Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Ford Galaxie 500

DEL

Nice work! I love the '71-'72 bodies. Will this be eventually poured in resin like the others?

Don't worry over unsolicited comments about your workbench photos. They're fine as they are. It's not like people contributing their work here are paid entertainers. 

13 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Nice work! I love the '71-'72 bodies. Will this be eventually poured in resin like the others?

Don't worry over unsolicited comments about your workbench photos. They're fine as they are. It's not like people contributing their work here are paid entertainers. 

Nailed it with a single stroke.

How did you make those spears!

Ive had this same conversion in mind for quite a while, but I couldn't figure out how to easily make those spears. I planned on using the 69 Galaxie hood for the beak and I bought some photoetched roofwalk from a train shop to use for the grille. Also thought about using 73 Cougar headlights and grill collar for the front. Haven't figured out the rear bumper and details yet, so I will be watching to see how you do it.

I can't wait to see how this all comes out. After seeing your Nova build, I know this will be good!

17 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I'll be watching this.... Here are a few pics of Custom for reference.

Gators car was a Custom 500, not a Galaxie.

Well, till I can find a way to make Custom 500 scripts Gator's car will be a Galaxy.  Consider it the alternate universe version where Gator has a wicked beard and goatee and has no compunctions about wasting superiors for advancement. ;)

And I WILL use your pics for reference material.  I always get as many shots from different angles as possible to compare while building.  Nice car you have there!

BigTallDad said:

Looking good so far.

As a minor suggestion, when posting pics of the WIP, use a less-cluttered background.

Thank you.  Apologies for the messy work situation. My professional photo studio is being painted while my staff photographer is on vaca. :P

17 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Nailed it with a single stroke.

Thank you Mr. Z, Mr Wrench! and yes, it will be done in resin and offered as I hope all my other 4dr builds will be.

OldCarFan Said:

How did you make those spears!

I've had this same conversion in mind for quite a while, but I couldn't figure out how to easily make those spears. I planned on using the 69 Galaxie hood for the beak and I bought some photoetched roofwalk from a train shop to use for the grille. Also thought about using 73 Cougar headlights and grill collar for the front. Haven't figured out the rear bumper and details yet, so I will be watching to see how you do it.

I can't wait to see how this all comes out. After seeing your Nova build, I know this will be good!                                          

Thank you, sir, I should have taken a couple of pics of my process for the spears but if you look at the bodyside molding of the donor kit it more or less travels about right where the spears are supposed to be.  I used that as a level and scribed in a line to make a 'hold line' for two pieces of .10x.10 Evergreen strip to be glued in there.  Take time to make sure the strip stands out from the side of the car as close as possible to a laying down "L". After it dries take your preferred putty and start building up the above and below the swell of the spears. Sand/shape the spears till they taper at each end as much as possible as you can see from reference pics/materials.  A good work-light from above will help you with this as it shines down by casting the spear shadow shape downward.  Make it like the pics!

I apologize for the lack of detail pics. I try to remind myself to do that but I am about 60/40 on it. Sometimes I get a good halfway and realize I forgot to do any pics at all.  A lot of detail building lost..

I think I get it. I did something very similar on a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger conversion awhile back.

I needed the 2 long peaks on the flat hood, so I scribed a groove on each side of the hood to hold a small, vertical, strip of plastic . I filed it into the curved shape, like your spears, and smoothed putty on either side to make the final shape. Minor sanding to finish and it was done.

Sound about right?

On 9/1/2018 at 10:13 AM, montelsc said:

Nice work del 

do you already have frt and rear bumpers ???

Thank you!  And no, I do not have bumpers yet. I will have to scratchbuild them.

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Any progress on this one?

On the trunk sail panel area.  Doing some detail work. Pics below!

4 hours ago, El Caballo said:

The cop version can fly.

ALL my conversions can too.. :P

9 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I like it, as an FYI, you need any close up pics of anything, my 71 is in the driveway....

Thanks, Andy, and I will keep that in mind.

Having the 1:1 car in the driveway is best for an actual reference.  Barring that, knowing someone who has one and can get you pics and measurements is the next best thing.  In truth, I may take you up on that shortly.

Thank you!

Look like you’re making good progress. Here’s a few pics of my Gator Custom 500 that I did using the amt police interceptor with a missing link resin kit. I used testors one coat root beer for the color. I know the real car didn’t have the 4 speed, but I couldn’t resist putting it in, along with the shotgun on the front seat! It’s no contest car, but it filled a void in my model movie car collection. Good luck. Any questions LMK.

DC3A79F1-EB36-4DDF-A129-B7DC8F8CD24B.jpeg

1863F0FC-A0B1-4780-9A13-3D60E7B89D34.jpeg

CA44F33D-C2EE-4DB0-95D7-7F1D56025B9B.jpeg

AA1F838C-FA58-46A8-A2C9-B49436881586.jpeg

Yeah, I'm a little bummed out today myself because the Gator/Bandit is gone..

But you did a beautiful job with that one Steve.  I just so happened saw a clip this morning of that epic chase in White Lightning where he ditches the ASP  unit and I have to say yours looks just like.  Right down to the white letter tires!

Smokey & the Bandit came out in 1977 when I was just 17, but I already knew I wanted to be a cop.  The movie was pure fiction of course but it looked like even the cops were having fun in that one. Sooo... I tried a Bandit (or cop move) on a nice sandy country road that winter. (a half a "U"!!) I did nutstuff like this back then from time to time. Even had a cheapo 110 camera to document it.  A wonder I didn't turn the car, my second one a 75 LTD, over.  After I busted a few tires and the cost began to ding my wallet I knocked it off not long after.. Anyway, results of the Gator/Bandit MovIe Onscreen Driving School, circa 1977 (PS notice the 'on-purpose' missing hubcaps a-la Gator):

my attempt at a S&B 'half a U' turn, with Keith aboard. - Tank Trl.. Rd, Nov. 1977 (2).jpg

my attempt at a S&B 'half a U' turn, with Keith aboard. - Tank Trl.. Rd, Nov. 1977 (3).jpg

my attempt at a S&B 'half a U' turn, with Keith aboard. - Tank Trl.. Rd, Nov. 1977 (5).jpg

my attempt at a S&B 'half a U' turn, with Keith aboard. - Tank Trl.. Rd, Nov. 1977 (7).jpg

my attempt at a S&B 'half a U' turn, with Keith aboard. - Tank Trl.. Rd, Nov. 1977- LEAVING!! (8).jpg