Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tom Mcewen 72 Hot wheels dragster updated 9/22

My latest project I decided to put the Piranha funny car on hold as I want to add alot of detail to it and want to get a few more simple builds done first and after seeing the build of between Clay John and Chris I decided to build this. So far I have cleaned up the chassis and glued the engine block and heads together and striped all the chrome thanks for looking 

IMG_20180829_194704.jpg

Edited by jasoncamaro

I've got a bit of an update I have pretty much got the engine all done and the spark plug leads done the magneto is from Morgan Automotive Detail. The gold on the blower and injector hat is Tamiya clear yellow over alclad polished aluminium. I have also been working on the chassis and wing I've started to modify the wing struts bracing  to resemble the actual car and I'm going to cut the push bar off the chassis thanks for looking. 

IMG_20180922_190556.jpg

IMG_20180922_190610.jpg

IMG_20180922_190735.jpg

On 8/29/2018 at 4:10 AM, jasoncamaro said:

My latest project I decided to put the Piranha funny car on hold as I want to add alot of detail to it and want to get a few more simple builds done first and after seeing the build of between Clay John and Chris I decided to build this. So far I have cleaned up the chassis and glued the engine block and heads together and striped all the chrome thanks for looking 

IMG_20180829_194704.jpg

Jason,

Very nice job thus far. I have this kit along with the Don Prudhomme "Yellow Feather" kit that are on my to do list. A couple of quick questions if I may. Are you using the kit supplied tires or aftermarket? The fronts leave a lot to be desired and am attempting to source them aftermarket. The rears may be as changed well but unsure at this point. Also what brand blue did you use for this project? Thanks and looking forward to your progress on the kit.

1 hour ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Jason,

Very nice job thus far. I have this kit along with the Don Prudhomme "Yellow Feather" kit that are on my to do list. A couple of quick questions if I may. Are you using the kit supplied tires or aftermarket? The fronts leave a lot to be desired and am attempting to source them aftermarket. The rears may be as changed well but unsure at this point. Also what brand blue did you use for this project? Thanks and looking forward to your progress on the kit.

I'm going to use the supplied tyres I don't think the fronts will look to bad when painted in Tamiya's rubber black paint and I think I will try and copy what Clay Kemp did with his slicks if you have a look at the thread that Clay, Chris and John are building all three versions of this kit . 

I haven't not decided what blue to use yet a was going to decant Tamiya spray can but I have seen that house of kolor tru blue pearl is ment to be a good match and I have some that. Hope this helps you 

Edited by jasoncamaro

Hi Guys another small update. After deciding that the body around the cockpit didn't resemble the actual car I attempted to modify the body but I decided that it was far to much work so I decided to cut up the body and combine it with another Mongoose kit that I have in my stash anyway here's my photos

IMG_20180930_191914.jpg

IMG_20180930_194811.jpg

IMG_20180930_195820.jpg

15382944684147438544207292733118.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:18 AM, jasoncamaro said:

I've got a bit of an update I have pretty much got the engine all done and the spark plug leads done the magneto is from Morgan Automotive Detail. The gold on the blower and injector hat is Tamiya clear yellow over alclad polished aluminium. I have also been working on the chassis and wing I've started to modify the wing struts bracing  to resemble the actual car and I'm going to cut the push bar off the chassis thanks for looking. 

IMG_20180922_190556.jpg

IMG_20180922_190610.jpg

IMG_20180922_190735.jpg

Beautiful engine work.  Heres mine

McEwen rail8.jpg

McEwen rail3.jpg

McEwen rail6.jpg