Model Cars Magazine Forum

JO-HAN Maverick kits

fomocomav

• 3 months later...
On 9/2/2018 at 1:22 PM, afx said:

Did a bit more cleanup on the stock Comet body and misted on some primer so the trim is more obvious.

DSCN5684

The trim is hard to miss, but the primer definitely makes it more visible. :)

FWIW, I don't think Okay Spalding has possession of any of the former JO-HAN kits run by Testors in the '90s. IIRC, it was mentioned somewhere that they were more related to or associated with the items J. Lloyd owned, but that Round2 didn't acquire them when they acquired the Lindberg/Hawk tooling from J. Lloyd. Not sure where the molds for the '71 'cuda, Comet Pro Stock, AMX, and '70 Olds 442 are now, but I would never consider them gone for good.

TestorsComet1.jpg

I had the Maverick kit when I was a teen.  I bought it because I wanted the 427 SOHC for another project, and I built the Maverick as a curbside.  No idea what happened to it, or most of my other models from back then.   Wish I had held onto it.  

Does the comet have the parts to build a SOHC, or is solely the Boss 429?

Edited by JJ Deuce

On 8/31/2018 at 11:17 AM, fomocomav said:

I forgot about that one.  But thinking back on it, I think I remember, I could be wrong, that the Fury and the Rambler wagon were cobbled together out of parts already produced, and that new decal sheets, and SOME custom wheel covers for the Rambler were made to go into the kits.  Along with new boxes, of course.  I do not remember if the Turbine car was also cobbled together from existing overrun/unsold parts or not.  This was all a long time ago that I talked to Okey and got the info from his website.  I DO remember him saying quite a bit of tooling was missing, and had been slowly "misplaced" since the original company had started having financial troubles.  Now, the workers that might have ended up with the tooling may still have them, or they may have been turned into Buicks by now.  Who knows.  My thought is that most of the former glory that was Jo-Han is never going to come back.  As to what showed up at the shows by Moebius, I cannot say.  If the '59 Dodge DID, is it still missing the interior?

The tooling inserts were made from Beryllium-Copper alloy. Beryllium is a semi-precious metal and has considerable scrap value. No Buicks were made from them, but they certainly were melted down....

5 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

I had the Maverick kit when I was a teen.  I bought it because I wanted the 427 SOHC for another project, and I built the Maverick as a curbside.  No idea what happened to it, or most of my other models from back then.   Wish I had held onto it.  

Does the comet have the parts to build a SOHC, or is solely the Boss 429?

I bought a Maverick and a Comet in the '80s. The Maverick didn't have the 427 SOHC at that time, only the 429, but the Comet still had the SOHC, so I borrowed it from that. Dunno what was in the last-issue Comets. And I have no idea why the Comet remained available for another decade while the Maverick disappeared. :wacko:

32 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I bought a Maverick and a Comet in the '80s. The Maverick didn't have the 427 SOHC at that time, only the 429, but the Comet still had the SOHC, so I borrowed it from that. Dunno what was in the last-issue Comets. And I have no idea why the Comet remained available for another decade while the Maverick disappeared. :wacko:

The Maverick tool inserts probably disappeared.  Seville announced a "pro street" issue of the Maverick, but it was never released.