Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 Camaro (Replica)

Scale-Master

This is a replica of my real car with all the visible features that make it unique.  I bought it 35 years ago this month, but it didn't look like this back then; this is how it looks currently.

It is a '73 Rally Sport with a healthy '70 Camaro engine I put in it.  It has the original LT-1 manifold and a Holley 750.  It also has aluminum heads and cast valve covers.  I put a 700R4 transmission from an IROC in it back in '86 and a C4 Corvette monoleaf front suspension in it in '88.  Oversized sway bars, sub-frame connectors and custom made traction bars are just like on the real car too. The interior is appointed exactly like the big one down to the driver's seat & harnesses, Wink mirror and fire extinguisher and "modernized" to '73 factory passenger seats (with patterned velour), and console (with Hurst shifter and graphic equalizer).  Floor mats and Auto Meter gauges were made to match as well. 

The paint is the same GS Admiral Blue (toned by undercoat to look more correct in scale) and the stripes are decals I made to match.  The wheels have the proper offset and knock offs.

2huPVyp.jpg

Ne3TsRB.jpg

3DdfynD.jpg

Q25bmNP.jpg

C9uhs1p.jpg

MqK7mt5.jpg

pVIHfzu.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The tires are old Tamiya items, (not sure what kit they came from).  They were Michelin TRXs, but the tread was more like second generation BFG Radial T/As, which I had on it at one time.  So I sanded the Michelin lettering off the sidewalls.  They were the only tires I could find with the right sizes for this project.

Here's the real car.

DSC05409.jpg

MVC-336F.jpg