Model Cars Magazine Forum

Small Resin Companies and Copyrights

I know some of the small resin casting companies sell bodies labeled “1972 Ford XXX” or “1953 Chevy XXX”.

do they need permission from Ford or Chevy to use the name Ford or Chevy when advertising the model or is it they are just small enough no one cares ?

Edited by jaxenro

Better to aks forgiveness than permission. Back when I was doing licensing deals in NASCAR and I went to a big beer company....that is what I was told.  We could do the beer sponsored car.....but the beer company could not give us permission in case it went ugly. They could claim they didn't know....and issue a CaD order. 

• 4 weeks later...

Past experience has taught me that you can copy the logo as long as you do not sell it. If it is for personal use, even a few friends, you are okay. If you sell it, Ebay, shows, internet site, you are liable to get a notice from the copyright holder or their law firm. Several years ago, a friend made decals for a Nascar team and sold a few to friends. He received a 'Cease and Desist' order. He sent a letter apologizing and explained that he was only making a few sheets and that he sold them just to recover costs. He received a letter back telling him that was okay but not to do it again. He stopped making decals. 

If you are going to use some company or someone else's name or logo or design, be prepared, just in case. That includes making a model car or parts, decals, nameplates, etc., even using photographs that have a copyright logo on them. 

Trademark holders have made it too expensive and complicated for small companies to navigate the system to get a license. A guy I used to work with started out reproducing old kit parts. He started making copies of copyrighted movie and tv props and sells them on eBay and at conventions. He's been doing it for about 30 years and hasn't gotten caught, but it always makes me nervous for him.