegal in Germany.  Those decals simply cannot be placed in the kits

On 11/17/2018 at 3:10 AM, niteowl7710 said:

For some reason only Martini and Jaegermiester have some how survived this prohibition, perhaps because the fame of "Martini Racing" supercedes the fact that Martini & Rossi is an alcoholic beverage company.

Alcohol advertising is still legal.

2 hours ago, fumi said:

I know know the advertising still is, but here in MURICA in terms of our NASCAR model kits, the alcohol sponsorships were banished out before the the tobacco ones regardless as to the "1:1" sponsorships. Winston cigarettes sponsored NASCAR well into the 2000s, long after European bans in Rally & F1, etc.

Heck at this point the next target of the do gooders is to ban Energy drinks and supplements because you now have to be 18 to purchase them in most places. If they keep it the NASCAR Monster Energy Series little 9yr olds might guzzle 30 cans and blow up their poor wittle hearts or something. :blink:<_<

4 hours ago, fumi said:

Tobacco advertising is illegal in many places, and the swastika is illegal in Germany.  Those decals simply cannot be placed in the kits

Sorry, you are starting to sound like (insert Politically Incorrect WW2 German police force name here), "You vill comply!"  It's obvious evil tobacco and alcohol brands have been banned, thank you for pointing out the obvious.

What's next, ban restaurant and candy and Coke advertising, because that makes people who can't control themselves FAT?  Funny thing about this, people will still smoke, drink booze, and eat too much junk food, despite not watching racing!  What a concept.

I better stop, would be stupid to get banned for talking like this.  Perhaps software malware companies will have a chance to advertise now.

23 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Sorry, you are starting to sound like (insert Politically Incorrect WW2 German police force name here), "You vill comply!"

I think the model companies are smart enough to obey the laws of the countries they intend to sell their goods to and comply to the requirement to omit the tobacco markings, so you and I can get the kits sans the decal.

Do I care?  As long as I can get the kits and the missing decals from the aftermarket, I don't.  It's a fact of life, and I respect that some countries take a strong view against any form of tobacco advertisement.  Even when I never took a smoke as a result of all the car races I watched or the model kits I built with factory tobacco markings throughout my childhood.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:19 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Heck at this point the next target of the do gooders is to ban Energy drinks and supplements because you now have to be 18 to purchase them in most places. If they keep it the NASCAR Monster Energy Series little 9yr olds might guzzle 30 cans and blow up their poor wittle hearts or something. :blink:<_<

I am surprised it hasnt happened yet,  I think mainly why as those do gooders are the SJW's  are also drinking that urine in a can, they sure do have a lot of energy to go after things, but 2019 will be the last year for Monster as a title sponsor in NASCAR,  but I do believe the sponsor a few other things .