Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update...re the Backstory behind the new book "Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits"

Everyone....I was just notified by the Publisher that they are planning to reprint the book. 

As part of the reprint, they will be accommodating my ongoing list of minor corrections and clarifications.  I have already noted the suggestions/feedback previously voiced in this Forum thread and will add those as appropriate.   

If anyone else has noticed any errors or areas that would benefit from a minor tweak to improve understanding or accuracy, please let me know by replying to this thread or by PM to me by Tuesday, January 15th. 

And a very big THANKS to all who have already bought a copy of my book.....much appreciated! 

.....TIM  

DSC 0572

Edited by tim boyd

Great news, and good for you! B)

I thought I spotted one more minor thing a couple weeks ago, but can't recall what it was right now. Must have been really minor. B) I'll see if I can take another look. 

On a more positive note, I was impressed how often in reading your book, you'd start talking about a particular kit and I'd think "Yeah, but it has such-and-such a flaw"...and then you'd mention the very same thing! :blink: So, good on you for the honesty in this book! Well done, and model--and write!--on! B)

Great book.  If possible please mention the 71-73 MPC Mustang kits have vents in the hood.  No 71-73 Mustang had them.  I assume they assumed there would be vents on the real cars but they never fixed this flaw in the kit.  Aside from the many other flaws of the kit, this one bugs me the most as I have to fill in the vents and sand it smooth to have a more accurate hood.

A list of the many other flaws of the AMT and MPC kits can be read on this website.

Https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/mustang.htm

Edited by vamach1

39 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Great book.  If possible please mention the 71-73 MPC Mustang kits have vents in the hood.  No 71-73 Mustang had them.  I assume they assumed there would be vents on the real cars but they never fixed this flaw in the kit.  Aside from the many other flaws of the kit, this one bugs me the most as I have to fill in the vents and sand it smooth to have a more accurate hood.

A list of the many other flaws of the AMT and MPC kits can be read on this website.

Https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/mustang.htm

Rex...thanks for the comment and also the link.  One point in the link I noted was incorrect myself. 

The AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1 kit has the lower molding along the bodyline because the standard Mach 1 version in 1/1 scale had a flat black lower rocker panel treatment, and the horizontal molding served to cover the factory paint break between the body color and the flat black lower rocker.  Still,,,really interesting info and comparison of the AMT and MPC '71 kits.  I've painted both bodies (the AMT in '71 Grabber Lime and the MPC in '72 factory Bright Lime) and I have finished the interior on the AMT kit as well....someday hopefully both will be finished!   TIM 

8 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Rex...thanks for the comment and also the link.  One point in the link I noted was incorrect myself. 

The AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1 kit has the lower molding along the bodyline because the standard Mach 1 version in 1/1 scale had a flat black lower rocker panel treatment, and the horizontal molding served to cover the factory paint break between the body color and the flat black lower rocker.  Still,,,really interesting info and comparison of the AMT and MPC '71 kits.  I've painted both bodies (the AMT in '71 Grabber Lime and the MPC in '72 factory Bright Lime) and I have finished the interior on the AMT kit as well....someday hopefully both will be finished!   TIM 

So many bodies, so many colors.  Who will finish first? :D

The chrome strip on the real car was present if the side stripes were NOT included,  If they were put on from the factory, the chrome strip was deleted.  You see people add the stripes but leave the chrome strip on.

IMG_3637.PNG

Edited by vamach1

Thank you for a great book - I was fortunate to find one under the Christmas tree!

We have our first club meeting of the year in a couple of hours and I will be taking it along - so you may get one or two more sales hopefully.

16 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks for the check, it's corrected now!

Rob

Just now, robdebie said:

Rob

Rob...after reading your website critique, last night I checked the bodies of my in-progress '71 and '72 Mach 1 projects.

The MPC '72 kit as the vents in the hood as shown in your website images.....but the AMT '71 kit has the smooth hood (no vents).  Both of these bodies are original issue annual kits.  I might have misread your web pages.....I thought you said that both the AMT and MPC kits had the vents.....anyway, thanks for a highly comprehensive and excellent /informative review of both the AMT and MPC tools..... TIM

Tim, I found the other one I spotted the other day. 

