Model Cars Magazine Forum

Missing Link Ford Crew Cab

Anyone else building one of these? Used the basic 2wd suspension and added the new issue Bronco rims and tires. Will shave down the front 4x4 hub on front rims to represent 2wd. I like the beefy look of the tires and rims, gives it the "I'm ready to work" look. Nice resin piece but the roof will need a little work before final paint. Otherwise everything seems to fit like a glove and well worth the price!

truck 1.png

truck 2.png

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, leafsprings said:

Crew Cabs were special order trucks in the '67-'72 era, 6 1/2 ft beds were used on F 250, 8' beds were used on F 350, there were no F 100 crew cabs manufactured by Ford.

Correct, I chose to put it on this chassis to build it the way I would if I owned the real truck. If you were building a replica stock you would need to modify the running gear.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, oldr-n-drt said:

where are the roof rails at?? ford used them to keep roof from caving in..all 4-door ford has them...oldr-n-drt

Not sure where you are getting your info from. The ford trucks of this year did not have ribbed roofs.

21105676_1580169755374773_1787452100798251573_n.jpg

21151652_1580168998708182_2517526192739926709_n.jpg

Edited by Finks Garage

• 3 weeks later...

Been making slow but steady progress on the truck. I changed out the tires and wheels to something a little less aggressive. I will put the Ford hubcaps on these once painted and weathered properly. I didn't want a beat up truck just one that has served it use and still being used. I still need to put a flat coat on it and final dust and subtle weathering when it is assembled. Next on to the interior....

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

11 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Nice progress, really liking this project. I like the subtle weathering and wheel choice.

It has me thinking about getting one of these cabs and the soon to be released F250 4wd conversion kit from Fireball and making a custom 4x4.

Mike, Thanks, the cab kit is really cool! I was going to wait for the conversion as well but really wanted to jump into this. I may get the conversion and use it on the kit I robbed parts from the build this and do a flat bed to match this one.

17 hours ago, Finks Garage said:

Has anyone made a photo etch kit for this model yet? I think the hood emblems are a little "fat/thick" looking for this. Also a grill and hood FORD letters would look scale correct in photo etch.

Thanks
Larry

yes they have. model car garage #2297 1967-1972 ford F-100 pickup detail set. very nice set.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it doesn't look like much has advanced but I got the interior assembled and the wheels base coat of weathering on. Now I have to detail the interior with the proper amount of items that would be in a work truck. Ill keep pushing forward. This really is a neat one to build!

Thanks for looking.

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

• 3 weeks later...