Model Cars Magazine Forum
Mkulp19

Consider starting a new pay it forward?

I was wondering if anyone would consider (if it’s allowed) starting up a new pay it forward? I think it’s a great way to get something I haven’t thought about doing. I was bummed out when they closed the last one.

I don't know if it is worth the effort.  The last one started pretty well, but people began complaining and more and more rules were added.  One of the biggest complaints was: too many of the same people are doing all the trading, so there was a rule limiting the number of trades or amount of time between trades.  Of course what eventually killed the idea was kit trade equality - a person took a fairly nice kit and offered cheap  kits in trade, or the person was shamed into offering other kits, which some did not have sufficient stashes to choose from.  For what it's worth: Some people would complain if they were hung with a gold rope (my grandma's favorite saying).

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

For what it's worth: Some people would complain if they were hung with a gold rope (my grandma's favorite saying).

:lol:       I had an uncle.....who always said...." they would complain if their ice cream was cold"

1 hour ago, Mkulp19 said:

I think it’s a great way to get something I haven’t thought about doing

Hey Mike. ...I got about 50 or so $20 dollar kits.....PM me your list of trades & wants and lets see what we can do.

As noted biggest issue was trade value. One thing that might help is whoever has current trade up approve of next persons trade. Just a thought.

It was fun but the many points here are valid. I choose individuals to help me with the past two that I had faith in. I think they did an excellent job moderating. If another one was started, it needs some mechanism that a claimed item isn't shipped until the next item is claimed. That may keep the quality up. A problem is what one person thought was fair, others didn't.

Having only a few participate is also a problem. The first pif I did it broke down into the same six traders trading among themselves. I instituted a black out for traders to give others more opportunity. Some liked that while others didn't.

Its a nifty concept. I enjoyed the two I ran. I ended both of those due to problems I either did not anticipate or could not prevent.

If you go for it, try to focus on fun and not getting a rare unobtainable kit.

I don’t really care about rarity, I would just see some kits that I haven’t thought about doing, but do to not logging on often i’d Miss out and just buy them else where. Your right though, it seems more trouble then it’s worth.

3 hours ago, iBorg said:

It was fun but the many points here are valid. I choose individuals to help me with the past two that I had faith in. I think they did an excellent job moderating. If another one was started, it needs some mechanism that a claimed item isn't shipped until the next item is claimed. That may keep the quality up. A problem is what one person thought was fair, others didn't.

Having only a few participate is also a problem. The first pif I did it broke down into the same six traders trading among themselves. I instituted a black out for traders to give others more opportunity. Some liked that while others didn't.

Its a nifty concept. I enjoyed the two I ran. I ended both of those due to problems I either did not anticipate or could not prevent.

If you go for it, try to focus on fun and not getting a rare unobtainable kit.

I don’t really care about rarity, I would just see some kits that I haven’t thought about doing, but do to not logging on often i’d Miss out and just buy them else where. Your right though, it seems more trouble then it’s worth.

If everyone plays nice, its no trouble at all. The real problem is people without a large kit stash taking an interesting kit and then offering a very common kit and saying that's all they got and upsetting the apple cart.

8 hours ago, Mkulp19 said:

, but do to not logging on often 

There's the other catch-- you need to log on daily in order to keep up with what's happening. Some people reply they 'want' the last kit posted, then don't reply for a few days (if ever), leaving everyone else waiting for them. This is exactly why the Trading Post works better for trading.

I think the biggest issue for me was the lack of variety. We all have kits we're willing to trade. The problem was, after a while, the PIF thread was just about only those same kits. So it kind of stagnated.

Another concern is the perception of value. What one person feels is a fair trade, another person may not.

Yet another concern was shipping. A lot of people would claim a kit, offer up their trade options, then throw in the "will only ship to continental US" caveat. That knocks a lot of people out of the opportunity to participate

As far as missing out on a trade, well, much like EBay, or going in to a brick and mortar store,  that's just how it is. Sometimes you catch the deal, sometimes you just miss it. It's the same with any other trade thread here.

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

If everyone plays nice, its no trouble at all. The real problem is people without a large kit stash taking an interesting kit and then offering a very common kit and saying that's all they got and upsetting the apple cart.

And thats the big problem. Its suppose to promote good will. However having to create all sorts of rules to make it work defeats the purpose.  Unfortunately it was a great idea but as always the few can ruin it for the many.

First time round there was shaming cuz the kits being offered near the end weren't rare enough, then it was I can buy that on eBay for x amount so put up something else... Goodwill to your fellow modelers doesn't mean gimme your vintage Johan... I wouldn't bother. I wouldn't participate in another one.

19 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I miss it. The Trading Post is kind of dull without it.

