Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '59 El Camino-Now Under Glass-11/21

mustang1989

I got my first 59 ElCamino kit in 1964 after the 1958 Impala kit, both blue plastic. Lost them in the 60s. Then I got the above Street Rods version in 1975, whit plastic but still a great kit. I painted 2 tone white/red.

It's amazing that this kit was created in 1964 and still holds it's place among newer computerized generated kits.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, slusher said:

Looks really awesome Joe..

Thanks Carl.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, espo said:

Nice save on the interior. You mention the shifter, and it does look a little agricultural in nature, but if you ever see the factory "Spaghetti"  shifter you might like this one better. The base interior in the kit may just be more accurate than you think. I have no knowledge of the El Camino being factory built as an Impala. May have happened, but I have just never seen one back then. The only ones I have seen were modified by adding the exterior and of course the Impala interior. I like how you did the fabric portions of the seat. The body colored dash gives a custom look to the interior as well. 

I appreciate the comments Dave. I hear what you're sayin'  about the interior. I've done some research on these cars and have come up with the same thing.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, Bob Ellis said:

I got my first 59 ElCamino kit in 1964 after the 1958 Impala kit, both blue plastic. Lost them in the 60s. Then I got the above Street Rods version in 1975, whit plastic but still a great kit. I painted 2 tone white/red.

It's amazing that this kit was created in 1964 and still holds it's place among newer computerized generated kits.

I agree Bob. There's a few things I don't like about this kit but so far it is going together fairly well.

Regardless of my lack of posting in the last couple of weeks, I have been able to hit the bench. With my son in football and in agriculture in school (he's raising a pig) we've all got some really busy nights. We don't plan anything right now outside of the pig and football. I would post more during the week at night but I'd be a babbling idiot due to being so tired.

In regards to the bench, I have spent the better part of a friggin' WEEK applying bare metal foil to all the chrome trim that is on this car. I never in a million years EVER realized there was so much dang chrome on these things. Boy did I ever get a rude awakening! I've still got more chrome to install on this car in the way of bumpers, headlights/ bezels, turn signal bezels, tail lights and the like.
I had to sand about 3/16" off the bottom of the window/ glass assy because the interior tub wasn't fitting into the interior cavity fully causing a large gap between the top of the door opening and the interior door panels. Crazy. facepalm_zpsgaclnqrj.gif
After that I managed to get the body installed onto the rolling chassis and I'm VERY happy with that result. It was exactly the look I was hoping for.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank all of you who either took the time to drop in on this build or commented and a very special thanks to gearhedjohn, gramps46 and wrecker388 for their contribution to this car. This build has been moved to the "Under Glass" Section.

Edited by mustang1989