Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Chevy II

THORDOOR220

So, to calm myself after my disaster of a night at the drag strip yesterday, I've decided to throw another project on here. Probably a fairly common car for drag builds on here, but I'll have fun with it all the same. I'm sure many of you will recognize what kit it is right away. Where I'm at, I have the doors and trunk removed. Very start to a tube chassis. It has a scratch built wing and air dam. The body in general is in rather rough shape currently. I've got most of a procharged 572 bbc 3D printed, have a few things to reprint since they didn't turn out wonderfully. Lots of cleaning up to do. It'll have exhaust similar to the El Camino on Street Outlaws (cause, well, why not?) and a two tone paint job, anodized blue on top and white underneath. I've stripped the chrome, there's going to be very little on this car. Sorry for the overexposure in the pictures

This build is probably going to be slow going. A lot of printing and scratch building will be taking place, and between working 10s and school twice a week, I don't have a ton of time. Of course, comments/thoughts are always welcome. Thanks for looking

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Got a little work done. Chassis isn't done, but I might restart...I was trying to be cheap and straighten filament for my 3D printer to use for it, but it doesn't seem to straighten very well. Figure I'll finish it, and then just use it as a guide for a styrene one and for the engine mounting plate and what not. Focus on the engine itself till I build the actual chassis. I'll have to buy styrene rod probably tuesday or thursday. I still need to finish the hood, and then once the engine and chassis are together I can cut holes for the exhaust. I need to model wheels yet, too, anybody have suggestions?

1.JPG

2.JPG

6 hours ago, fordlover632 said:

I like the build can't wait to see it painted

Hey me too! lol

After discussing it with a friend, I think I might use this chassis after all. It's not the most square, but I've managed to straighten the real bad bars. I have some more bars in, like the front. I've also decided I'm going to use the kit dash, I have an idea of how to integrate it with the tube chassis. The fenders are separated now, and I'm considering making those and the hood one piece. I'll be working nights this week so I could get a lot done, or very little. Whichever it is, I'm hoping to have the chassis done shortly.

This is my personal favorite. I saw it at Bandimere when I went to the Dodge Mile High Nationals this year. It was the only door slammer in it's class. I never got to talk to the guy and see what was in it, but it was pretty sick. My original intention with this build was to replicate it, but finding paint and everything (while not knowing anything about it) made that difficult, so here we are. Another that helped make the Chevy II one of my favorite drag cars is Ziptie, JJ's old car on Street Outlaws Memphis. It's hard to beat the look of a Chevy II with slicks in the rear

IMG_4061.JPG

I've seen that car! Somebody definitely knows what they're doing with it! I actually considered doing a supercharger like that, but I wanted to see how well I could make a procharger or turbo work, so a build like that car will be coming up before too awful long.

I have a small update. I have the firewall mostly done, and a motor plate. The firewall will extend up to the dash when I get that in, that's all it needs besides finishing work. I still need to make mounting brackets for the motor plate, too, but that's not really firewall stuff. The chassis just needs a couple bars up front and the rest of the funny car cage, and a little work in the back, then it's done besides flooring, tubs, that sort of thing. The engine is in primer, just to help me make sure you can't see the layer lines from the printer.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by THORDOOR220

Little progress on the motor. Valve covers are the same blue that the top of the car will be. I'm having one problem right now, though. I'm trying to make the tubing from the procharger to the intake out of styrene tubing, and I can't seem to get it to cooperate. First time using styrene tubing, so I'll have to see if I can't find some help somewhere here in the forums. Also, you can see in my picture where the dash will sit. Still trying to figure out how everything will fit together there.

Also, just noticed a clearance issue up front. The chassis hits the crank sensor pulley thing (forget the name). I'll have to move the supports forward a bit

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by THORDOOR220

15 hours ago, mschlem66n said:

Here's another shot with the lime ice. I use rattle can,not sure if they have it for a airbrush. Keep the pics coming :)

1471822659080.jpg

I don't have an airbrush, so that would work fine. I have seen that paint before, which I do like. Just for replicating that car, it shouldn't be a metallic color is all. The anodized blue I'm using for this model was an idea I got from his car, since his was anodized green (that I can't seem to find anywhere). If I can't get somebody to mix something similar to what the car really was, that is probably going to be my best bet. Also, was that normal chrome bare metal foil for the trim on that car? The stuff on my impala build didn't turn out near that shiny

Haven't done much. Got the dash in, still cleaning it up. 3D printed a 3 speed Lenco trans, have to clean that up yet. I've been kinda fighting the rear of the chassis, I'll show you that when I finally get it. Once I print out a new seat (the one I wanted to use is technically 1/24 scale and doesn't fit how I want it to), I can finish the funny car cage. Probably won't make much progress today, since I'm going to hang out with Aaron Kaufman and a couple other guys at a track not too far from here. Hopefully I can do a little more tomorrow and have more progress to show

1.JPG

17 hours ago, DISKODEE said:

Nice build!!! I like how you managed to fit the stock dash into the cage... I'm building the same car, turbo with the a2w intercooler in the passenger seat and couldn't find a way to make the dash work so I had to go with a racepac cluster! 

I considered going with a racepak as well, but I wanted an old school feel to the car, besides the motor. The dash is a little short width wise, and it sits just barely too low, but I think it'll work. Hope so anyways. I'm still trying to come up with other systems I might need to fit in the passenger seat and trunk. I went without an alternator, so it'll have 2 batteries next to the fuel cell in the trunk. I'm not sure what to put on the other side to even them out though....

I'm printing out a new seat at the moment. While it's printing, I'm either going to work on the rear of the chassis again or start on the bodies of the doors and structural parts of the body itself. I have pieces for tubs cut out, too, I might shape those today if I get around to it.

My 3D printer is giving me fits, so might be a little bit before I actually get a decent seat printed. I've decided I need to start on suspension before getting too carried away elsewhere. I was wondering, how do you guys remove wheel backings? What I did on my impala model was drill out the perimeter (as I've started here), and then cut the remaining pieces with an xacto. However, this is going to take forever with these thick backings. I was going to use a power drill, but don't have one that will fit my small bits, so my pin vise is my only option. Any ideas?

Don't have any other updates as of yet. I'll try to get something worth showing done

1.JPG

Think I found my problem with the printer. However, I don't know how to fix it yet. So, rather than trying to fix the problem, I simply scratch built a seat and rear end (because that makes sense...right?). Both need work yet, but getting there. Hopefully my driver is skinny, cause that seat can't fit a very big person. I'm a little guy, and I would barely fit. It'd be tight. The rear end has been a pain, but it's the right width and everything. Still need to make a centersection for it. The doors have partial bodies as well, now, too, and I found something to use for the charge pipe on the motor. I believe you guys have seen everything else. It isn't much, but it's something. Hopefully it'll have rear suspension soon.

1.JPG

A little. The seat now has a hole for harness straps to go through, that and the rear end, tranny, and engine are painted. And I put in some sheet styrene where the trunk goes and FINALLY finished the rear of the chassis. But that is not pretty at this point in time, still cleaning it up. I don't have pictures at the moment, I'll get some posted with hopefully more progress this weekend.

Edit: Actually, here's a few pictures. Sorry for the one being dark. I finished the funny car cage tonight, so I thought I'd share. There's only a bar or two left, and a few little pieces of sheeting maybe, then I can primer the cage and go from there. Also thinking I might use the kit wheels, idk if I said that before.

1.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by THORDOOR220