Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Pontiac Catalina Ventura

minkos

Absolutely Gorgeous! Yeah, this can be a fiddly kit, but if one takes their time.....it can be made into something quite beautiful! :wub:

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Very nice work Mark!

Haven't seen a lot of these being built yet.

Steve

I believe the glass issues have been a turnoff for a lot of builders. I'd like to tackle this one down the road, and I may have yet a further way to make the glass not so daunting. I get why Moebius did it this way as that's how glass is fitted in 1:1's, but for someone not familiar with the techniques in making the it appear right in the body, it can make for a frustrating build.

Same goes for the wheels...........very nice when done, but perhaps too many steps in getting there.

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful. I haven't gotten this yet for financial reasons, but am curious as to what the problems with the glass and wheels are, and how do you fix them?

Lee, I did a pretty extensive post a couple years ago on how to fix the troubles with the Pontiac's glass and wheels. If you click here, it'll take you to my original post. Also, I have a Fotki page where all those pics are posted along with descriptions. That can be found here.

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks all.  Mr. Obsessive's tips are what helped me through this build (thank you Bill)!  As to the core support, most of the upper portion has to be removed, out to about half of the grille pin receptors on each side.  I also removed a little of the backside of the grille/bumper piece.

Actually this is the second Moebius Ventura that i built; on the first one (finished in Mayan Gold and Cherrywood Bronze), i chickened out on the 8 lugs and went for the steel wheels and poverty caps.  After going to a local car show recently and taking a bunch of photos of 8 lugs in 1:1, i finally got my act together and conquered the scale versions.

IMG_0639 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0643 - Copy.JPG

Beautiful build. Looks as good as the 1:1. I built a Venture a couple of years ago also. I was only able to get it looking as nice as it does by using the tips from MrObsessive. The core support and the windows along with the 8 lug wheels are a challenge but work perfectly following his advice.  I really like your color choices, your builds are like looking at the showroom floor in 1961.    

Love it. Nice to see one put together in stock form. I always just see the race car version. Any more pics of the gold one? I'm currently building one as a replica of my friends car. major surgery required though. Turning it into a 4 door, X framed 61 Strato Chief  with an inline 6. It's going to be over a year to build since I just pick away slowly at it between builds. This inspires!