X2

11 hours ago, KWT said:

First time round there was shaming cuz the kits being offered near the end weren't rare enough, then it was I can buy that on eBay for x amount so put up something else... Goodwill to your fellow modelers doesn't mean gimme your vintage Johan... I wouldn't bother. I wouldn't participate in another one.

I saw that happening too, it had gotten to become childish listening to the whiners and bellyachers. I like seeing the cool stuff come up, but I won't participate because I wouldn't want to be maligned if my offerings weren't up to someone else's standards.

I rather like dealing one on one, it seems most of my trades have been accepted positively that way.

My biggest issue was the confusion caused by folks offering a kit while a kit was still on the table. Second was the same selection of kits that almost everyone else had and third was the rare kit syndrome. If someone offered a rare kit they expected the person claiming it to offer an equal kit. Well, that is nor really going to happen. And lastly, when offers where accepted on built ups, glue bombs and not model car related items is when I threw in the towel. 

Whew! Feel better 

I don't think kits offered up after a claim necessarily need to be of equal value, but I do think there needs to be some degree of equality. Before, when someone would claim a very desirable kit and offer something not so desirable in return, it would cause the thread to bog down for days in addition to leading to bad feelings and the belief that some people were taking advantage of the system and using the PIF thread to unload kits that neither they nor anyone else wanted.

I honestly don't know of a foolproof way to police that, honestly, and that's one of the reasons I'm not sure reviving PIF would be a great idea. 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:45 PM, TarheelRick said:

For what it's worth: Some people would complain if they were hung with a gold rope (my grandma's favorite saying).

On 8/31/2018 at 9:56 PM, Khils said:

I had an uncle.....who always said...." they would complain if their ice cream was cold"

My grandmother used to say "you kids would complain if you were first on the bread line!"    of course that depression era reference was lost on us 1960s kids.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:56 AM, iBorg said:

That was exactly the issue with the PIF thread.  I enjoyed watching it, but when someone got a brand new Revell Bronco and then offered up the Batman boat I got a little miffed.  It's really hard to keep a PIF thread on the up and up because frankly, some people are just going to eventually mess it up by offering junk.

And there's the problem. There are people here that like those kinds of oddball kits, and there are those that thing they're worthless. 

Kit values are totally subjective, and I think for the most part, there will always be a complaint from someone on any kit posted. We'd never get 100% concensus. That's a curbside, that's too common, there's no box, it's been started, the kit quality is junk, I can buy that at Michaels, etc, etc.

Not sure what the solution would be. 

Also, I'm not sure why the lack of a PIF thread would prevent people from posting in the trade section and offering their kits.

All valid points. The only reason I could see is if someone wanted a kit but the person who had the kit wasn't interested in what you had to trade. That may be the one kit someone else may have been looking for. Also if everyone posted two or three kits and the first to PM would get their choice. Just my two cents worth.

2 hours ago, Jeff Johnston said:

That was exactly the issue with the PIF thread.  I enjoyed watching it, but when someone got a brand new Revell Bronco and then offered up the Batman boat I got a little miffed.  It's really hard to keep a PIF thread on the up and up because frankly, some people are just going to eventually mess it up by offering junk.

That's the problem with a concept like this.

You will always have people that expect to get something for nothing.

I see this occasionally when just offering something for trade in general.

"I would really like to have your Johan 1970 GTX kit, but I have nothing to trade". :rolleyes:

On most occasions, I really enjoy helping people out, but there is a limit.

I thought about offering up a few rare kit trades, (because that's what I'm interested in) on the last PIF thread, but I knew that I would be disappointed in that regard.

Offer up a nice item & get a turd in exchange! <_<

Steve

I've gone full circle using the PM system instead of the PIF. It is a type of PIF.

A while back I had a want ad posted looking for a specific die-cast. A member here offered to send me what I wanted. He paid the shipping too.

A short time ago I had a trade ad up looking for something and I had pics of the kits I had to trade. Another member here didn't have what I was looking for but was interested in one of the kits I was offering. I shipped it to him not asking for anything in return.

It's one of the "what goes around comes around" type of things.

Someone helped me so I returned the favor.

This worked better for me than the PIF. The value of each item was not a concern. I was really grateful to get the item I wanted and I am certain the member I shipped to appreciated the kit. Win-win.

Edited by DPNM

It also got a bit tiring seeing Hobby Lobby sale kits being offered up, over and over! I know that the purpose was to offer a kit with not string attached, other than the person claiming would offer a kit, but it got pretty old seeing the same sale kits being offered up over and over to the point that no one claimed anything. And when someone would mention that perhaps they should offer something else, they either got upset or didn't have anything else to trade. 

Which bring me to this, if you do not have the stash to play with the others, then maybe stay out of the game. I understand that some don't have large collections, but they must realize that they are expected to play like the others and offers must be made. And not of the same open, half painted, half glued, parts missing and no box kit.