Model Cars Magazine Forum

Productive day painting (71-73 Mustangs)

vamach1

15 minutes ago, mod3l Lover said:

Why so many Rex? They do look good though!!!

Doing a coupe, convertible, sprint, Boss 351, 72 & 73 Mach 1's, 007 Mach1, some fastbacks, a Shelby Europa, 429 CJ, 351HO, Eleanor, and some racing versions in various colors.

Edited by vamach1

Decided on doing a competition orange Boss 351 (special order colors) instead of the metallic blue.  Just for a change I primed a 96 Cobra convertible with black metallic to be covered with Testors color shift and Tamiya clear to replicate the mystic chrome paint.

IMG_2783.JPG

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Did I miss any colors?  I have four bodies left plus the Minuteman drag car.  I am thinking a lighter metallic blue, Lime green, silver and perhaps a medium green.

IMG_3036.JPG

Very impressive stable! I have a similar affliction, except it's 68-69 Fairlane/Torinos. I have about 30 so far. :D

Here's a couple of 71s I want to do.......

2v2JzRGayxfjhLg.jpg

2v2uMRQPFxfjhLg.jpg

3 hours ago, fairlane1320 said:

Very impressive stable! I have a similar affliction, except it's 68-69 Fairlane/Torinos. I have about 30 so far. :D

2v2JzRGayxfjhLg.jpg

2v2uMRQPFxfjhLg.jpg

I saw the Boss 351 @ an auction and decided do to that special order color for 1971.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mister 4x4 said:

I hate that the color palette isn't even close to reality.

For instance, Ford Paint Code 'V' - Light Pewter Metallic.

Frankcarshow_2017-4.jpg

Irony-1024x768.jpg

It's one of those colors that kind of depends on the lighting. ;)

Yes - I have a friend with a 73 Mach1 that color and it's on my list - just a hard color to find a match.  Funny how it look green on my screen.

Edited by vamach1

On 11/9/2018 at 12:19 AM, spike morelli said:

I have a "still-in-the-plastic-sealed-wrapper" '71 Mach 1 kit, not sure when and if I'll get to building it. There's also the real thing sitting in the driveway.....a Medium Yellow-Gold one.

IMG_3195.JPG

Now that is very nice.  One of the best original looking unmolested ones I have seen.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:23 PM, fairlane1320 said:

2v2JzRGayxfjhLg.jpg

2v2uMRQPFxfjhLg.jpg

What Color is this? It looks very similar to Grabber Orange....

1 hour ago, Keesee17 said:

I need some of the Medium Goldenrod Yellow for a ‘73 Mercury Cougar...  where are you sourcing it?

Those yellow orangish colors are a challenge.  Model car World should be able to mix it.  I will start will yellow over an orange base and if not satisfied try mixing my own.  I have some very large spray cans of Wimbledon white and grabber blue for a sprint I had and of course Medium Bright Yellow of my Mach1. Those came from Mustang parts vendors and it's made by Raindow Industries.  I did some more searching and it is slim pickings for exterior paint.  All I could find is one vendor on Ebay that might custom mix it for about $20.  None of the Mustang places sell the body paint anymore.  Probably some environmentalists complained too much.

Found one more source that looks promising but not cheap.  See below for TouchUp direct.

IMG_3202.PNG

IMG_3203.PNG

IMG_3204.PNG

IMG_3206.PNG

Edited by vamach1
Paint

Thanks for the info Rex... I was suspecting that I would need to mix the Goldenrod paint by hand... It shouldn’t be too difficult to get a convincing match. I’ll be visting a nice hobby shop in St. Louis over thanksgiving that has a good selection of Tamiya sprays so maybe find something there...