Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quick diecast repair question

I picked up a Danbury Mint 1966 Mustang convertible (complete but without box or certificate-meh) for $2 at a yard sale yesterday.  The wind wing was easily reset with white glue.  I've got to cut a piece of plastic to replace the "glass" (thinking a piece of plastic packaging) and found that the windshield frame was broken at the bottom left corner.  What kind of (clear) glue should I use to fix these things and where to get it?

Off the top of my alleged head...

Along with white glue, Elmer's makes a clear all-purpose glue.  That's a quick fix and might work if the Mustang is going to be on a shelf and not be handled much.  It seems to have about the same strength as white glue, so not all that much.

For the strongest bond, a two-part clear epoxy is probably best. It sets very strong, but still has some shear strength/flexibility, unlike super-glues.  You can buy it under a bunch of different brand names at Loews or Home Despot. I've always had good luck with Devcon 5-Minute Epoxy, but I started using it many years ago.  Mixing the stuff can be messy and it smells like a dead horse when wet, but it's always worked for me on these kind of jobs.

I'm sure the board members will have other good advice on this.

Edited by Mike999
goof