Page 94, first paragraph, where you're telling how AMT lost the promo contract for 1968 Chevies. I believe the "1968" and "for 1968" terms are switched vis a vis the "wishy-washy" and "declarative" descriptions. Unless I'm reading it wrong somehow, it says exactly the opposite of what you meant to say. B)

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Tim, I found the other one I spotted the other day. 

Page 94, first paragraph, where you're telling how AMT lost the promo contract for 1968 Chevies. I believe the "1968" and "for 1968" terms are switched vis a vis the "wishy-washy" and "declarative" descriptions. Unless I'm reading it wrong somehow, it says exactly the opposite of what you meant to say. B)

Thanks Richard....I will check that out.....Best Regards.....TIM  

8 hours ago, robdebie said:

Rob

Thanks Rob.  I did not realize you were on the Forum or I did not make the connection to the excellent website review.  Did you see the review I did when the MPC kit was reissued.  I ripped it up pretty good.

2 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Tim, I have yet to get a copy of your book. I am quite sure it is excellent, based on your past books and writings. I look forward to getting a copy, and I can tell you, Rex is an expert on all things Mustang. He has been a tremendous resource on all of my Mustang builds.

Thanks Ron.  It helps being able to go look in the garage and look at the real thing. ;)

On 1/8/2019 at 2:41 PM, tim boyd said:

The MPC '72 kit as the vents in the hood as shown in your website images.....but the AMT '71 kit has the smooth hood (no vents).  Both of these bodies are original issue annual kits.  I might have misread your web pages.....I thought you said that both the AMT and MPC kits had the vents.....anyway, thanks for a highly comprehensive and excellent /informative review of both the AMT and MPC tools..... TIM

I reread my web page, but I cannot find the reference to the AMT kit having the vent slots. I called them 'louvers' in the original version, but changed that to 'vent slots' in the updated one.

BTW, I wonder whether some Ford prototypes had the vent slots after all. I checked my '1964 1/2 thru 1973 Mustang recognition guide', and on page 187 I think I see a car with the vent slots!

Rob

17 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Thanks Rob.  I did not realize you were on the Forum or I did not make the connection to the excellent website review.  Did you see the review I did when the MPC kit was reissued.  I ripped it up pretty good.

No problem, I'm an irregular poster here. It's a great forum!

Regarding your review, I think I just found it:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/118409-73-mustang-kit-review/?tab=comments#comment-1715987

I will review it carefully and update my webpage where necessary, and add a link to it of course. Thanks!

Rob

Tim, as so many here have pointed out already, the book is a joyful read, brilliant source of information and great inspiration. I was happy to be able to order it quickly easily from Amazon Germany, but I would have ordered it from anywhere... Happy to hear that there will be a second print-run. May I ask what the quantity was for the first print-run?

Just placed an order for your book Tim on Ebay UK and although my field of interest regarding the building of scale model cars is not actually American Muscle Cars, there is sure to be a wealth of fascinating knowledge among your thousands of words and hundreds of photos!

Having studied three pages of brilliant reviews here on MCM forums I simply had to order a copy quickly, before they are all gone! The Waterstones website was stating ' Currently Unavailable to Order ' and ' Publisher Out of Stock ', while the Ebay website only had 2 copies available ( One of which I reserved ).

Good luck with your whole publishing experience Tim...... I just have to wait 3 weeks to get my copy of your book! ( I can wait ).

David Watson, Derbyshire, England, UK

Thanks everyone for your updated info and comments. 

Rob and Rex....there are indeed many instances where model kits reflect "planned but not delivered" elements of 1/1 vehicle designs, and I too suspect that was exactly the case with the hood vents.  In fact, I did a whole story on this phenomenon (with details and images) on the other model car magazine about 3-4 years ago.  

Tommy, I'm pretty sure the Publisher would kill me if I divulged the print run info...but let's just say that all books these days have initial print runs that are a fraction of what was typical 15-20 years ago.  The internet has largely replaced much of the book trade.  Of course, as many authors and publishers point out, the quality/reliability of info provided on the internet is, shall we say, of "variable" quality....:)   It is kind of at the point now where writing a book is no longer a viable source of income....which is why some of the car book trade's best authors have pretty much left the business.....

David....thanks for the info...I try to keep up to a degree with the book inventory/sales situation, but was not aware of the info you provided....

Best Regards all....TIM