Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '59 El Camino-Now Under Glass-11/21

mustang1989

3 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Riley! Man I really appreciate the photos. Some of those close ups give me a little better glimpse of the chrome trim on that car...…………..and there looks to be ALOT of it.

There is a whole lot of it. I know dad had the car for quite some time while the owner was getting the chrome refinished. 

I did things a little backwards on this build. I'm still waiting on some parts and trying to figure out how I'm going to do the interior so I decided to lay down the initial color coat after ALOT of body work. Got rid of the molded El Camino emblems on the side of the body. Will try to find a set of cals or PE to replace them with.

Here goes:

An idea on the interior. See if you have any of the Revelle '59 or '60 Impala kits, they have decals for the cloth inserts on the seats and door panels. As I recall they even have two or three different color also. This will give the El Camino and Impala interior. 

I'm in the middle of building this one as well.  My biggest complaint is mine is adorned with a ton of flashing.  I've decided to do it stock and went with Scalefinishes paint, my first time using it.  I spent an inordinate amount of time masking it off to do a Roman Red and Snowcrest white two tone paint job to mimic stock.  After painting the white - I went mask off the red and the white came right off.  Now - I didn't use their primer - but I hardly ever use primer especially with two tones because of the paint build up and masking.

Here's the inspiration for my build.  Unfortunately the supposed "stock" color is much creamier and not as bright as this white.  Not sure on the red yet either.

Chevrolet-El-Camino-1959.jpg

Thanks fellas for the comments and pictures. I've been workin' away on this one for the last couple of weeks but haven't posted any progress. I'll see if I can get some of that done tomorrow.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, gearhedjon said:

Just looked at my 60 impala pe set from Model house it has El Camino scripts

Thanks John. I've already got that one. The decals though.....

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, alexis said:

You and your young client have great taste! That Maroon Elky with the Baby Moons and W/Whites is very sharp. Your in-progress shots show very detailed work as well. I'll be watching.

Thanks Alan!

Man what a flip flop of ideas I've had with this build. I had John here on this forum in offer up a Revell 348 in previous posts on this thread which beats the OOB AMT offering all to HECK!

I'm most of the way finished with the 348 engine build as of this morning and still need to touch up a couple of areas thanks to the Macro Shots.

Progress...…………...FINALLY!!

I converted the oil filter from the cannister type to a spin on so I could use a decal and spruce things up a little more. :whistle:

I also added a fuel line and the oil filler tube and cap and pinned the oil filler onto the manifold to keep it from falling off on down the road and touched up that area with the missing paint.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, afx said:

Nice looking engine Joe.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, slusher said:

Awesome looking Engine Joe!

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, Rider said:

Some more good progress. Digging the engine. 

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the great comments.

Completed the engine this morning.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, Tom Louis said:

That looks great!

Thanks Tom. Sorry for the late response.

OK guys. Interior is finished. There were several things that I didn't like about this kit in regards to the interior. First off, the ejector pin marks were at the worst possible places. One on each side of the seat bottom???? What tha heck? I managed to cover one of them with the magazine and the other I sanded as far as I dared and still not sacrifice the texture on the seat. Then there were two ugly marks on the flooring which got covered up by the floor mats. Secondly, AMT produced the interior in the boring base model interior. Had to get a little creative with the seat to jog things up a bit color wise. Lastly, the shifter looked like something from a school bus so that QUICKLY got changed out for something a little more sporty by way of scratchbuildinig. The goodies used were more of a distractive measure to make up for and enhance the mediocre interior. All in all I'm fairly pleased with the outcome. Although not my best interior and aside from some minor inaccuracies, I think I made more out of what I had to work with.

I've really tried to get this kid involved and knew I was taking a chance by not having him build it along side of me but he lives a ways from me so I figured I'd try to captivate some interest by way of detailed instruction and photos via text messaging. I've gotten the occasional posts that'll say "Cool" but most of the time I get nothing at all. I still send him progress as I've done all along but I think he just wanted me to build it for him and that's ok I guess. Was just hoping to spark some interest is all. In the mean time I'm having fun with the build.

Nice save on the interior. You mention the shifter, and it does look a little agricultural in nature, but if you ever see the factory "Spaghetti"  shifter you might like this one better. The base interior in the kit may just be more accurate than you think. I have no knowledge of the El Camino being factory built as an Impala. May have happened, but I have just never seen one back then. The only ones I have seen were modified by adding the exterior and of course the Impala interior. I like how you did the fabric portions of the seat. The body colored dash gives a custom look to the interior as well.