Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any interest in NeoClassics?

Just spent time online looking up the history on the Renwal Revival series and it got me thinking. 

Does anybody else but me have any interest in 70s Neo-Classic cars? Like Zimmers, Excaliburs, Stutz Blackhawks, etc. 

bh75vic2.jpg.1479ecfa94ac16634936cd50425f525e.jpg

They're tacky, but kinda interesting in modern/retro/classic kinda way.

I'm thinking of trying some conversions/kitbashing using newer and older kits. But I'd really like to have a correct kit of the Blackhawk. I'd want to build one like Elvis owned. And don't get me started on how I want the SuperFly kit reissued to get me going.

Player-Myth-4081-The-Dope-Ride.jpg.ed8390e455fd3498d8d5405ebebff7df.jpg

elvis-presley-stutz-blackhawk2.jpg.3c56be4f15a751092978eefe4800157b.jpg

1973-Stutz-Blackhawk-Elvis-a.jpg.df9ae4a3778379561a0cfb6a15d9fc19.jpg

Zimmer Mustangs 

ebay438671.jpg.45676a95849314a65ba0e16cca544c82.jpg

Berlinna Firebirds

34_neoclassic-1985-Johnson-Phantom-National.jpg.18d9fa3afe8e6f530183267f8c516e4a.jpg

Spartan 280zx and 300zx

5b8b6a6d44070_49_313_1987_CUSTOM_SPARTANII_2.jpg.507be6e7a9ac5996044483ed82765250.jpg

There was even some made using 80s Buick Regals (I don't know the name)

5b8b6b4149937_1979PacificCoachworksDiNapoli.jpg.1932c7ce7525e63ec9cbb7964e009853.jpg

Anyone else, or is this just a freak dream of mine?

Edited by Oldcarfan27

I know, I don't really care for the old flat, fendered MG roadsters. I'm digging the barroque, quasi, moderne streamlined Mercedes or Auburn Speedster look that was plopped onto new car bodies in the 70s and 80s. You know, with sweeping fenders, chrome standup grilles and wide wire wheels, but modern coupe or convertible bodies. 

Call it a sickness, but I'm hooked. Maybe it's because I'm so tired of the current homogenized, generic, jellybean, cookie-cutter cars available today that I'm longing to see the unique, flowing, coachbuilt creations that haven't been done since the 30s. Cars that were designed by artists who had a passion for style and love for the automobile, not by corporate bean-counters and computer program engineers. Yuck.??

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

These are interesting to look (and sometimes laugh) at, but not enough to interest me in building a model of one. 

Richard...yeah I know the Grand Prix Super Fly kit is an abomination of what was a great factory stock kit once but I have a sentimental reason for wanting one...LOL..  

Yeah, bring 'em on!  I love these cars, and schemed for years to try and get one. But even today, they sell for stupid money, and their rotten 1970-1980's underpinnings are falling apart.  As for the Superfly kit, just run the Sweathogs version, and we'll do the rest.

Since I doubt there are enough people wanting kits like these, I'm thinking I could be satisfied with an "interpretation" model rather than an exact replica. I could dig up some junker Monogram or Johan classics and blend them into a Mustang, Buick, Datsun or Camaro body and see what I come up with.

Could be fun.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

I do like the original Excalibur SS roadsters, I friend of mine has a 66 longfender one in black. Cool cars, but very far from the luxoboats that where made later by Excalibur, Zimmer and other already mentioned. The SS roadster is an open two seater with no real roof, the doors are cut down and are more like just a small flap than a door and the interior space is intimate to say the least.
A 1:25 model of one of those would be cool.
But the later luxoboats? Who knows, maybe I would buy them if someone made a good kit of them. A full detail kit would also give us parts to use on other things.

Here is a roadster similar to the one my friend has:
ca0813-161466_2@2x.jpg?1371215888000
It is built on the chassis of a Studebaker Lark, has a Chevy SB and gearbox from a Corvette. The discbrakes are made by Dunlop and are the same type that was used on Jaguar XK140. The brakemastercylinder is a GM one. Many parts come from many different sources and bodypanels are bespoke to the car, handbuilt and will only fit that car. The grille looks like a Mercedes grille and the car is supposed to resemble a ca 1928 Mercedes SSK.

Edited by Atmobil

Then there's George Barris' creation, the "Barrister" Built on a '70s Corvette chassis. Several of these were supposedly made and sold to some movie stars. 

I don't think it looks too bad. Better than a lot of neo-classics. A lot of Stutz Blackhawk in this design.

1982%2520Barrister.jpg

19 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Then there's George Barris' creation, the "Barrister" Built on a '70s Corvette chassis. Several of these were supposedly made and sold to some movie stars. 

I don't think it looks too bad. Better than a lot of neo-classics. A lot of Stutz Blackhawk in this design.

1982%2520Barrister.jpg

I'd drive one, they'd be fun to drive around.  Building a scale model would be fun too. 

I do like the earlier Blackhawks; if you wanted to build one you'd probably have to mashup the Renwal Stutz from the cowl back with the front clip from the Renwal Duesenberg. Chassis could be a stretched AMT Monte Carlo unit (close enough unless you have a gluebomb Grand Prix).

And yep, they were popular with the celebs:

dino.jpg.20804867fd097238344c79b71442c041.jpg

On 2.9.2018 at 9:02 PM, Greg Myers said:

$_35.jpg

1.jpg

1044-deckel.jpg

Anyone here built any of these? Are they good or bad?
I have seen them on Ebay but never bought one so far. 1:12 is a bit to big for my taste but I do have other largescale kits aswell so I could have these aswell.