Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's see your Richard Petty builds

jchrisf

being a petty fanatic I have 9 builts and 4 or 5 unbuilts...this is the only one I have pics of.  its a phantom-what if nascar hadn't restricted winged cars so much and they were used in 71...based on the mpc kit that had the wing and nose...dual level wing is due to seeing some test cars like this...even saw opne with 3 levels

petty71 016.jpg

petty71 018.jpg

Very cool Jeff... I look forward to seeing your other Petty builds.

I hope they are cheap.  I have the AMT '83 Grand Prix and was wanting another one but when I looked on eBay they were selling for upwards of $80.  There is not even much to that kit

I'm doing an AMT/ERTL 83' kit right now.  I didn't have the right paint and didn't know what to get but I had some Anodized Duplicolor in blue and red and thought it would be cool to try that like a candy coat.  I put Duplicolor chrome down first and then applied the Anodized colors.  I actually ended up putting down too much blue so I started over because the color was too dark.  I tried it again and still got too much color on but it is impossible with the can and the garage is too hot for airbrushing.  The anodized red was too dark so I started over and laid down some Tamiya clear red.  Still got too much on but it ended up turning out better than I thought.  Not true petty colors but maybe a more modern day, candy coat version.  There is a lot of paint on this car from all the re-dos but I like it.  Going to clear it tomorrow.  The red looks a little dark in the pic but it is not like that in person.

IMG_0662.thumb.JPG.beca47005119c62bcd2571741144b781.JPG

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.979126c34ea4071da2affbdc90408b19.JPG

Edited by jchrisf

15 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I'm doing an AMT/ERTL 83' kit right now.  I didn't have the right paint and didn't know what to get but I had some Anodized Duplicolor in blue and red and thought it would be cool to try that like a candy coat.  I put Duplicolor chrome down first and then applied the Anodized colors.  I actually ended up putting down too much blue so I started over because the color was too dark.  I tried it again and still got too much color on but it is impossible with the can and the garage is too hot for airbrushing.  The anodized red was too dark so I started over and laid down some Tamiya clear red.  Still got too much on but it ended up turning out better than I thought.  Not true petty colors but maybe a more modern day, candy coat version.  There is a lot of paint on this car from all the re-dos but I like it.  Going to clear it tomorrow.  The red looks a little dark in the pic but it is not like that in person.

IMG_0662.thumb.JPG.beca47005119c62bcd2571741144b781.JPG

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.979126c34ea4071da2affbdc90408b19.JPG

Nothing wrong with that. Looks fantastic. 

19 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Those look awesome Jim!  What colors did you use?  What are the best colors to use for Petty blue and red?

Thank you Chris.  I used Testor's Grabber Blue for both.  The red on the Magnum were decals.  It is a neon red if you have to paint.

11 minutes ago, Jim N said:

Thank you Chris.  I used Testor's Grabber Blue for both.  The red on the Magnum were decals.  It is a neon red if you have to paint.

Good to know Jim.. Thanks!  I hope to do some with the correct colors someday.

3 hours ago, Rider said:

Nothing wrong with that. Looks fantastic. 

Thanks Rider.. I finished it.  The windshield was messed up and I am not sure I am even going to put it in but I didn't glue the body on just in case.  I also need to put some molotow on the fuel cap and rub out the clear as it fogged on me a little.  The exhaust is Molotow chrome, the wheels are Duplicolor Perfect Match Chrome and the interior is Duplicolor Automotive Metallic Chrome.

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.068bccb1e4285451cc62ba9b01a9be9b.JPG

42 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Good to know Jim.. Thanks!  I hope to do some with the correct colors someday.

Thanks Rider.. I finished it.  The windshield was messed up and I am not sure I am even going to put it in but I didn't glue the body on just in case.  I also need to put some molotow on the fuel cap and rub out the clear as it fogged on me a little.  The exhaust is Molotow chrome, the wheels are Duplicolor Perfect Match Chrome and the interior is Duplicolor Automotive Metallic Chrome.

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.068bccb1e4285451cc62ba9b01a9be9b.JPG

Wow, looks awesome great job. Do you mean you got glue on the windshield? If you did I will post up pics of a seriously messed windshield that I polish back to being crystal clear. I am not a NASCAR fan but always liked the Petty Cars, probably the only car I would ever build. 

26 minutes ago, Rider said:

Wow, looks awesome great job. Do you mean you got glue on the windshield? If you did I will post up pics of a seriously messed windshield that I polish back to being crystal clear. I am not a NASCAR fan but always liked the Petty Cars, probably the only car I would ever build. 

The windshield is cracked and has a big groove in it.. It is beyond repair but how do you polish windshields?  I've always wondered how to make them look crystal clear. 

I used to be a little bit of a NASCAR fan but haven't been a fan at all for about 10 years now, however, I like the cars.. they are not my favorite but after building a couple I really like building them.  I'm going to be getting more to hone my skills with because they are so fun.

Truly the best kits to hone your assembly skills are found with a Tamiya kit. I say this because you can hone your assembly and painting  skills and detail the krap out of them without getting frustrated with I'll fitting issues  many of the other brands have more of. 

Of course every manufacture has kits that are a PIA the get right, it's just that Tamiya kits are the cream of the crop with far less kits that fall into the PIA to assemble category.  They are known as Shake 'n build kits for a reason, putmpaint and gluemin thenbox and shake.  The engineering and assembly process of these kits are so well thought out they almost build themselves, ejection pin marks, and seams are so well placed you can almost get away with no prep work. Almost any kit can be built into a nice looking end product, it's just that the Tamiya kits take far less effort and frustration. 

Edited by Rider