Model Cars Magazine Forum

Die-Cast Safety Truck for Race Track

dwdirks

I needed a race safety truck for my slot car racetrack so I found a cheap ($5) 1/32 scale  die-cast 1950's Ford pickup and converted it into a race-ready safety truck.  It's just a static model, I did not convert it into an actual slot truck. The Safety Truck adds just a little bit realism on my slot car track. 

fS1sgQGuPc9FBLR_9pjh7KQrDpm163ozZ8zRVMMq

The safety workers are from a Marx toy set that were called NASA workers. I  will restyle them to look like race track safety personnel. The jack and part of the fire extinguisher are from an old Scalextric pit box set. The light bar is from a rally slot car. The broom is cobbled together from bits of wood and a slice of foam sheet. The gas can is a rectangular piece from an electrical board with some wire insulation for the filler neck. The hose in the truck bed is some insulated wire with a scrounged metal fitting on the end that I thought looked like a hose end. Balsa wood push bars were added to the front and rear bumpers.

knea7ASx5V1CikeMo5hUUVMNUJI-1jbWVuh9X9xb

aMAOccP5Ixmcv7OSId0qI_dmo8wNJ9Olfbh-AtvE

nntilu9nX-RaGkdx28t6ddKNhYHcM0kVzehWY7pV

The race flags are made from bits of stiff wire with shiny paper flags in red, green, yellow, black and white.

DwnbRksa55wC1XmW8s3NM3Gp0XuaVd0hjbjpPu3V

The truck is getting pretty full of safety gear.

yYMqlmzSyr3vBtRh-0tOMmbh3hQ3hiSy9LbPgezf

1XX3ekGv20gstxh0NbLjkdjSAlAML7rcjvOU6rjl

Our safety truck is now nearing completion. Now we need to hire some workers to operate the truck.

HXV40RVcS3dWcjc-xlQnEMFLZyfJOJ41g3ZZFMKk

The truck is pretty much ready to go but the new crew members are still a little bit up in the air while their uniforms get the finishing touch.

zkZ7ucWY3kX7Q1lfU39FKlGZFLpScsSLXr92LkZp

They don't look too happy right now.

kWrGJvQ8d63t5Ha0eTc-AqhSSWV2KuMDOjQe4vAg

The safety crew members are finally on the job.

zXBtibK06hZIPRB6HWm-aQr4QW0ZxBXiFOjLDFGm

Ready for action at the highest point of Overlook Raceway Park.

h8kdTApkIefE5I7gdcsfi18gD9n5b1NXlUGm7fQe

The no. 38 Mustang is leading the no. 88 Camaro as they fly by the Safety Truck and crew. 

Phirewriter, High octane and Gramps46, 

thanks for the comments and questions. I found the truck at a tourist place in Lancaster County, PA, I'm sure you can also find it online if you search for inexpensive 1/32 scale die-cast. I will try to post some photos of my track in the slot car section in the next few days. I did already post about my F150 Racing Truck a few months ago. Here's a link: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/121280-f-150-race-truck/