Model Cars Magazine Forum

Details of Singer And Williams' Reworked Porsche 911

Lose Yourself in the Details of Singer And Williams' Reworked Porsche 911

There was no shortage of awesome and incredible things at this year’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, but, as always, anything that has been touched by Singer Vehicle Design is in a class of its own. Singer and racing firm Williams brought a special treat in the form of the Dynamic and Lightweighting Study, another reworked Porsche 911 that I haven’t been able to get out of my head since I saw it Sunday morning.

m113nfj9bntahjvtxyts.jpg

To refresh your memory, the Singer DLS uses the new, 4.0-liter, naturally aspirated, 500-horsepower flat-six designed by Williams in a body that has been designed with only lightness in mind and has a bespoke six-speed manual transmission. And it’s even more special than other Singer restorations, if you can believe it.

Nearly everything is carbon fiber. You can see it peeking out in the door sills, woven through the seats and in the hood and engine lid. Instead of the quilted leather found in the engine bay of other Singer vehicles, the DLS simply sports more carbon fiber. Other features include single-piece, forged wheels and custom Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s.

jbm5aq8q9kkfkulb257f.jpg

On the outside, there are subtle additions as well. Near the top of the rear window is a roof scoop, which perfectly directs air squarely into the ducktail spoiler. Apparently, the original 964 911s didn’t always catch the air coming off the roof into their spoilers, so Singer created a special channel to ensure it, a company spokesperson informed me.

p43noftarl3uyh8n9gi4.jpg

And to help that wonderful new engine breathe more easily, air vents and ducts are cut into the car’s rear windows. The carbon fiber tubing actually invades the cabin and feeds into the engine compartment.

Though covered in buttery leather, the seats are solid carbon fiber, with holes in the headrests to reduce weight. Extra bracing for stiffness runs across the middle of the cabin, up the A-pillars and on the doors themselves, which have roll-down windows.

h5befwuzsqdnkgoleeqz.jpg

The dash sports genuine gold accents and the exposed gearshift linkage will delight people like me who love watching things work. The carbon fiber shifter, which features a balsa wood accent as a nod to the shifters from the Porsche 917 race cars from the 1970s, also has a hole in it for lightness.

All told, the car weighs about 2,100 pounds, the Singer spokesperson said. Though the version I saw at Pebble was just a concept, pricing will come to about $1.8 million. Plus the cost of providing the doner car. Singer will only make 75 of them.

obmtjk1wrqy1zaibyyfq.jpg

It’s a truly absurd amount of money. The day was packed and there was lots to do, but I felt like I could have spent hours looking at that car and not get tired of it. I would just keep seeing new details to appreciate, notice features that I somehow missed before.

Driving it is but only a fraction of what the DLS is truly about. I’d strongly consider giving up a vital organ to have one of these.

vho0rkcdbckhgqtsjyfa.jpg

hp5zdd4uvhvs2kanxnjn.jpgdeoabjezrqpss7auhfxj.jpgrbp2n5wdcba69gpka9ih.jpgk05fz296nycgkdggtz5m.jpgtc4viyzlotb9v5kelatz.jpguzki26axxedizl0jzgz6.jpgccbwvrybhej6hf8ancgu.jpgsucbtzvfvjcvdsimcuju.jpgy2qkoofsxflpoaudqlao.jpg

Read more: http://race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/1053/singer-williams-porsche-911-lightweight#ixzz5PaAchX5v

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

That's wicked!  The craftsmanship is awesome.  Better be, for $1.8M.  Does the white microfiber towel come with it?

Not sure about the towel but you have to provide a 964 donor in addition to the $1.8M!

Two things: It will be darn inconvenient to refuel at a gas station with that centrally placed fuel cap-bring lots of towels to keep the fuel hose from marring the paint. WAIT!- Maybe for your $1.8 million they give you a load of those micro fiber towels( they aren't good for drying anything anyway). And why is the marking for the wiper/ washer on the side of the switch where it can't normally be viewed from the driver's seat? Everything might be important but that doesn't mean that everything came out well. But, hey, what can you expect for only $1.8 million? Perfection?